Can you recommend fiction with Deaf characters?

vegandreamer

Reaction score
I'm deaf blind and I like to read a lot. I like to read about people who are different in some way. Although there are a lot of books about gays (I'm bi) I don't know any book with deaf or deaf blind characters in them.
I'm mainly interested in fiction. I've seen the thread with non fiction books about Deaf culture and I'm going to look into it but I like fiction best.

There's "Tripping the Tale Fantastic", which has the work of multiple Deaf writers. I don't think all of the contributions have Deaf characters but some are bound to.

You can find it via an Amazon search.

Islay is the only one that readily comes to mind that is fiction (it may have been mentioned in the other thread already- or elsewhere). Very old book but good- I have a copy in one of my boxes.

There's a couple of mysteries too that have Deaf characters but for the life of me I can't remember the titles- those are buried in a box too *sigh* (no room here to put them anywhere... it ain't my house/home space.

Thanks Muse and Deaf Ducky.

Who wrote Islay?

Could you hunt for the mysteries as I like reading mysteries but I would need to know the title and authors.

Thanks Muse and Deaf Ducky.

Who wrote Islay?

Could you hunt for the mysteries as I like reading mysteries but I would need to know the title and authors.

Islay was written by Douglas Bullard.

I'll see what I can do. The boxes I want to get at are in the hall closet and a tad awkward to maneuver around....plus I don't usually dive in there with my parents around (read: hovering... :P)- Any time they go away for more than a day... I go in my boxes to look for stuff. I'm still looking for the tv remote too :P.

Thanks Deaf ducky. Do you live with your parents? I live alone but I have com guides five times a week. And their's Joe who lives upstairs who is also deaf blind who comes round.

Currently yes... I've been out of work for a while (and looking) so... living here saves money I guess...

Deaf Ducky: That's good. Do you get along with your parents. I wish you luck finding work.

Deaf Ducky: That's good. Do you get along with your parents. I wish you luck finding work.

Yes, I love them very much but there's only so much I can stand being around people- including family lol.

Thank you. Hopefully it won't be as painful as the last <mumbles number> years before my bootcamp...

You went to Bootcamp!!!

LOL Not military- I'm too old for that...

This was for a Web Development course-- they call it a 'bootcamp' because it's fast paced and three months (11-12 weeks) long as opposed to the traditional college courses/majors that last 2-4 years. All day (8ish hours) every day plus after hours (if you choose to.. I'm pretty sure some of my cohort mates didn't do ANYTHING outside of class...).

Now I'm job hunting. Many of my classmates already have jobs two months after our graduation. Slightly harder time for me what with age and likely deafness. And IF they're doing a soft request on my credit score... eep... mountain of debt = fair score....

There's a couple of mysteries too that have Deaf characters but for the life of me I can't remember the titles- those are buried in a box too *sigh* (no room here to put them anywhere... it ain't my house/home space.

I was able to google what I was trying to remember- the author of the books I have is Penny Warner. I don't know which titles I have but she has quite a few of them.

Dead Body Language is one I think I have.. from this series:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CJ7JF8K/ref=dp_st_0553575864
(7 books total in that series)

I'll be back if/when I dig up anymore of my fiction books that have deaf themes.

Back