Can anyone help us?

PJandCheryl

Reaction score
PJ is 32 and has been deaf since age 18 mos. due to spinal or spiral meningitis.(he's not sure) We were raised in a town of 1,200 where he was the only deaf person. His mom had him in deaf school since the age of 3 and he was mainstreamed into our public school at age 8 into Kindergarten. He thrived in all aspects of school: athletically, socially, and academically. He is now a lead supervisor for a boat company. He builds yachts. We have been married for almost five yrs. He is very interested in CI's. Does anyone know if there is financial help available to help offset costs of receiving a CI? We just had a baby 11/11/03. PJ is feeling a little depressed that he can't hear our new baby Jarod. Anything you can tell us would be helpful. God Bless

Last edited:
does ur insurance cover for it? most insurance companys do cover for CI.
Other thing that can help if insurance doesn't cover.. try contact social worker in ur area.

You can get a very substantial discount on a CI by paying cash on the barrel head instead of financing it. My friend and neighbor got the entire package, including all the post-op stuff, for $38,000 by paying the full amount up front. I realize that this doesn’t exactly address the question that you’re asking, but it is an option you could consider.

PJandCheryl said:
PJ is 32 and has been deaf since age 18 mos. due to spinal or spiral meningitis.(he's not sure) We were raised in a town of 1,200 where he was the only deaf person. His mom had him in deaf school since the age of 3 and he was mainstreamed into our public school at age 8 into Kindergarten. He thrived in all aspects of school: athletically, socially, and academically. He is now a lead supervisor for a boat company. He builds yachts. We have been married for almost five yrs. He is very interested in CI's. Does anyone know if there is financial help available to help offset costs of receiving a CI? We just had a baby 11/11/03. PJ is feeling a little depressed that he can't hear our new baby Jarod. Anything you can tell us would be helpful. God Bless
check this: http://listen-up.org/haidfund.htm (for TOC of listen-up site: http://listen-up.org/htm/toc.htm )

Hi PJand Cheryl! Mediciad covers CIs if I'm not mistaken.
You may find it difficult to get covered for CIs since many experts(insurance and medical...not just Deaf "experts") claim that being implanted as an adult is of little benifit since prelingal adults tend not to do too well with CIs. However, perilingal adults (those who were deafened while aquirring language) can do better then most classic prelingal deaf(those deafened before one year or born deaf) since their brains had some exposure to sound and speech the way hearing people hear sounds and speech.

Oh there are one more. I know there are ADA law that require for employee's work to support for cochlear implant. Beside it is require by ADA laws due the medical reason.

Back