Can dogs learn ASL?

Keanusmom

Reaction score
Hey y'all, my son wants a dog. I was wondering if a dog could respond to ASL.

Does it have to be a certain breed?

I am a dog lover, but I grew up barking commands at them, only using my hands to tell them to come to me. I too want a dog, but I wonder how successful my son will be at training them.

Your thoughts?

yes they understand ASL if any one train them like give them a treat and signs good boy or good girl

i do with my dog he understand asl more. he used to grew with a deaf person in the household and really understand. i haven't met him yet but met his friend who gave him to me who is his ex owner (long story invovled here but it s not bad story just long story that all).

Absolutely, they can learn to respond to ASL. Service dogs, in particular are trained to respond to cues in sign.Fredfam1 psoted a couple of weeks ago about her dog that could sign "pretty girl". It was really cool.

most of dogs does understand ASL.. my old dog did.... i used ASL with my old dog... she was so bright.. i had her for 20 yrs and i had to put her to sleep.. i still miss her...

Awwww, sorry to hear that syxp. :(

But very happy to hear that I (my son) can sign to the dog.
This is going to be GREAT!!

I will still use voice commands (one child deaf, one hearing)

Any particular dog breed that is better at learning (you know how beagles and German shepherds are good police dogs) ?

Awwww, sorry to hear that syxp. :(

But very happy to hear that I (my son) can sign to the dog.
This is going to be GREAT!!

I will still use voice commands (one child deaf, one hearing)

Any particular dog breed that is better at learning (you know how beagles and German shepherds are good police dogs) ?

Keanusmom,

I have some good news for you! First of all, I'd recommend you search all my posts regarding hearing dogs, but there are too many. So, I did the next best thing . . . just for you, my dear. I have gone back through some posts that I think will help you and give you some direction. You son may be tickled pink to know that, since he's deaf, his dog can be used as a hearing dog for him, just like Snickers is to me. Let me emphasize something, however. Having a dog be a hearing dog (which is a service dog), he must be trained specifically for hearing for your son. You can even do the training if you want to, as there is no such thing as a national "certification" program for them. If there was, I'd be fighting it tooth and nail, because I don't believe in national certification for service animals whatsoever. There are books out there that help with training. One book, which I've had two a couple years ago trains hearing dogs and I can't find the link for it. There is a training dog website Train Your Own Dog. Dana is really cool and she'll help you out, answer any question you have, as well as the swell people on that site.

Once the dog is at a level that he alerts your son to noise he needs to know about, he can (the dog) start going in public with him. Now, I'm giving you a lot of information on short order and the links are at this website; I'm also recommending you go to the Department of Justice website and obtain a cd, which you can order (it's free). You, as the parent, need to crash course educate yourself regarding the ADA (The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990) and get up to speed, especially for accomodations in school for your son. If you need assistance, please don't hesitate to pm me and send it via my email and I will respond. Here are the links I told you about and good luck! ADA publications, when you get to that page, are on the right side and, the document you want regarding service animals is the 12th one down from the title "Businesses and Non-Profit Service Providers."

By the way, Snickers is an eight-year-old female Akita-German Shepherd cross. I think she was an FBI agent in a former life. ;)

ADA Home Page - ada.gov - Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-disabilities-act/23851-my-rights-keep-my-hearing-dog.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-dis...-rights-keep-my-hearing-dog-6.html#post483123

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-dis...al-excuses-your-service-dog-2.html#post464685

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-dis...b-access-denial-excuses-your-service-dog.html

Oh yeah, any type of dogs can learn ASL and hand signals. I have a dog that is English Springer Spanial and a Shetland Sheepdog and they know my asl signs pretty good. I trained them pretty young and they were great. Dogs are more likely to response well with hands signals just like ASL. You should watch a man name "Cesar Milan the dog whisper" show and he help train people and dogs to understand each other better. He is wonderful! :fingersx:

I noticed people saying ASL ANd hand signals. Keanusmom, please don't get the impression that a dog is going to take a biology exam in ASL, :giggle:

I noticed people saying ASL ANd hand signals. Keanusmom, please don't get the impression that a dog is going to take a biology exam in ASL, :giggle:
No, the doggie might need PSE for that. :lol:

Just kidding folks!

My parents have one old dog, Rafi, and one new dog, Jut. Rafi is a Rhodesian Ridgeback - a big African dog. Rafi knows many signs - "come", "stop", "up" (but done like "upstairs" to get him to stand on his back legs). He also knows hand commands that aren't signs: "sit" (dominant palm up), "down" (dominant palm down), and "rollover" ("drive" sign). My dad taught him with dog treats. He is not friendly to strangers, but so sweet with me and my family.

Jut is a Great dane. He is giant, sweet, and stupid. He knows signs and hand commands, but just sleeps on sofa, carpet, and beds. He loves all.

And both jump and bark with "dog" sign and bark more with "more" sign - I taught them. :D

hehe cute

yes dogs any dogs DO understand asl and voice, keanusmom i use BOTH with my dog he knows both

A Rhodesian Ridgeback, huh? Wow...

We had another Rhodesian Ridgeback, but he died in spring so we got Jut The Lazy Dog. Just :drool: and sleeping, but I lie on him on a floor or carpet and watch TV. Rafi would :mad2: or stand. Jut is too lazy to move.

I have a friend who have 2 Border Collies and he signs to them like "sit", "go", "stay", and a few other basic signs. He is still teaching them some more new signs. I thought it was so cool!

My parents have one old dog, Rafi, and one new dog, Jut. Rafi is a Rhodesian Ridgeback - a big African dog. Rafi knows many signs - "come", "stop", "up" (but done like "upstairs" to get him to stand on his back legs). He also knows hand commands that aren't signs: "sit" (dominant palm up), "down" (dominant palm down), and "rollover" ("drive" sign). My dad taught him with dog treats. He is not friendly to strangers, but so sweet with me and my family.

Jut is a Great dane. He is giant, sweet, and stupid. He knows signs and hand commands, but just sleeps on sofa, carpet, and beds. He loves all.

And both jump and bark with "dog" sign and bark more with "more" sign - I taught them. :D

ah speaking of great danes my dad raised many of them and I still adore them as always lol. I love the big goofy eyes that my dad's dane do all the time and of course they can be couch potatos most of the time. LOL:giggle:

LOL GTM
my dog is too couch potato lol

LOL got love those dogs for being silly and cute and loveable lol. They know how to make your heart so warm up inside heee. You should have seen my Springer spainal stole my brother pizza! lol That was way too funny! ha :giggle:

Absolutely, they can learn to respond to ASL. Service dogs, in particular are trained to respond to cues in sign.Fredfam1 psoted a couple of weeks ago about her dog that could sign "pretty girl". It was really cool.

I agree with you. :giggle:

Back