Can Deafies Teach?

You may be right, but I am lost already... I will need 5 to 6 years to master ASL, and in 5 or 6 years is too much time for a 33 years old person.... (especially when success is not guaranteed even with ASL). Let's better say, I lost and no chances to teach :)
In 5 or 6 years you'll be 5 or 6 years older whether or not you learn ASL. Why not be 5 or 6 years older and have that skill and no regrets?

Ditto what Reba said.

33 is not old. It's never too late to start anything. I'm...well older...yet I still like to learn new stuff. And I may have to if I want to get back into the job market.

You may be right, but I am lost already... I will need 5 to 6 years to master ASL, and in 5 or 6 years is too much time for a 33 years old person.... (especially when success is not guaranteed even with ASL). Let's better say, I lost and no chances to teach :)

It took less than one year for me to master with ASL, from SEE to ASL.

A college wants to discuss with me about a teaching opportunity and I am not sure if I should let them know beforehand of my hearing condition :) I don't know what to do, and maybe it was not smart for me to apply in adjunct positions. However, there should be opportunities in life/career for deafies too and, who knows, with little teaching experience from community colleges I may look forward for deaf colleges. I am confused now (I am waiting an answer for another non-teaching job also).

YES. Abso-tooting-lootely. I've taught yoga classes in ASL, to hearing people who don't know ASL and I got nothing but raves and repeat students. It's all about empathy and confidence.

You don't even need to know ASL to do this. You're already gifted visually and kinesthetically in many hidden ways.

The whole, "You have to speak and hear to teach a classroom" rhetoric completely neglects your sheer brilliance as a human being. It implies that you can't figure out how to come up with a method of teaching that makes your students better off than they would have been with yet another boring old same classroom. You become a paradigm creator, something your hearing peers won't easily be.

I think you're freaking brilliant and if you're fired up to do this, I would LOVE to see you rock it.

Of course they can....I've met some Deaf teachers at RIT.

I don't get it. If you can speak 4 languages and is asking if you can teach.....if you have a masters in something you are eligible to teach in most community colleges that is a smaller classroom setting and might be easier for you to talk in the classroom. If you have a hard time hearing students then you can request that they speak slower and clearer for you to understand. Most college students are more understanding. You can set up more electronic communications. Just because you're hard of hearing doesn't mean you limit yourself. Having hearing aids help you at all? Apparently you do well out there without relying on any sign lanuage.

Back