Can someone explain to me.....

green427

Reaction score
Picture this:

You have a factory car key with buttons for locking/unlocking/trunk/panic.

You have been using the door unlock/lock buttons for awhile.

One day you decide to insert the key in the door to unlock it. The alarm goes off.

You open up the owner's manual, and it says "If the key is used only to open the door, and the ignition is not turned on within 15 seconds, the alarm will go off".

WTF?

Why set off my own alarm when I opened up my own fookin' door with my own fookin' key?????

That's a good question that only the car manufacturer can answer.

I have the same problem with my car, especially if I should happen to have my windows down and the door is locked, and I'm too lazy to use the remote key and just reach in the open window to unlock the door, it sets off the alarm IMMEDIATELY. The salesguy explained that this is an anti-theft feature so nobody without a key tries to get in the car just because the windows are down. The same goes for the use of the key -- the car is wondering why you didn't use the remote, thus thinking perhaps somebody jimmied the lock (or broke the window) and got the door open. (It's not so much about using the key itself, but the fact that the door was opened without the remote.) Makes me have to be that much more careful about using my remote at all times. I have a car insurance discount for this very reason.

It's probably in case someone managed to make a copy of your key and tried to break in your car (without the remote).

It's probably in case someone managed to make a copy of your key and tried to break in your car (without the remote).

nah. just use a screwdriver to open the lock. that's what somebody did to my mom's car.

Picture this:

You have a factory car key with buttons for locking/unlocking/trunk/panic.

You have been using the door unlock/lock buttons for awhile.

One day you decide to insert the key in the door to unlock it. The alarm goes off.

You open up the owner's manual, and it says "If the key is used only to open the door, and the ignition is not turned on within 15 seconds, the alarm will go off".

WTF?

Why set off my own alarm when I opened up my own fookin' door with my own fookin' key?????

What's wrong with remote to unlock? I think remote is a lot easy than the key. I almost never use key to unlock the door for many years. Not worry about ice on the cylinder lock during winter or accident scratch on the door side if you are in hurry like heavy rain or running late on my own car.

Believe or not, use key alot to unlock/lock door cause damage/worn out the cylinder lock. I worked for diesel tech semi-truck for almost year and I replaced cylinder lock like 20 times and replaced ignition switch like 6 times. Now I understand why most newer vehicles use engine start button.

If you don't want remote to unlock then you can diable the alarm system. Ask your dealership about that.

What's wrong with remote to unlock? .....

If you don't want remote to unlock then you can diable the alarm system. Ask your dealership about that.

Nothing wrong with using the remote. I have been using it regularly.

The point here is, what is the point of giving you a hard-to-jimmy-keyhole and a special key that only works with your own vehicle if the manufacturer discourages you from using it?

If your remote's battery is dead, and you just want to open up your car to retrieve something from the backseat, do you want your alarm blaring just because you did not put the key in the ignition within 15 seconds?

I already have instructions on how to disable the alarm.

What's wrong with remote to unlock? I think remote is a lot easy than the key. I almost never use key to unlock the door for many years. Not worry about ice on the cylinder lock during winter or accident scratch on the door side if you are in hurry like heavy rain or running late on my own car.

Believe or not, use key alot to unlock/lock door cause damage/worn out the cylinder lock. I worked for diesel tech semi-truck for almost year and I replaced cylinder lock like 20 times and replaced ignition switch like 6 times. Now I understand why most newer vehicles use engine start button.

My car uses a remote.

If I lock the car with the remote, then unlock the car with the key... the alarm will go off.

If I lock the car manually (without the remote), then unlock the car with the key... the alarm won't go off.

It varies by vehicle.

The point here is, what is the point of giving you a hard-to-jimmy-keyhole and a special key that only works with your own vehicle if the manufacturer discourages you from using it?

If your remote's battery is dead, and you just want to open up your car to retrieve something from the backseat, do you want your alarm blaring just because you did not put the key in the ignition within 15 seconds?

That has actually happened to my friend when I was in college. His remote stopped working. So, he used his key. It set off the alarm and cut the ignition switch. So, he had to have the ignition switch re-connected.

I have the same problem with my car, especially if I should happen to have my windows down and the door is locked, and I'm too lazy to use the remote key and just reach in the open window to unlock the door, it sets off the alarm IMMEDIATELY. The salesguy explained that this is an anti-theft feature so nobody without a key tries to get in the car just because the windows are down. The same goes for the use of the key -- the car is wondering why you didn't use the remote, thus thinking perhaps somebody jimmied the lock (or broke the window) and got the door open.

This is exactly what alarms are supposed to do...if a door opens when no key or remote was used, it should go off....which begs the question...you have a key, and you used it, but that was not good enough?????

For a house, I can see the logic...you open the door, you disable the alarm on the wall.....but this is a freakin' car, and I may or may not want to stick the key in the ignition immediately....

I will see if I can ask this question to the marketing geniuses over at Ford....probably will get a 21 year old airhead replying with the usual "the manufacturer recommends it"....

My car uses a remote.

If I lock the car with the remote, then unlock the car with the key... the alarm will go off.

If I lock the car manually (without the remote), then unlock the car with the key... the alarm won't go off.

It varies by vehicle.

I'll try that with my Ford....even though the owner's manual does not indicate that.

On a positive note, my Ford does give a fair warning by changing the sound of the key-in-ignition chime to a stern alarm tone before blaring the horn & lights. As long as I have my CI's turned on, I will know what to do.

nah. just use a screwdriver to open the lock. that's what somebody did to my mom's car.

aw im sorry. I remember my friends and I came to NYC. She dropped stuff in her back car trunk. We walked around the corner and she forgets something and she returned, the trunk was open and her stuff was gone like 5 to 8 minutes later. oops

I already have back-up remote.

When I used remote to unlock the car like 50ft away. Almost year later. I noticed remote won't work with 50ft away but work fine at 25ft or less. I knew that battery was very weak then replace the battery right away.

Use common sense

do you want your alarm blaring just because you did not put the key in the ignition within 15 seconds?

Not each car maker's alarm system are same.

Remember, Most newer vehicles do not have ignition switch anymore. If remote's battery died then use key to unlock and won't alarm go off as alarm system read key's RFID chip. RFID don't needs battery.

Blame to Ford's engineering design then.

I've been seen some vehicles have similar to your car. Like if you open door with a key fob then car won't start. Turn ignition off and press "Unlock" button then turn ignition switch, car will start.. sometime alarm will blare when open door. Weird security design....

I have the same problem with my car, especially if I should happen to have my windows down and the door is locked, and I'm too lazy to use the remote key and just reach in the open window to unlock the door, it sets off the alarm IMMEDIATELY. The salesguy explained that this is an anti-theft feature so nobody without a key tries to get in the car just because the windows are down. The same goes for the use of the key -- the car is wondering why you didn't use the remote, thus thinking perhaps somebody jimmied the lock (or broke the window) and got the door open. (It's not so much about using the key itself, but the fact that the door was opened without the remote.) Makes me have to be that much more careful about using my remote at all times. I have a car insurance discount for this very reason.

Happen to me before many times. F--king alarm system. But if the engine is running and locked door with open window, you can unlock inside, no alarm blare...

Blame on insurance companies. They are the one that likes this idea, to decrease number of stolen cars and designed as deterrent to would be car thieves. There is positive benefit behind this... reduce comprehensive coverage rates.

Really, I kinda support this idea. I was victim of stolen vehicle.

What's point to lock the door if windows was down? :giggle:

I still know how to unlock the door without the key. Some customers accident left the key inside.

That's point theft can open door without key or use right tool thru close the window too.

Back