Can someone who is severely deaf talk normally?

I am not picking on her. On the contrary, trying to cheer up :)

Indeed, the thread turned a wee weird.
Back on track, then. So, free will.
Suppose one day one deaf person wants to start to paint. why not?
One day another deaf person decide to write books. and why not?
Yet another wakes up and say, gee wiz,
I'd like to learn to speak perfect - for myself.
So, WHY NOT?

Free will, you see. Whether or not it is better to sign, if one deaf person wishes to speak - it's their choice.

That's all I wanted to explain.

Fuzzy

Understand :ty:

Only thing I try say is when you give two options for deaf people, if one not ASL, it feel like purposeful exclusion ASL.

Understand :ty:

Only thing I try say is when you give two options for deaf people, if one not ASL, it feel like purposeful exclusion ASL.

Ohh, I think this "aha" moment for me ... good food for thought, thanks Sunny. :)

Understand

You're welcome :)

No, no. I never said "exclude ASL", nope.

It's like Bottessini said, only better- this is purely about just physical capabilities,
nothing else.

And thank you, Bottessini :ty:

Fuzzy

because it is simply true- who do you understand better - a clear speaking
people or with unclear speech?
Fuzzy
Yo Fuzz......................

First of all, I see this... From Sunny's POV.

You asked a DEAF PERSON this, then excluding ASL in the same set of options. When Sunny brought it up as the 3rd option you immediately put it to the side.

That is framing it into a hearing person's point of view, and trying to make it look like the spoken language is the way to go.

That is the audist way of thinking.

Then to turn around and try to defend it... :nono:

Actually, in all fairness guys, AudioFuzzy is trying to stick to a non-political approach to the question and is trying to address it strictly from a technical standpoint: Can a deaf person speak as well as a hearing person?

And my answer to her would be yes, it is possible.

Secondly, she's asking if it's to a deaf person's advantage to speak clearly (if they choose to exercise the option to speak) in a hearing world?

And again, I have to say yes...and no.

Yes, it's an advantage to speak and write English in an English speaking society - no one can deny that. Is it an advantage to a deaf person to speak English clearly in an English speaking society? Depends...if speaking clearly gives the impression you can hear better than you actually can, it's a disadvantage. If speaking clearly is what gives the medical community justification to support mainstreaming and leads parents to believe their deaf child would be better off knowing how to speak well at the cost of the child's educational and social development, then no, it's not an advantage.

^^^I think DC summed it up very nicely. Makes me wish we could close this stupid thread...

^^^I think DC summed it up very nicely. Makes me wish we could close this stupid thread...

I agree! DC put into words what I was thinking but couldn't articulate. :ty:

Actually, in all fairness guys, AudioFuzzy is trying to stick to a non-political approach to the question and is trying to address it strictly from a technical standpoint: Can a deaf person speak as well as a hearing person?

Thank you. That is exactly what I am doing here.

Secondly, she's asking if it's to a deaf person's advantage to speak clearly (if they choose to exercise the option to speak) in a hearing world?

To clarify -actually, thanks but I am not asking- I am stating as matter of fact
that for a deaf or/and HoH person speaking clearly in ANY world, deaf including is better than not clearly :]

Is it an advantage to a deaf person to speak English clearly in an English speaking society?

Actually, again that wasn't quite what I meant.
What I was speaking of was that any language, anywhere - with clear speech.

Fuzzy

As long as you are communicating and getting your point across....being understood and understanding others is more important than being politically correct in terms of what language you choose to use.

whether you decide speaking english, signing ASL, or wearing a giant banana suit and interpretive dancing through the street....WHATEVER makes YOU feel most comfortable as a human being ..to convey your point and CONNECT to other human beings....that is what language you should use.

when people tell me I shouldn't learn sign because it's more important to speak in a 'hearing world.. or that I should learn sign because I'm deaf and that's our language..I simply laugh and tell them: I'll do whatever I have to do to be understood, I'll make smoke signals with a fire in the sky if I want to!!..it's your life! be free!!!!!!!! AHhHH!!

I guess I would use sign, as opposed to lip reading, if there were others I could sign with. Sure, I know basics... but it's been years since I've even thought of it, to be honest.

I'm 24 years old and I have lost my hearing as a adult and i'm profound deaf and I cant have any operation :( but I speak 100% normal

I'm 24 years old and I have lost my hearing as a adult and i'm profound deaf and I cant have any operation :( but I speak 100% normal
That would be normal since you are post-lingual. It's possible that might change for you down the road, but I think if you speak all the time, you're in good shape! :)

I saw somewhere someone posted they lost their hearing at age 6 but I can't find the post now. Anyway that's when I lost my hearing. I'm now 29. I spent a lot of my elementary school years in speech and reading classes outside a normal classroom setting. Being post-lingually deafened is definitely different than prelingually. But losing my hearing at age 6 was very different than if I had lost my hearing a couple years ago. I had just started to learn to read when I was in the accident, and because of the brain damage I also got, I pretty much had to learn all over again but without hearing. It definitely made using signed English in class easier It was the early to mid 90s when TC was big in classrooms which is why I never learned proper ASL. My special ed teachers who set up my IEP thought SE would be the easiest thing for me to learn.

Anyway as far as talking, I definitely don't sound like a hearing person when I talk. I "sound" Deaf according to others. Some sounds I've always had problems with more than others. But I can talk well enough that I can communicate what I'm trying to express with people without sign or writing or anything. But I can't "read lips" or anything like that, with my BAHA and my HA I can understand most of what someone is saying looking at me, speaking loudly and clearly, with no other background noise. Other than that I need something like sign or writing to understand what others are trying to communicate if that makes sense.

I lost hearing at age two. My brain trying to think in ASL which then i try to speak. I mumble sometimes. Like to think in ASL and English sign language. I sign in both. Some people think im hearing, when i speak as i have had speech therapy. I have almost no hearing. My deafness is 90% in right ear and 90+% in my left ear.

Pre lingual most likely not. Post lingual more apt to speak normally, although they may speak louder than normal.

Pre lingual most likely not. Post lingual more apt to speak normally, although they may speak louder than normal.

Hmm... I'm pre-lingually deaf (severe to profound- I don't k now what db it was at as a kid)... I didn't get hearing aids until I was TWO. Yet... shockingly.... my speech is very clear and understandable - according to most people I meet and talk to. I might slur or not sound clear when I'm tired, sick or stressed- and that's probably typical for hearing people too.

Also.. many pre-lingual deaf/HOH who fall into the mild/moderate range do have good success with speaking "normally" (whatever that is).

Hmm... I'm pre-lingually deaf (severe to profound- I don't k now what db it was at as a kid)... I didn't get hearing aids until I was TWO. Yet... shockingly.... my speech is very clear and understandable - according to most people I meet and talk to. I might slur or not sound clear when I'm tired, sick or stressed- and that's probably typical for hearing people too.

Also.. many pre-lingual deaf/HOH who fall into the mild/moderate range do have good success with speaking "normally" (whatever that is).
Someone who has mild/moderate hearing loss is not deaf, so I would expect them to have more or less normal speech. If they are pre lingual and have a severe loss I would guess their speech may or may not be affected, but someone who is pre lingual and profound loss my guess is they would speak like they were deaf.

Someone who has mild/moderate hearing loss is not deaf, so I would expect them to have more or less normal speech. If they are pre lingual and have a severe loss I would guess their speech may or may not be affected, but someone who is pre lingual and profound loss my guess is they would speak like they were deaf.

Don't tell that to any of my moderate loss friends who went to Gallaudet with me that. As far as I know many considered themselves either deaf or hard of hearing.

As for the "they would speak like they were deaf"- Again- I have never been told I 'speak like I was deaf' Whatever the hell that means. But hey you're painting with a very broad brush.

Goodbye.

Back