Can dogs learn ASL?

Absolutely, they can learn to respond to ASL. Service dogs, in particular are trained to respond to cues in sign.Fredfam1 psoted a couple of weeks ago about her dog that could sign "pretty girl". It was really cool.

A dog can sign??? :dizzy:

Are you joking, Jillio?

My dog is smarter than me.

I would post the video again but I've already forgotten how!:stupid:

Yes dog can learn ASL. I taught some signs to my dog, Mac who died last July 17th. He was a cocker spaniel full breed. He was very smart and know if someone is knocking on the door= like if I am sleeping- He would walk all over me and bark at my face. He would scratch my leg to get my attention. I know he want to go outside. I would sign you want go outside? he would bark and bark running back n forth to the door then to me so I would let him out. Play mean play time play with toys and laser lights. He LOVED that.. eat and drink.. stop.. and many other basic signs. I sure missed that old dog. He was 14. I would love to get another dog and train the dog to learn ASL. I do have 2 dogs and they are chihuahuas. Sock doesnt know signs at all but only hearing as she is 6 yrs old. She was handled by my brother. as for hercules he is young and I am trying to train him. I signed you want go outside? he would walk in circles.. so i know he want to go then! other signs he just ignored me and get nervous. I think chihuahuas are not good dogs to learn asl.. haha.. i dont know.. Just wait n see! I grew up around dogs and I have several dogs that I taught ASL to. Many did wonderfully. I have had Labrador Retriever/German shepherd mix, Afgahn hound, Doberman/pitbull mix, lassie mix, and many other dogs. They all did good jobs! :)

Yep I believe dogs can understand ASL.

My roommate had two yorkshire terriers who understood some signs like "sit"... and they literally jumped on the couch and sat on it! That was hilarious.

Yep! One of my maltese dogs knows a few signs. The other one is kind of stubborn so I kind of gave up on her. :ugh3:

juelz_03.jpg

[pic is kind of old but that's all I got for now]

I uses my hands to show him what I mean, like I pointed to the grass so he gets the idea to go on the grass, Or I sign "bathroom" he would know he has to do his business before entering the house.

The first time I taught him a sign for "bathroom" he urine right there in front of me in the house, It's like nooooo I didn't say do it now!! I'm asking if you gonna go??? I save that sign for outside only. :o

He knows the signs for "sit" "bathroom" "no"

Oh yes, they can including cats as well...

My cats understand my sign languages. My cats know we are deaf. They use their claws to pat my arm to tell me something what they want... and sit on front of the door to tell me that they want go out... I said :nono: Their expression of grumpy and went off... I know their own expression langauges :giggle:

It's no problem when you expose the pets/animal as babies to know who you are.

Example: monkey, apes, chimps, etc.

I uses my hands to show him what I mean, like I pointed to the grass so he gets the idea to go on the grass, Or I sign "bathroom" he would know he has to do his business before entering the house.

The first time I taught him a sign for "bathroom" he urine right there in front of me in the house, It's like nooooo I didn't say do it now!! I'm asking if you gonna go??? I save that sign for outside only. :o

He knows the signs for "sit" "bathroom" "no"

:lol: I love your dog Charlie... He is a hyper dog and have sense of humor like you... :lol:

Frist off alot of old timers, Know I respone for LMM.( Cuz her frist & only language is ASL)
LMM has a Service /seizure/hearie dog
I have translated this topic to LMM. Both LMM & my reply is here.
Frist when you train your own dog. don't mean afterwards you can take them everywhere you go. After you have train him/her you need to have them cerf. through AKC. They will send you a card showing you dog is a service dog. Because "IF" you don't have them cerf. someone refuse your service. You take them to court you don't have a leg to stand on under the ADA laws.

O.k. Now about service/pet dog's learning ASL.
Frist they learn SEE. Then it takes yrs for them to learn ASL. Same w/ some people.
ASL can & will confuse a dog.
The words sit ,good girl, pretty girl, no, yes,eat, bathroom, etc.... Yes may be ASL but not in ASL oder in SEE order.
LMM service dog does know & still learn the ASL order. We had to teach her service dog the ASL order for LMM. She knows over 200 ASL in ASL order and over 400 word all together. Yes this have taken yr on the ASL order part.

LMM

...Frist when you train your own dog. don't mean afterwards you can take them everywhere you go. After you have train him/her you need to have them cerf. through AKC. They will send you a card showing you dog is a service dog. Because "IF" you don't have them cerf. someone refuse your service. You take them to court you don't have a leg to stand on under the ADA laws.
Are you sure that is done thru the AKC? I thought the AKC just certifies the bloodlines of dogs, and their confirmation to breed standards.

O.k. Now about service/pet dog's learning ASL.
Frist they learn SEE. Then it takes yrs for them to learn ASL. Same w/ some people.
:lol: That's a good one! :lol:

Reba
Are you sure that is done thru the AKC? I thought the AKC just certifies the bloodlines of dogs, and their confirmation to breed standards.

When you cerifie throu AKC for your service, You have better service. Then "if" you go throu a site you don't know!
There's alot of site people don't know their true means about service dogs and/or Deaf.
LMM have me check out sites before I do anything for LMM.
When it comes to LMM life, theres more then people relize. LMM have reply and have me reply about Deaf/service dogs here before. Only to have people people put LMM down. This why LMM have not have me reply and/or reply for
LMM in a long time.
I do hope people will now relize LMM does know what LMM talking about. And not have people tell LMM "How rude, or LMM don't know what LMM talking about. How LMM only became a friend to see someone pic." That hurt LMM! LMM really was trying to make a new friend. LMM did enjoy that person pic.
they go back read their relpy about LMM, they see whom I'm talking about!
No, I'm not starting trouble. I'm giving facts why I haven't relpy for LMM in a while.

Have a great day, Smile
LMM

Yep! One of my maltese dogs knows a few signs. The other one is kind of stubborn so I kind of gave up on her. :ugh3:

juelz_03.jpg

[pic is kind of old but that's all I got for now]

Awwwww what a cute doggie..:aw:

Awwww, Alex...your dog is just sooo adorable!!!

Yes, i believe dogs can learn sign language if they have
the smarts....
My dog is very smart as we found out when he was a
puppy...so we taught him a few signs...he knows 3
signs.
He knows im deaf as he is very protective of me only..
weird.
My husband had a German Shepard before we were married
and that dog was very smart but very mean to everybody BUT
ME! thats because he knew im deaf!! it just blew my husband
away cus he really dont like other people, period...he has bitten
some people before...he is dead now cuz he was old..he was 13 or
14 years old.

When you cerifie throu AKC for your service, You have better service. Then "if" you go throu a site you don't know!
There's alot of site people don't know their true means about service dogs and/or Deaf.
LMM have me check out sites before I do anything for LMM.
When it comes to LMM life, theres more then people relize. LMM have reply and have me reply about Deaf/service dogs here before. Only to have people people put LMM down. This why LMM have not have me reply and/or reply for
LMM in a long time.
I do hope people will now relize LMM does know what LMM talking about. And not have people tell LMM "How rude, or LMM don't know what LMM talking about. How LMM only became a friend to see someone pic." That hurt LMM! LMM really was trying to make a new friend. LMM did enjoy that person pic.
they go back read their relpy about LMM, they see whom I'm talking about!
No, I'm not starting trouble. I'm giving facts why I haven't relpy for LMM in a while.

Have a great day, Smile
LMM
I don't know why you take offense at a simple question. I'm certainly not trying to put you down. I'm trying to get more information.

The reason I asked is because I've been searching the AKC.org website, and I can't find the link to service dog certification. If you have the link, can you please post it? That's a simple request, and it would help us all to get the information.

I don't know why you take offense at a simple question. I'm certainly not trying to put you down. I'm trying to get more information.

The reason I asked is because I've been searching the AKC.org website, and I can't find the link to service dog certification. If you have the link, can you please post it? That's a simple request, and it would help us all to get the information.

Reba,
We are ot reply that you were putting down LMM. I add that, Thats why LMM haven't had me reply and/or add post here in a long time.
"IF" LMM and/or me were mad at you we would never tell you and/or people
questions "Have a great day smile."
Now about your your question about ink on AKC.You need to contact them about cerf card. You have to cerf dog frit w/ them then they will give you inform about cerf. card for service dogs.
LMM Have a cerf. service dog card throu them. LMM service dog waas train throu a school. But LMM has 2 cerf cards 1 throu school other throu AKC. Why? AKC has some benefits,That the other 1 don't.
LMM & Sevice dog have been w/ them both for many yr.s
Sorry aaabout the misinformation. hope I cleared this up for you reba.
Have a great night Smile
LMM

Reba,
We are ot reply that you were putting down LMM. I add that, Thats why LMM haven't had me reply and/or add post here in a long time.
"IF" LMM and/or me were mad at you we would never tell you and/or people
questions "Have a great day smile."
Now about your your question about ink on AKC.You need to contact them about cerf card. You have to cerf dog frit w/ them then they will give you inform about cerf. card for service dogs.
LMM Have a cerf. service dog card throu them. LMM service dog waas train throu a school. But LMM has 2 cerf cards 1 throu school other throu AKC. Why? AKC has some benefits,That the other 1 don't.
LMM & Sevice dog have been w/ them both for many yr.s
Sorry aaabout the misinformation. hope I cleared this up for you reba.
Have a great night Smile
LMM
I hope you also have a great night. :)

Back