Can Someone help me translate something?

Megalofyia

Reaction score
Is there someone here who is familiar with Signing Naturally level 3? I have having problems figuring out if I am translating the third story correctly.

This is what I have. Does it sound correct to anyone?

I come from a deaf family where my uncles, aunts, and cousins are deaf. My husband is deaf, but my daughter was born hearing. It was amazing. She needed to learn what sound meant so she could interpret them. I have a story I want to tell you.
One day my daughter had a hearing friend come over to play. They were sitting in the living room and I was cleaning the kitchen. My daughter came in and asked me if I was ok. She asked me if I was mad. I said “no, I’m not mad, why do you ask?” She said “because her friend thought that the noise I was making meant I was mad.” I asked her what she meant. She said that I was banging the draws and slamming the cupboard. She said that it meant I was angry. “Oh, I see,” I said.
The next time her friend came over and I was trying to keep the kitchen clean I was very careful to be quiet. Instead of washing the dishes fast and putting them away quickly I did them slowly and quietly. I did them one at a time. I carefully put the plates away and then the cups. My daughter came in again and asked if I was ok because I was so quiet. What? I’m stuck. Next time her friend comes over I will wait till she leaves to clean the kitchen. It’s easier myself.

Do you mean you translated that from signing and you have to write it down in a written format?

Ziusudra said:
Do you mean you translated that from signing and you have to write it down in a written format?

Yes. I watched the signer and I had to translate it into English.

Is perfect grammar needed, ie. comma use and things like that or is it just English grammar?

Ziusudra said:
Is perfect grammar needed, ie. comma use and things like that or is it just English grammar?
I just need to know that I got the idea of what was translated correctly. She used some signs I haven't seen before so I'm not positive that what I got is exactly the right story. Proper English grammar isn't so important.

Megalofyia said:
My husband is deaf, but my daughter was born hearing. It was amazing. She needed to learn what sound meant so she could interpret them. I have a story I want to tell you.

If the daughter was hearing then why would she be curious about all the noises? That's the only thing I think seems wrong, she would be able to tell her hearing friend that her mother can't hear all the noises she's making and she isn't mad.

Megalofyia

Normal for everyones.. what makes they think r u mad.. no.. depend on peoples can be lead misunderstand..
No matter what how much as you can try your best explaination what Deaf peoples are used to be noises...
Not defination for MAD.. no.. as long u can try your best explain them.. and to make sure them understand..

Really not necessary be quiet and becareful as respect them.. no need.. as are you being normal Deaf..

So am I doing same thing.. G'thing, my children already inform their friends that parent are deaf can be noises but have to get used to be.. They are not MAD..

If you want to education your kid and make sure they can understand!

Your langagues is fine.. I do undy you.. Your grammer looks like ASL to me..
Sometimes My grammer can be ASL or english doesn't matter.. Depend on They are totally cool and understand what r u trying explain.. if not understand, They are very happy to patience and what r u want explain again.. Doesn't bother at all..

*smile* btw you're the most welcome you here on AD

oh that story isn't about ME... I wanted to make sure that what I wrote was correct, that it was what the signer had signed. I am not positive that I got the story correctly. I might have missed part of it. I need to write my essay in English from an ASL video I watched. I am going from ASL to english. I am pretty good about going from English to ASL so THAT is not the problem.

Ziusudra said:
I believe you may mean the daughter is deaf as well? I'm not sure.

See that's part of it. I need someone who has seen the video text to tell me if she is deaf or not to see if I translated it correctly. From my understanding she is not deaf.

i understand ur story clearly either in ASL
and/or English.. looks like a good story
and it looks like you understood it...

Ziusudra said:
If the daughter was hearing then why would she be curious about all the noises? That's the only thing I think seems wrong, she would be able to tell her hearing friend that her mother can't hear all the noises she's making and she isn't mad.

I am sure that she heard lots of noises what her mom have done in the kitchen or anywhere in the house because her daughter is so use to her mom's habits of making noises. that's normal.

Her friend came and heard what her mom have done it like she never heard it ebfore. Then her friend told her about it. Her daughter will not know what ist he difference between sounds loudy or quiet. Am i making sense. I think your story is so cute.. My daughter is hearing. shes 2 and she is so use to me being lots of noises. I am not surprised that one day my daughter's friend comes in.. I think i will talk to my daughter before her friend comes. :lol:

Yeah, you're probably right, she is probably hearing and too used to the sounds her mother makes to notice how loud it really is.

Ziusudra said:
Yeah, you're probably right, she is probably hearing and too used to the sounds her mother makes to notice how loud it really is.

How funny when i was in my young time. I used to go out and came home so late. I never realize that i made lots of noises in the kitchen as my mom don't need to check on me to make sure i am home. One day, i asked my mom why she didn't even check on me. She laughed and said, "it is too easy to spot that you are home when you went to the kitchen. " LOL

Frisky Feline said:
How funny when i was in my young time. I used to go out and came home so late. I never realize that i made lots of noises in the kitchen as my mom don't need to check on me to make sure i am home. One day, i asked my mom why she didn't even check on me. She laughed and said, "it is too easy to spot that you are home when you went to the kitchen. " LOL

I remembered when I was in 20's. I had go to work at 3rd shift job. So one night I decided to "call in sick" bec I hate to get up and get ready for work. I was so quiet to walk to the bathroom and to the kitchen then went back to bedroom. In a few mins later, my aunt came in my bedroom and said "why aren't you going to work?" I got busted. I thought I was so quiet and didn't bang anything. I asked her how did she know I was home? She said "I am used to hear the blow dryer when you need to dry ur hair. That's why you were so quiet." I was gulped and went to work. She was clever lady. She wasnt stupid.

Lianca said:
I remembered when I was in 20's. I had go to work at 3rd shift job. So one night I decided to "call in sick" bec I hate to get up and get ready for work. I was so quiet to walk to the bathroom and to the kitchen then went back to bedroom. In a few mins later, my aunt came in my bedroom and said "why aren't you going to work?" I got busted. I thought I was so quiet and didn't bang anything. I asked her how did she know I was home? She said "I am used to hear the blow dryer when you need to dry ur hair. That's why you were so quiet." I was gulped and went to work. She was clever lady. She wasnt stupid.

Ha ha That is so funny!!! :lol:

Back