Canada to allow same sex marriage

javapride

Reaction score
TORONTO (June 18) - Canada will change its law to allow homosexual marriage, joining Belgium and The Netherlands as the only countries where same-sex couples can legally wed, Prime Minister Jean Chretien announced Tuesday.

Chretien said the new law would be drafted within weeks and submitted to the Supreme Court of Canada for review, then put to a Parliament vote. His Liberal Party has a commanding majority in the legislature, though the issue has caused division in the Liberal caucus.

The announcement means the government decided against appealing recent court rulings that declared the nation's definition of marriage as unconstitutional because it specified the union of a man and woman.

An Ontario appeals court last week declared that wording invalid, changing it to a union between two people.

``There is an evolution of society,'' Chretien said in making the announcement after a Cabinet meeting. He said the law would allow religions the right to decide what marriages should be sanctified.

An Anglican diocese in Vancouver has approved a blessing for same-sex unions, which it says is separate from marriage. The blessing ceremony, performed once so far, caused a split in the diocese with some churches dissociating themselves.

Opinion polls indicate a slight majority of Canadians favor legalizing same-sex marriages. After the Ontario appeals court ruling and similar previous ones by courts in British Columbia and Quebec, the government was under pressure to change the law or file appeals that would have left the issue unsettled.

Justice Minister Martin Cauchon said Tuesday it was time for change.

``We have decided not to appeal those rulings ... and proceeded with draft legislation that will be ready shortly ,'' he said. The new law would redefine marriage as called for by the courts while protecting religious freedoms, according to Cauchon.

``We're talking about essential freedoms here,'' he said.

Svend Robinson, a Parliament member for the leftist New Democratic Party who has pushed for same-sex marriages in Canada, praised Chretien's government for showing leadership. He rejected opposition by conservative political groups, who argue that changing the definition of marriage uproots a fundamental tenet of Canadian society.

Dozens of homosexual couples have obtained marriage licenses in the week since the court ruling, with at least one wedding taking place.

In the United States, homosexual marriage lacks full legal recognition in all 50 states. Vermont recognizes civil unions that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage but are separate from legal marriage.

``Americans now have the chance to see a society can treat gay people with respect,'' said Evan Wolfson, executive director of the New York-based Freedom to Marry organization promoting homosexual marriage. ``Families are helped, and no one is hurt.''

06/17/03 21:59 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

IF U are a AOL user and u happen to support the same sex marriage PLEASE VOTE UR POLL YES so we can show more support for the gays and lesbains who just want nothing but happiness!

im in SUPPORT of same sex marriages and benefits that are given to hetrosexual partners

You know who you are, wanna move to Canada and get married? :-P

All kidding aside, I am in support of gay and lesbian marriages. It is no brainer about it, because right now we are denied full rights.

Originally posted by kuifje75

All kidding aside, I am in support of gay and lesbian marriages. It is no brainer about it, because right now we are denied full rights.

yes true Kufije -- here in my county domestic partners are allowed same benefits and etc as hetrosexual couples short of legalized marriages *smh* but at least thats a start

correct me if im wrong isn t San Fagsiscio also full rights of support for gays and lesbain marraiges unless its just a once a yr reconiztion???

Good question about SF law on gay marriages. I strongly feel that gay marriage is still not recognizable in SF or elsewhere in the state of California.

if u have a chance u can find out at the GBLT in SF at DCARA they might have the info????

Originally posted by javapride
In the United States, homosexual marriage lacks full legal recognition in all 50 states. Vermont recognizes civil unions that give homosexual couples the full benefits and responsibilities of marriage but are separate from legal marriage.

Oh geez, our country's still ULTRA stubborn for not recognize legal marriage for gay and lesbian here. Only accept benefits and civil unions that's it. Not even "LEGAL" yet.

Give USA have lot of time after Canada adopt the laws for legal marriage. Maybe long time for adopt like next 20 years from now. Who knows???

Not mind to move there. Willing to become Canadian. Like their system espeically health service, culture, and many reasons.

I do believe Canada is pretty sweet open mind. That why they start accept gay marriage. :thumb:

"Oh geez, our country's still ULTRA stubborn for not recognize legal marriage for gay and lesbian here"

I hope y'all remember this in 2004 and vote for someone OTHER THAN BUSH!

The president doesn't have your concerns at heart. he only has his. and that my friend, is being selfish,

Originally posted by Bush_in_2004!
"Oh geez, our country's still ULTRA stubborn for not recognize legal marriage for gay and lesbian here"

I hope y'all remember this in 2004 and vote for someone OTHER THAN BUSH!

The president doesn't have your concerns at heart. he only has his. and that my friend, is being selfish,

:cool: *takes a look at your username*

is this a joke?

Bush_in_2004! said:
"is this a joke?"

lets just say I'm very disappointed in our president.

"I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman. And I think we ought to codify that.''

US President George Bush, The Age, August 1, 2003.

The question remains - did Bush get a gold star sticker on his forehead for saying a big word like codify? :rofl:

Same sex civil unions are legally recognized in Norway, but I don't think they are the same as full marriage rights unfortunately. Belgium and the Netherlands give full marriage rights. USA is a step backwards with Vermont only offering civil unions, not even a full marriage.

..."Calgary has suggested that (Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien) risks eternal damnation for proposing to give legal recognition to gay marriages.''

http://www.education.theage.com.au
:roll: somebody put out the fire!

Scandinavian link for Partners Task Force for Gay n Lesbian Couples - http://www.buddybuddy.com/d-p-scan.html

:nono: Billy Frist....

"However, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a Republican, said he would sponsor legislation seeking an amendment to the US Constitution prohibiting same-sex marriage."

Conservative Christian groups vowed to fight any change in laws allowing couples of the same gender to marry. But Integrity, the Episcopal (Anglican) gay and lesbian organization, was buoyed, saying that "no longer can opponents of the public celebration of same-sex unions in our church use the argument that such unions are 'illegal' in many states." The court's decision, it said, had in effect "put an end to that reality."
http://gc2003.episcopalchurch.org/ens/2003-152.html

Last edited:
I think that is a good start for Canada in allowing same sex marriage -- USA should follow suit very soon...they better do! Or else! :naughty:

OhioCincinn said:
I would not go as far as to saw that Canada is open minded. Toronto yes.

Try Ottawa!! KingCobra and I went down "The Promenade" which is known as Bank Street in Ottawa today and we stopped by this store that caters just to the Gay community. "One in Ten" caters just for gay men only and I went in the store today to get a few things for my close gay friends in USA, even the store gives out complimentary magazines about Ottawa/Hull, Quebec GLBI community. There's a "Black & Blue" Festival coming up in Montreal, Quebec from Oct 8-14, 2003. I wish I could scan a "Pride, not Prejudice" window static clinger that was really gorgeous with the pride colours and the Maple Leaf right in the middle but it wouldn't be able to work at all because it was too shiny.

http://www.bbcm.org/en_MainSite.htm
http://www.outlooks.ca/Distribution/ON.htm

Back