Can someone deaf receive SS/SSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I honestly can't believe the hostility and judgments going on, I mean really, please tell us how you REALLY feel. My personal opinion is if you need a helping hand, or if you legitimately cannot work you should apply. SSI has checks and balances in place to help safeguard our funds we’ve paid into SS so they are not appropriated to persons trying to take advantage, faking a condition or by means of some other type of fraud.:deal:

I am considering using SSI myself. I was told I am profoundly deaf on 3/7 (after a 17 day hospital stay). I am the primary wage earner in my home. I have four children. My wife works but her salary will be enough to possible pay our mortgage and vehicle insurance, but that is about all. I cannot return to my current position as a Logistics Coordinator not only for the reason that I am deaf, but I also have encephalopathy (swelling of the brain) and my kidneys and liver shut down as well...My liver is back to normal, but my kidneys are only working at about 15%. The only way I think I will be able to survive the next few months at least will be with some assistance. I will probably have to sell my house because I will not be able to afford it (which is saddens me because this isn't just my house, it is our family's home, my poor kids) and I do not know when I will be able to go back to work and in what industry I will be able to work in. I do know that being deaf will most likely impact my long term wage earning potential. I could go on and on...but you see there are extenuating circumstances of why people may need SSI, so those who are judging should take in account all the additional appurtenances, assets, goods, paraphernalia, personal property, stuff, things that need tending too along with dealing with the chaos of a new and frightening challenge. GOOD LUCK ATABR!:fingersx: I'LL NEED SOME LUCK TOO!!

For eve

do not lie post here about lots of hours work like over 80 hours each week. I been there before. It was very hell. I never take that long hours again. I accept 50-60 is good enough. Over 80 hours every week physicals is going be out and become bad fatigue.

I think this Thread is need to be closed. Due too many lie post here. I said why why keep up lie post here. what the hell wrong yourself?

It is last topic I make post here and gotta out of this topic is stink.

I agree with MOD said this topic about SSI/SSDI but.......I recommend this thread closed period.

In the same boat?

Wow, I honestly can't believe the hostility and judgments going on, I mean really, please tell us how you REALLY feel. My personal opinion is if you need a helping hand, or if you legitimately cannot work you should apply. SSI has checks and balances in place to help safeguard our funds we’ve paid into SS so they are not appropriated to persons trying to take advantage, faking a condition or by means of some other type of fraud.:deal:

I am considering using SSI myself. I was told I am profoundly deaf on 3/7 (after a 17 day hospital stay). I am the primary wage earner in my home. I have four children. My wife works but her salary will be enough to possible pay our mortgage and vehicle insurance, but that is about all. I cannot return to my current position as a Logistics Coordinator not only for the reason that I am deaf, but I also have encephalopathy (swelling of the brain) and my kidneys and liver shut down as well...My liver is back to normal, but my kidneys are only working at about 15%. The only way I think I will be able to survive the next few months at least will be with some assistance. I will probably have to sell my house because I will not be able to afford it (which is saddens me because this isn't just my house, it is our family's home, my poor kids) and I do not know when I will be able to go back to work and in what industry I will be able to work in. I do know that being deaf will most likely impact my long term wage earning potential. I could go on and on...but you see there are extenuating circumstances of why people may need SSI, so those who are judging should take in account all the additional appurtenances, assets, goods, paraphernalia, personal property, stuff, things that need tending too along with dealing with the chaos of a new and frightening challenge. GOOD LUCK ATABR!:fingersx: I'LL NEED SOME LUCK TOO!!
Thanks for writing! I never meant to cause any trouble...I just wanted to makesure I wasn't waisting my time and really didn't know if a deaf person could get SS. I will keep you in my prayers though as I know exactly what you are going through! I hope you believe in God because I know He is the only reason we have made it this far! Good luck to you and I really will pray for you. Keep us posted!

dougus

I am deaf, but I also have encephalopathy (swelling of the brain) and my kidneys and liver shut down as well...My liver is back to normal, but my kidneys are only working at about 15%. The only way I think I will be able to survive the next few months at least will be with some assistance.I am deaf, but I also have encephalopathy (swelling of the brain) and my kidneys and liver shut down as well...My liver is back to normal, but my kidneys are only working at about 15%. The only way I think I will be able to survive the next few months at least will be with some assistance.

Your health is severe condition to collect the disability. I support that, I am talking about Deaf people who have a good healthy mental and physical. They are not deserve to collect SSI or SSDI. They can work but they do not want to work. Want to stay home drugs, drink, travel, gossip and sit to watch the T.V. all the day. It makes me very furious ! I pay alot of taxes on them to sit to do nothing.

I do support Deaf people who have more than one disability. I do not support Deaf and cochlear implants users people ! They can work !!!!

Medicaid and Medicare paid for the CI, the surgery and all CI related expenses.

Oh my gosh !! What ??? There are more and more taxes deduct out from our pay checks to pay cochlear implants surgery with the Medicaid and Medicare. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

That is extremely DISGUSTED !!! I am going to write the letters to congressmen to disagree with this. Social Security Adminstration needs to check each of Deaf people to see if they are in good healthy, they are not eligiable to collect the checks. They need to go back to work !!!

I do support Deaf more than one disability to collect SSI and SSDI.

I'm glad you have a job that you like!

Unfortunately, since I have hip dysplasia>>> WHAT IS THAT??? I NEVER HEARD OF THAT?? is it curable? and I have back problems>>> ME TOO DUE TO A NEAR FATAL AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT THAT MAKES IT HARDER TO BE "PAINFREE" MOST OF THE TIME WHICH SUCKS BIG TIME... even with back exercises and swimming, etc... GRRR , I can't walk far nor can I do a lot of physical work, so that really cuts out a lot of jobs. I used to work factory jobs when I was in better health and younger (18-20) but I can no longer work those type of jobs. Currently I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm tired of school, I want to start working and earning money already but not too sure what I want to do, I want to make sure it is a job I will like and can stay with for 20+ years, I don't want to float around from shit job to shit job. I want to stay with one job. I am thinking of getting a job doing medical records or something like that. I'd go into medical transcriptions but that requires phone use, I think.
>>> YES IT DOES REQUIRE PHONE USAGE, UNFORTUNATELY, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!!! :thumb:

Oh my gosh !! What ??? There are more and more taxes deduct out from our pay checks to pay cochlear implants surgery with the Medicaid and Medicare. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

That is extremely DISGUSTED !!! I am going to write the letters to congressmen to disagree with this. Social Security Adminstration needs to check each of Deaf people to see if they are in good healthy, they are not eligiable to collect the checks. They need to go back to work !!!

I do support Deaf more than one disability to collect SSI and SSDI.

kalista, please be careful of what you say, some of us deserve this kind of help... due to our physical abilities like our backs, etc... (i worked at two jobs last christmas for the season and was on my feet at both jobs for 8-10 hours a day, and that indeed took a toll on my back especially that i have a very bad back but i did it anyway because i needed the money, moreover, it is not something that i can do permanently, unfortunately! :( ) like me and lucia for instance... and i need it to support myself (to tide me over)while i figure out what to do careerwise... and also help my bf with utilities, rent, etc...
and also i am working on getting my masters hopefully soon so i don't have to sit at the computer all the time doing graphic work because i detest it so much... because it takes a toll on my back too...

LASTLY, i am CERTAINLY VERY GLAD I WAS ABLE TO GET THE CI with the aid of medicaid and medicare! NO DOUBT!!!
otherwise i would have never gotten the CI! and i am benefitting from it a great deal as i am typing this! jeez...

but i know what you are saying about many people who just TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE GOVERNMENT BY NOT WORKING AT ALL!!! it :pissed: the hell out of me!!!

i knew a guy who was in the construction business... and yet still collects ssdi... and he even told me that no one knew about it --it was a top secret and he would never get caught cuz he wanted to make more money that way, etc... it REALLY DISGUSTED ME!!! i was like WTF! he made a very good living and still wanted money from the goverment!??? there are many others who need it and can't even get ssi/ssdi checks!!! jeez... it is just so sickening... so please BE SPECIFIC especially about this part but not about people like me and lucia... k? because IT IS TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS! :ty:

I'm glad you have a job that you like!

Unfortunately, since I have hip dysplasia and I have back problems, I can't walk far nor can I do a lot of physical work, so that really cuts out a lot of jobs. I used to work factory jobs when I was in better health and younger (18-20) but I can no longer work those type of jobs. Currently I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm tired of school, I want to start working and earning money already but not too sure what I want to do, I want to make sure it is a job I will like and can stay with for 20+ years, I don't want to float around from shit job to shit job. I want to stay with one job. I am thinking of getting a job doing medical records or something like that. I'd go into medical transcriptions but that requires phone use, I think.

Why do you feel that you were block for a better career because you can't use the phone. Nowadays, we do have so much technology, video phone, ip-relay, spirit relay, hamilit, Email, etc... video phone is very helpful for the Deaf people to using interpreter. Interpreter will speak for you when you sign. It is so awesome ! I love vrs very much, it is much better than TTY Relay Operator. It is more faster and effecitively ! ;)

Do not let them to look you down !! You are extremely brilliant, you can do anything expect phone. Technology is very helpful for the most of disability people !!

kalista,LASTLY, i am CERTAINLY VERY GLAD I WAS ABLE TO GET THE CI with the aid of medicaid and medicare! NO DOUBT!!! [/B] otherwise i would have never gotten the CI! and i am benefitting from it a great deal as i am typing this! jeez...

I do not support medicaid and medicare pay for the cochlear implants surgery because it is not really medical reason. Why can't the medicaid/medicare to pay for whitness teeth or plastic surgery as beauty??? Cochlear Implants do not consider for medical purpose. Just want to hear the sounds !!

but i know what you are saying about many people who just TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE GOVERNMENT BY NOT WORKING AT ALL!!! it :pissed: the hell out of me!!!

Yup, that is fact true. How can we control this? Government could not catch million people who are fraud.

I knew a guy who was in the construction business... and yet still collects ssdi... and he even told me that no one knew about it --it was a top secret and he would never get caught cuz he wanted to make more money that way, etc... it REALLY DISGUSTED ME!!! i was like WTF! he made a very good living and still wanted money from the goverment!??? there are many others who need it and can't even get ssi/ssdi checks!!! jeez... it is just so sickening... so please BE SPECIFIC especially about this part but not about people like me and lucia... k? because IT IS TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATIONS! :ty:

Obviously, he earn the money under the table. Social Security Adminstration would never know when people who work at same time collect the ssdi checks under the table. If they do have W-2 tax, the government will find out automacilly in few years. He will be hell stuck to pay back thousand dollars to the government. It is his problem, not ours.

I know several people who live with their girlfriends and boyfriends who make more than 50K to 80K a year, include children. They never married. They collect over 1,200 to 1,500 a month include children. That is why, they did not want to getting married. Social Security income will be reduce amount.

Why do you feel that you were block for a better career because you can't use the phone. Nowadays, we do have so much technology, video phone, ip-relay, spirit relay, hamilit, Email, etc... video phone is very helpful for the Deaf people to using interpreter. Interpreter will speak for you when you sign. It is so awesome ! I love vrs very much, it is much better than TTY Relay Operator. It is more faster and effecitively ! ;)

Do not let them to look you down !! You are extremely brilliant, you can do anything expect phone. Technology is very helpful for the most of disability people !!

you are absolutely right, but with medical transcriptions, you can't use the vrs/vp, etc... because it is listening to dr's notes via tapes and then typing them down, etc... and those are very CONFIDENTIAL... so 3rd parties shouldn't be involved or whatsoever... :)

you are absolutely right, but with medical transcriptions, you can't use the vrs/vp, etc... because it is listening to dr's notes via tapes and then typing them down, etc... and those are very CONFIDENTIAL... so 3rd parties shouldn't be involved or whatsoever... :)

All interpreters require to keep their confidential !!

I do not support medicaid and medicare pay for the cochlear implants surgery because it is not really medical reason. Why can't the medicaid/medicare to pay for whitness teeth or plastic surgery as beauty??? Cochlear Implants do not consider for medical purpose. Just want to hear the sounds !!

TRUE!!!! I AGREE WITH U!!! it not right!! cuzof i need denist but since i cant grrrrr not right cuz of CI is high cost than denist!! *smh*

:bump:

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum--

A reminder...please stay on topic for which this thread is concerned with, if other discussion is needed, create new threads for those.

~RR

I do not support medicaid and medicare pay for the cochlear implants surgery because it is not really medical reason. Why can't the medicaid/medicare to pay for whitness teeth or plastic surgery as beauty??? Cochlear Implants do not consider for medical purpose. Just want to hear the sounds !! >>> it is not necessarily true :) maybe for some people but not FOR EVERYONE... i did it because i wanted to improve my own voice as i work with hearing people ALL THE TIME... and i have a hard time controlling my voice as i can't hear myself and my voice was always loud.... with the CI, i am able to control my voice.. SIMPLE AS THAT.. NOTHING ELSE! :)

Yup, that is fact true. How can we control this? Government could not catch million people who are fraud. >>> GOOD QUESTION!!! BECAUSE IT IS REALLY OUT OF CONTROL!!! JEEZ... I WISH WE COULD REPORT THEM OR SOMETHING! because it is not fair to those who can't get ssi/ssdi while people like these get them and TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT! YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN??? :pissed:

Obviously, he earn the money under the table. Social Security Adminstration would never know when people who work at same time collect the ssdi checks under the table. If they do have W-2 tax, the government will find out automacilly in few years. He will be hell stuck to pay back thousand dollars to the government. It is his problem, not ours. >>> how can the goverment find out??? :hmm: i hope to hell he gets caught off guard!!! and pays a big fine!!! :squint:

I know several people who live with their girlfriends and boyfriends who make more than 50K to 80K a year, include children. They never married. They collect over 1,200 to 1,500 a month include children. That is why, they did not want to getting married. Social Security income will be reduce amount.
>>> that is so PATHETIC!!! how do they get away with it??? and how did they get ssi/ssdi in the first place??? :ugh:

All interpreters require to keep their confidential !!

that is something lucia can look into! :thumb: vp/vrs is not necessary because they are for phone calls only! :D

medical transcriptions is just typing the notes drs make via tapes... that is it...
i hope lucia reads this and maybe look into this... thanks for the heads up, girl! :hug:

TRUE!!!! I AGREE WITH U!!! it not right!! cuzof i need denist but since i cant grrrrr not right cuz of CI is high cost than denist!! *smh*

most dentists are like that... nothing to do with medicare/medicaid... the same thing applies with health insurance as well... not all "working companies" have insurance... some companies have them but not all too... it frustrates many people like my bf too... it is not easy... again, it has nothng to do with medicare/medicaid... :)

i have the link where you can find doctors that takes medicare.... i can give you the link if you would like? :) it is very helpful... that is how i found wonderful doctors when i moved here... cuz many of them are crappy!

that is something lucia can look into! :thumb: vp/vrs is not necessary because they are for phone calls only! :D

medical transcriptions is just typing the notes drs make via tapes... that is it...
i hope lucia reads this and maybe look into this... thanks for the heads up, girl! :hug:

I am so sick of hearing people look down at the Deaf people. We are able to anything expect speak and hear. I keep fight myself to be successful with Federal Government for years. Prove them that I can do with technology better for the communication access.

They need to STOP oppressive on us because we are Deaf. That is bull-shit !!

hearing people sometime have no common sense ! We should look down on them. :squint:

I am so sick of hearing people look down at the Deaf people. We are able to anything expect speak??? :squint: (tsktsk... there goes your spelling typo again!!! :rofl: :D :angel: MWAH!!!) and hear. I keep fight myself to be successful with Federal Government for years. Prove them that I can do with technology better for the communication access.

They need to STOP oppressive on us because we are Deaf. That is bull-shit !!

hearing people sometime have no common sense ! We should look down on them. :squint:

many of us, including myself can speak! :P but i know what you mean! :D

yea i know, many deaf people are oppressed by the hearing people... and it is true that many hearing people aren't as bright as they appear to be! :rofl:

shel90 said:
I just realized that many of us, including myself, are making this into a CI and SSI debate. The thread creator just asked us a simple question so I will stop with this debate about the differeent issues here. If I go off topic again in thise thread, feel free to me. LOL!
Jolie_77 said:
This is about having a discussion of SS/SSI not Cochlear Implant since it is irrevelant. It is best to maintain on the topic rather than having a thread being hijacked. Let's owe it to yourself and to ourselves to keep a cool, level-head in this thread to learn or rather to broaden our horizons on this issue.
I respectfully disagree. Because the originator of this topic is latent deaf, and she has asked for our opinions on how she may best operate under her newly acquired situation, I believe the CI topic is still relevant to this discussion. Like it or not, it is an aspect which should be considered with relation to her ability to find future employment and to work within her ability. The ultimate decision belongs to her, but she should at least know what options are available to her.
Obviously the originator of this topic feels she now has a "disability" or she would not be seeking SSDI, erego she also needs to find ways of overcoming her disability, and CI is a viable option in her situation.
With a CI she may or may not continue to feel "disabled" and may or may not be able to lead a productive life without the aid of SSDI. None of us can completely know what is best for her, as we are not in her exact situation.

LuciaDisturbed said:
I'd go into medical transcriptions but that requires phone use, I think.
Actually, that requires HEARING. As a medical transcriptionist, you must listen to audio tapes of a doctor's recordings and "transcribe" them into print. Maybe medical billing could be an option for you.
Dougus said:
Wow, I honestly can't believe the hostility and judgments going on, I mean really, please tell us how you REALLY feel. My personal opinion is if you need a helping hand, or if you legitimately cannot work you should apply. SSI has checks and balances in place to help safeguard our funds we’ve paid into SS so they are not appropriated to persons trying to take advantage, faking a condition or by means of some other type of fraud.
And we all know that there are many who slip through the cracks.
Dougus said:
I am considering using SSI myself. I was told I am profoundly deaf on 3/7 (after a 17 day hospital stay). I am the primary wage earner in my home. I have four children. My wife works but her salary will be enough to possible pay our mortgage and vehicle insurance, but that is about all. I cannot return to my current position as a Logistics Coordinator not only for the reason that I am deaf, but I also have encephalopathy (swelling of the brain) and my kidneys and liver shut down as well...My liver is back to normal, but my kidneys are only working at about 15%. The only way I think I will be able to survive the next few months at least will be with some assistance. I will probably have to sell my house because I will not be able to afford it (which is saddens me because this isn't just my house, it is our family's home, my poor kids) and I do not know when I will be able to go back to work and in what industry I will be able to work in. I do know that being deaf will most likely impact my long term wage earning potential. I could go on and on...but you see there are extenuating circumstances of why people may need SSI, so those who are judging should take in account all the additional appurtenances, assets, goods, paraphernalia, personal property, stuff, things that need tending too along with dealing with the chaos of a new and frightening challenge. GOOD LUCK ATABR! I'LL NEED SOME LUCK TOO!!
It seems that your situation is exactly what SSDI was designed for. I am certainly not encouraging anyone who actually NEEDS SSDI to not take it. There are obviously those who are incapable of working, but I have personally found that deafness alone is not worthy of long-term SSDI use. Your situation, however, obviously warrants SSDI and I wish you the best in your endeavors.
TFWFalcon said:
do not lie post here about lots of hours work like over 80 hours each week. I been there before. It was very hell. I never take that long hours again. I accept 50-60 is good enough. Over 80 hours every week physicals is going be out and become bad fatigue.
I have not lied. That is MY experience, not yours. What may be truth for one, may not be for another. Yes, it is very fatiguing, but it is still POSSIBLE. The only reason I know is because I have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. Don't rush to judgment of others until you have walked a mile in their mocassins!
TFWFalcon said:
I think this Thread is need to be closed. Due too many lie post here. I said why why keep up lie post here. what the hell wrong yourself?
And it seems you are hell-bent on getting your way by continuing to ignore the mod's demand to quit with the personal insults. If you don't like what is being said, then ignore it and move on, but it doesn't make other's statements any less valid just because you happen to disagree with them.
Kalista said:
Kalista, if a CI will help get a latent deaf individual back into the work force, then it is worth the taxpayers money for us not to continue supporting them for the rest of their lives.
Kalista said:
Why do you feel that you were block for a better career because you can't use the phone. Nowadays, we do have so much technology, video phone, ip-relay, spirit relay, hamilit, Email, etc... video phone is very helpful for the Deaf people to using interpreter. Interpreter will speak for you when you sign. It is so awesome ! I love vrs very much, it is much better than TTY Relay Operator. It is more faster and effecitively !
Like it or not, there are many careers which require the use of hearing, and it is not financially feasible to have an interpreter for all of those positions. Medical transcriptioning is one of those type jobs that require hearing and there is no way around that.
Kalista said:
hearing people sometime have no common sense ! We should look down on them.
Tit for Tat never helped anyone.

Do you even know what medical transcription involves, Kalista? It's not simple enough to use the relay system. And so many people don't like to use relay or don't understand how to use relay no matter how many times we explain to them how to use relay. It's not very effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back