Can Straights and Gays Be REAL Friends?

deafbrutha

Reaction score
I just read the original thread, and have to say, quite frankly what shit is this?

Homosexuality is NOT A CHOICE. Only some one who is not Gay or Lesbian would say that. I don't remember being asked if I wanted to be a fat, Furry Poof before I was born. Nah, I discovered my homosexuality quitee arly in life - even if I couldn't name it yet - and I must tell you, IT WAS A PLEASANT SURPRISE!

Homophobia is not a degrading word. If you think it is, then you may as well as say that racism, sexism, ageism, mysoginy are expressing opinions too. And that's the trouble with the world.

Why would anyone wanna be friends with someone who is homophobic, sexist, racist and all the other iks and isms, even worse, why would anyone wanna be friends with someone who thinks your lifestyle is not right? I can't see how you can be true friends, let alone good friends.

You would only end up acting like friends instead of being real friends!

i have quite alot of straight friends, and they have wonderful outlook on life, but u should also see this as a point too there are VERY many who are judgemental and feels like we are a *cootie* to them, consider this most of these straight poeple that we know of would say yah we support u but do u see them actually really rallying for u ? no they jsut say this to make u feel better, and then go around saying i can't belive so and so is a homosexual, they will go to hell for this blah blah some reglious fantaics also would do the same thing in all aspect!

hence my freinds who are straight are few and thats the way i like it, not need horde of friends who can't seem to shut up and whine abt certain issues on gays and lesbains.

well it is all about how ignorant the person is- if they are dumb ass ignorant - like says it to everyone, puts it up all over their racism attitude.....then hell no to that but if the person doesnt accept homosexuality but will be friends since it is not their life... maybe......but if the person is truly open minded (like me) then hell yeah we can be friends - smooches to ALL!!!!

I am straight ass but I have friends who are gay/lesbian and grew up with them, too.. I dont have any problems with them. but sad thing.. I love them to death. !!! hehe! :P

I know alot people are so ingorant!
Some members here.. are my friends who are Gay/Lesbians.. they know me well that i dont judge or hurt them.. even I cant hurt a fly.. :)eek:).. hehe

Originally posted by MsGiglz
I am straight ass but I have friends who are gay/lesbian and grew up with them, too.. I dont have any problems with them. but sad thing.. I love them to death. !!! hehe! :P

I know alot people are so ingorant!
Some members here.. are my friends who are Gay/Lesbians.. they know me well that i dont judge or hurt them.. even I cant hurt a fly.. :)eek:).. hehe

:werd: to a darling mama like u , U have been a WONDERFUL support for us all :) thanks and kudos for u !

my answer -- YES straight and gay/lesbians CAN be REAL friends -- i have plenty of straight friends as well and they dont see me as a lesbian but as a person

Originally posted by Fly Free
my answer -- YES straight and gay/lesbians CAN be REAL friends -- i have plenty of straight friends as well and they dont see me as a lesbian but as a person

THATS SOOO TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe SEE US AS A PERSON NOT AS A LABEL!

Yeah it can happen. I have a lot of gay/lesbian friends. I think they are all cool, funny, annoying, stupid, smart, is that what everybody else is.

I personally don't care if one is either straight or gay.. does not matter to me as long this person is a good friend, nothing less or more.

Originally posted by deafbrutha
I just read the original thread, and have to say, quite frankly what shit is this?

Homosexuality is NOT A CHOICE. Only some one who is not Gay or Lesbian would say that. I don't remember being asked if I wanted to be a fat, Furry Poof before I was born. Nah, I discovered my homosexuality quitee arly in life - even if I couldn't name it yet - and I must tell you, IT WAS A PLEASANT SURPRISE!

I disagree... in my opinion, it is a choice... we all choose to be fat or skinny, we choose where to eat and gain the calories. Same with straight/gays.... you guys choose to be gay so do the straight folks... you made the choice when you were a kid.

Re: Re: Can Straights and Gays Be REAL Friends?

Originally posted by Cricket
I disagree... in my opinion, it is a choice... we all choose to be fat or skinny, we choose where to eat and gain the calories. Same with straight/gays.... you guys choose to be gay so do the straight folks... you made the choice when you were a kid.

But an opinion is all it is. Not hard fact. So, pray tell us, how did we make this choice? To make a choice would assume that I tried both and found one was better...well I never did both and found one was better. All I knew was that men turned me on and woemn just don't move me. But it's funny you should say that straights chose to be straight cos most straights I know wouldn't say they choice anything. They would say it is normal. Yeah right and pigs might fly!

In a way, homosexuality is a choice. Everything that happens to us in life is done by choice.

You're driving and another car runs a red light and hits you. That driver chose to run the red light or chose not to pay attention.

You're walking down the street and some guy jumps out and shoots you. He chose to shoot you.

You're growing up and feel an attraction to another person of the same sex. Maybe, it's something you're curious about. Maybe, it's meant for you to be attracted to that person of the same sex. Either way, you decided whether you want to be more attracted to that person and that defines your sexuality.

I joined AllDeaf because I chose to. People badmouth other people because they chose to. Everything is done by choice.

You're right about homosexuality not being a bad word. Homosexuality is a legal word that people use, no matter what. Gay/Lesbian is something that people just speak of... like slang. It's like us deafies, I'm hard-of-hearing while she's deaf. Legally, we're both hearing impaired. He's gay and she's a lesbian. Legally, they're homosexuals. If one person says it to you and you don't like it, just tell that person. Not everyone thinks the same.

Yes, it's always possible. I have friends that are gays/lesbians. It doesn't bother me... as long as the guy doesn't hit on me... heh!

Yes, Gays/Lesbians and straight people can be real friends -- in fact, I have had a lot of friends who are gay/lesibans. I became close to them during the period I was confused about my sexuality and I thank them for helping me through in understanding myself. They didn't push or force me to pick lesbianism at all. They knew I was confused and they just talked with me and let me decide on my own.
Yes, I am straight, but am bi-curious -- like to flirt and talk up with women, but no further than that, you know what I mean?

Am quite open and understanding when I'm around my gay/lesbian friends. They're quite cool and awesome! :)

Re: Re: Re: Can Straights and Gays Be REAL Friends?

But an opinion is all it is. Not hard fact. So, pray tell us, how did we make this choice? To make a choice would assume that I tried both and found one was better...well I never did both and found one was better. All I knew was that men turned me on and woemn just don't move me. But it's funny you should say that straights chose to be straight cos most straights I know wouldn't say they choice anything. They would say it is normal. Yeah right and pigs might fly!

its called perference :D its choices that people make when they're not thinking about it... you choose not to have feelings with women and have feelings with men- straight people just made the choices but they dont think about it because its already accepted in the society while being gay today, you have to think about the choices because this isn't widely accepted yet.

gays/straights can be REAL friends.. theres nothing wrong with that... friends do have "healthy" debates on issues and respect each others boundaries and limitations

I'm straight but that doesn't matter in any tight-knit friendship I have with my gay and lesbian friendships because I'm an advocate for gay/lesbian rights. I can talk about any GLBI issues because I really encourage open rapport between my friends and I. This way, I can learn more about them and we can really grow from each other's experiences. :ily: to my good friends, straight, gay and lesbian... friendship is diverse!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can Straights and Gays Be REAL Friends?

Originally posted by Cricket
its called perference :D its choices that people make when they're not thinking about it... you choose not to have feelings with women and have feelings with men- straight people just made the choices but they dont think about it because its already accepted in the society while being gay today, you have to think about the choices because this isn't widely accepted yet.

No mate, whether u call it a choice or preference, it still assumes you tried both and can make a decision based on having tried both. I have never tried both, so how can you even say it's a preference?

Originally posted by VamPyroX
Yes, it's always possible. I have friends that are gays/lesbians. It doesn't bother me... as long as the guy doesn't hit on me... heh!

:naughty: Hoo Boy VamPyrox, I just can't wait to hit on you....by the time I finish, you too will see the lite!::twisted:

I grew up with two best friends gay. One gay got married few years ago. He introduces her husband to me at DeafWay. We hang around together most of that week. They are really hilarious ! I was not using to see them kiss, touch, hugs, etc.. confront of me. At first, I was awkward after while I used do it. As long as they love each other so much. I never saw my best friend is much happier and good healthy. Another gay is still single, we do still hang around together once a while. We are like sister and brother. I have known him since we were little kids.

About 15 years ago, my good friend Frank at my College year. He died of AIDS then few years later his lover died. It was horrible sad to see some gay have AIDS due to poor education and communication from the medical. I am terrible miss Frank. He is a Godfather. I am a Godmother of our best friend's son.

I do have bisexual friends. I can see how much they were so frustrated themselves due to not sure about themselves. I can understand, they were angry with men cuz the men did not treat or honest with them. I do advocate them.

~ Sabrina

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can Straights and Gays Be REAL Friends?

No mate, whether u call it a choice or preference, it still assumes you tried both and can make a decision based on having tried both. I have never tried both, so how can you even say it's a preference?

again thats also a choice... we choose to not to try to be gay/lesbians and do did you.. you choose not to try to be a straight person- you PERFER to be that way... does that help :dunno:

Back