Can someone deaf receive SS/SSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you even know what medical transcription involves, Kalista? It's not simple enough to use the relay system. And so many people don't like to use relay or don't understand how to use relay no matter how many times we explain to them how to use relay. It's not very effective.

sound voice translate into text message. Like cart (shorthand) automacilly into text message. I have one at my work, when the staff meeting - they talked voice on the microphone. It translate into text message on the screen.

Such translation software is not 100% accurate, and in cases where getting the correct information is important, it clearly is a job better left for someone with enough hearing.

sound voice translate into text message. Like cart (shorthand) automacilly into text message. I have one at my work, when the staff meeting - they talked voice on the microphone. It translate into text message on the screen.

Sounds complicated. :eek3:

Actually, many medical transcriptionists use voice-to-text technology, but then must go back and listen/read to ensure accuracy. Also, many medical terms sound alike but are spelled differently and have very different meanings, therefore a simple mistake by a voice-to-text program could cause major problems for a doctor or patient.

Actually, many medical transcriptionists use voice-to-text technology, but then must go back and listen/read to ensure accuracy. Also, many medical terms sound alike but are spelled differently and have very different meanings, therefore a simple mistake by a voice-to-text program could cause major problems for a doctor or patient.

Wow..

What about a deaf person with a CI doing this job? It seems like many people with CIs can hear well without needing to lipread?

I respectfully disagree. Because the originator of this topic is latent deaf, and she has asked for our opinions on how she may best operate under her newly acquired situation, I believe the CI topic is still relevant to this discussion. Like it or not, it is an aspect which should be considered with relation to her ability to find future employment and to work within her ability. The ultimate decision belongs to her, but she should at least know what options are available to her.

That makes it ok for this thread to go off topic with people bashing and insulting each other?

The creator asked if deaf people can recieve SSI or SSDI benefits and people answered to that question alone until someone voiced her opinions about CIs and SSDIs.

If she had asked "What are your opinions about deaf people recieving CIs and SSI", then all the comments would have been more appropriate.

Such translation software is not 100% accurate, and in cases where getting the correct information is important, it clearly is a job better left for someone with enough hearing.

i concur with you because transcribing/typing information from doctors via audio tapes are very critical, regardless!!!

Wow..

What about a deaf person with a CI doing this job? It seems like many people with CIs can hear well without needing to lipread?

i know many who can hear very well as a result from the CI! as opposed to those without the CI! so obviously she doesn't know those people... i even know someone who can "interpret" or give speeches in front of big audiences... and she would have never done that if it had not been for her CI(s) as she got two of them! :shock:

I respectfully disagree. Because the originator of this topic is latent deaf, and she has asked for our opinions on how she may best operate under her newly acquired situation, I believe the CI topic is still relevant to this discussion. Like it or not, it is an aspect which should be considered with relation to her ability to find future employment and to work within her ability. The ultimate decision belongs to her, but she should at least know what options are available to her.

That makes it ok for this thread to go off topic with people bashing and insulting each other?

The creator asked if deaf people can recieve SSI or SSDI benefits and people answered to that question alone until someone voiced her opinions about CIs and SSDIs.

If she had asked "What are your opinions about deaf people recieving CIs and SSI", then all the comments would have been more appropriate >>> I CONCUR WITH YOU! :thumb:.

tsk tsk... just like DD mentioned recently about hijacking threads! :lol:

i felt so bad for the creator as she is VERY NEW TO THIS FORUM and she was being "attacked" already! jeez!!! what a great "welcome" for her! :thumbd:

Well, I bluntly answer with all my honest my opinion on this thread. I do not agree most of the Social Security Adminstration system. They need to wake up and get serious more investigation on many fraud clients. Medicare needs to change to provider for the children and eldery people. I do support eldery and children than age 20's to 59 yrs old.

Deaf people and CI users need to stop pity themselves. Get a job !

I had to quit my job because I was having a hard time performing it...I was a preschool teacher.

Stupid to quit just because you lost your ears. Here in the Southland there's many deaf pre-school teachers in almost any kind of school. And have you heard of adaptive technology deaf teachers use in their classrooms? Even tonight I'm doing a booth at a resource fair to educate the education people of these adaptive technologies. Losing your ears is not the end of your working life.

But then if you can make a good cry baby story to the SSI folks you'll end up getting it still.

Richard

I wanted to post earlier, but I felt nervous in doing so before others had posted.

As has been stated, you shouldn't try and get ssi. Why? Because you're fully capable of working. If you must insist being Deaf is a disability, you're only setting yourself up to be treated as "broken" or "incapable" for the rest of your life. Learn asl. Look into teaching positions at a local Deaf school, or see if you can't get an interpreter at your usual school? Losing your hearing doesn't mean you suddenly have to go ahead and change all the life choices you made. You were a teacher, you are a teacher, and deafness should not be the factor that changes that.

Everyone brought up some good points about a CI- you can browse the forums that more relate to that topic.

She may be capable of working, but she is incapable of continuing to earn income in the way that she was trained to do so, and therefore, will suffer a loss in income. Retraining is certainly the way to go, but exactly how is she supposed to live while she takes the steps necessary to reorganize her life in order to adapt to these new circumstances? SSI is a supplement that allows one continue to provide for themselves financially. She worked for any number of years, and paid into the system with each paycheck. Therefore, she is simply using money that she has already paid into the system. She is not asking for a free ride.

Unfortunately, deafness does not change the fact that she is a teacher, but society sees it as an indication that she can no longer function in that capacity. As unfair as it is, it is a reality of life. She doesn't label herself as disabled, our society does.

I heartily disagree with you. Society creates the obstacle to employment that so many Deaf indiviuals must overcome. Therefore, society needs to assist these individuals in delveloping the skills to overcome those obstacles. SSI is but a tool that helps accomplish that.

Well, I bluntly answer with all my honest my opinion on this thread. I do not agree most of the Social Security Adminstration system. They need to wake up and get serious more investigation on many fraud clients. Medicare needs to change to provider for the children and eldery people. I do support eldery and children than age 20's to 59 yrs old.

Deaf people and CI users need to stop pity themselves. Get a job !

I agree that the Social Security system does not function the way it should, and there are all kinds of people receiving benefits under false pretenses. However, that should not be a reason for someone who truly needs the assistance not to apply for something to which they are entitled.

Often, SSI is a temporary measure allowing one to retrain because the job they formerly had is no longer feasible for them. If someone is making the effort to help themselves, and learn to cope and be self sufficient, we need to help them in their efforts.

Stupid to quit just because you lost your ears. Here in the Southland there's many deaf pre-school teachers in almost any kind of school. And have you heard of adaptive technology deaf teachers use in their classrooms? Even tonight I'm doing a booth at a resource fair to educate the education people of these adaptive technologies. Losing your ears is not the end of your working life.

But then if you can make a good cry baby story to the SSI folks you'll end up getting it still.

Richard

You know, Nesmuth, there is no reason to call people names who have come to this sight looking for advise on ways to cope with their deafness. This person is reaching out to the community to ask for advise, as well she should be. And you choose to insult and berate her. How dare you! It's people like you that give the Deaf community a bad name!:rl:

You know, Nesmuth, there is no reason to call people names who have come to this sight looking for advise on ways to cope with their deafness. This person is reaching out to the community to ask for advise, as well she should be. And you choose to insult and berate her. How dare you! It's people like you that give the Deaf community a bad name!:rl:

No shit! I couldn't believe how this thread turned out to be. I hope we didn't scare the creator away from seeking out advice on this forum. *sighs*

Don't be stupid - you, and many others, know how to work around your deafness to survive in a hearing world. A hearing person who becomes deaf doesn't! They don't have the experience and knowledge that will let them engage in these activities, whether that means lip reading, ASL, visual signallers, or whatever else.

I believe the OP even said she (he?) was planning to go back to work, but needs SSI to give them time to figure things out. That's the beauty of support programs like SSI - it helps people through the rough spots, when the alternative might mean becoming homeless, or starving, or otherwise being put in a position where it is suddenly much harder to get a job and pull things together.

WELL SAID!!! :thumb:
i think nesmuth has mental issues! cuz i HAVE NEVER ONCE heard nice things come out of his mouth! :squint: ... he is indeed a one angry man who thinks he has all the answers!??? :thumbd: no wonder he has a reputation... jeez!

No shit! I couldn't believe how this thread turned out to be. I hope we didn't scare the creator away from seeking out advice on this forum. *sighs*

i hope not either! :( as she is so new in here and a "late" deafened adult with no knowledge about support system and such! i hope she will come back so we can support her and give her the information she needs to go on with! i know she can do it with the right kind of support! jeez!

shel90 said:
I guess that would depend on the individual. I personally haven’t met any CI recipients who were able to rely completely on their CI without the need for lipreading in addition.

shel90 said:
I certainly didn’t say THAT. There are ways to disagree without resorting to bashing and insulting.

shel90 said:

If she had asked "What are your opinions about deaf people recieving CIs and SSI", then all the comments would have been more appropriate.
Actually, it was the creator of this thread who brought up CI in the first place…
atabr5 said:
I would like to learn sign language, maybe have a cochlear implant, go back to college and be an interpreter.
and…
atabr5 said:
So, you really like your CI? Does SSI/SS medicaid/ medicare pay for it? I really think I should go for it if approved. Like I said-I miss my kids voices. I also miss the sound of water; creek, waterfalls, etc.
But we can still agree to disagree without the need for bashing, insults, and name-calling!

jillio said:
Unfortunately, deafness does not change the fact that she is a teacher, but society sees it as an indication that she can no longer function in that capacity. As unfair as it is, it is a reality of life. She doesn't label herself as disabled, our society does.
bullshit. I continued teaching after my hearing loss. She places the label of “disabled” upon herself the moment she applies for SSDI.

jillio said:
You know, Nesmuth, there is no reason to call people names who have come to this sight looking for advise on ways to cope with their deafness. This person is reaching out to the community to ask for advise, as well she should be. And you choose to insult and berate her. How dare you! It's people like you that give the Deaf community a bad name!
I whole-heartedly agree with you here. No need for bashing and insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back