Can HOH genuinely identify as Deaf?

Im one of those so-called 'oral success stories'. I can speak well enough that the average hearing person doesn't pick up that I'm deaf. Kids usually say something along the lines of 'you speak funny'. Everyday, to speak orally takes concentrated effort and is exhausting. To understand what others say is even more so, since i only hear vowels (no consonants) its like playing 'Wheel of Fortune' every waking hour. It very much depends on the setting and surroundings. Visibility, lighting, seating, view of mouth and face. As you all well know. People don't understand why I prefer and advocate for sign language.

Wow that's amazing!!

I'm the same way i suppose i speak really well but I guess i have that "deaf accent". It is exhausting though i love going home and taking off my hearing aids and just unwinding. It helps i wasn't born profoundly Deaf only with mild-moderare hearing loss that progressed over time due to an autoimmume condition. I was in a bad car accident when I was 5 which caused sudden severe-profound hearing loss. I look at it now as just having sped up nature ;-) its funny i did much better in speech classes throughout elementary school than my little brother who only had moderate hearing loss. I've always had strong language skills, i taught myself to read in preschool, even after the accident i was very talkative. I picked up on SEE SE and simcom the systems I used in school quickly. I wish I'd been exposed to fluent ASL younger, its much harder being older and having bad habits to rewire in my brain.

Id rather sign than speak though. When I don't use speech - it is such a weight off me. Im no longer tired. Wish I had the access when I was young.
I use Sign, Text, Email, Pen and paper now depending on who Im communicating with. I avoid speech as much as I possibly can. I spent more than 50 years accomodating others, now they can return the favour. Its not that hard if they really want to communicate with me.

I used to classify myself as being HoH but I no longer see myself that way. I am Profoundly Deaf and while I can hear with hearing aids, sometimes it's not quite enough. I cannot hear at all without them and I also can't carry conversations over the phone. It's hard for me because I don't know sign language or know anyone who is also deaf or even have a tty phone.
I really wish we had bigger community outreach in different areas because I am SURE there are many people like me out there and we could all use a friend.

I used to classify myself as being HoH but I no longer see myself that way. I am Profoundly Deaf and while I can hear with hearing aids, sometimes it's not quite enough. I cannot hear at all without them and I also can't carry conversations over the phone. It's hard for me because I don't know sign language or know anyone who is also deaf or even have a tty phone.
I really wish we had bigger community outreach in different areas because I am SURE there are many people like me out there and we could all use a friend.

Tip: Google can help you find the Deaf groups and events in your area.

i had a lot of trouble in my school, i did not know where i am stand for. because, my family all of them are hearing, my school are for HOH, but without using sign language, then, my school fused with deaf school. there was a lot of argue between hoh and deaf. even tough i was told , or my diagnose, i am hoh, i felt closer to deaf. i am very curios and comfortable with sign language. hohs people who hearing better than me just a little , i could NOT always understand them. but there are nice people, so meeting from time to time is fine. but because i am hoh , speak to well, deafies avoided me( it was just in school, phew) . today i have normal hearing friend, hoh/CI friends and deafs friend. i see myself as a deaf. dont give up ;)

if any one is looking for a deaf community events. you can yahoo it bing it or even google it. The information is out there :D

if any one is looking for a deaf community events. you can yahoo it bing it or even google it. The information is out there :D

I have a challenge for you. What can you find around Centralia, Illinois. NOT Chicago! That is at least 5 hours away.

Id rather sign than speak though. When I don't use speech - it is such a weight off me. Im no longer tired. Wish I had the access when I was young.
I use Sign, Text, Email, Pen and paper now depending on who Im communicating with. I avoid speech as much as I possibly can. I spent more than 50 years accomodating others, now they can return the favour. Its not that hard if they really want to communicate with me.

My long-lost sister! :)
Don't count on favors returned, though. I mean, the "D/deaf" events are usually comprised of ASL students (mostly) and since I got new dentures, I get very very tired. Ah well.

I have a challenge for you. What can you find around Centralia, Illinois. NOT Chicago! That is at least 5 hours away.

what is around your little town?? :)

That is what I am challenging you to find. I have come up with nothing in the way of these events over the years.

I'm the same way! I'm profoundly Deaf without my hearing aids. With them.... who knows, I'm definitely not hearing. I can get around with talking in public, I can only hear people with my HAs and if I'm right in front of them, looking right at them and there's no background noise. A lot of people n public think I'm rude because I can't hear them, especially in crowds or loud areas. I'm definitely not hearing with my HAs. You're not alone :)

I'm the same way! I'm profoundly Deaf without my hearing aids. With them.... who knows, I'm definitely not hearing. I can get around with talking in public, I can only hear people with my HAs and if I'm right in front of them, looking right at them and there's no background noise. A lot of people n public think I'm rude because I can't hear them, especially in crowds or loud areas. I'm definitely not hearing with my HAs. You're not alone :)
this is me as well.. they think just because I can speak and hear with my HA I am one of them... NOPE> I am deaf without my HA. I will never be hearing and they need to understand that.

I would assume you'd also have issues finding a HLAA/hearing health group locally as well. When you're in the middle of no where specialized resources/support groups are hard to find.

this is me as well.. they think just because I can speak and hear with my HA I am one of them... NOPE> I am deaf without my HA. I will never be hearing and they need to understand that.
Yes functionally HOH is NOT hearing.

My long-lost sister! :)
Don't count on favors returned, though. I mean, the "D/deaf" events are usually comprised of ASL students (mostly) and since I got new dentures, I get very very tired. Ah well.
:wave: Yeah Ive missed you too! Ive missed being on AllDeaf. Family issues got the better of me this past year.
We both know too well we cannot expect the Hearies to return the favour, but still needs to be said.

Back