Can a person be profoundly deaf with residual hearing?

yes and no.

I was born profound deaf. I can't hear my own voice without hearing aid. But i can hear any dogs' barking that is too close to me or airplane fly over me that is close to me.

That's like me as well. There are certain tones that, if loud enough, I can hear them. I can't hear my voice and voice recognition/comprehension is near zero.

As for the legally Deaf comment I've used that before as well simply because that's how my audiologist referred to it. :dunno:

For me, I'm profoundly deaf, Without HA, I can hear dog barked or train horn, or when I was a little kid, my mother tend to talk close to my ear saying "Good night" in bed. Now with HA, I can identify the distinct sounds, like I can tell the differences between large jets, or small planes or helicopters approaching, and even I can tell the differences between military helicopter and commercial helicopter. The only problem is the directional of where the sound coming from. I can't wait for getting another HA for my left ear that have blue tooth technology communicating between left and right HA. This technology suppose to help me where the sound is coming from.

I'm directionally challenged as well. I know if there is an ambulance nearby but I don't know where it's coming from so I have to look around.

I'm directionally challenged as well. I know if there is an ambulance nearby but I don't know where it's coming from so I have to look around.

I'm hearing and I have to do that with an ambulance. I think it has something to do with the pitch of the siren that makes it hard to tell if it is behind you or in front of you.

I'm hearing and I have to do that with an ambulance. I think it has something to do with the pitch of the siren that makes it hard to tell if it is behind you or in front of you.

I swear hearing people have no idea fire trucks or ambulances are around them - even if they're blaring and flashing... its like ........ dude.

I swear hearing people have no idea fire trucks or ambulances are around them - even if they're blaring and flashing... its like ........ dude.

:laugh2:

I know they are there...I just have to check to see where they are coming from. When my son was a kid, he would always sign "Fire Truck" before I heard it, though!:lol:

Originally Posted by rebeccalj

Quote:
Originally Posted by posts from hell

Originally Posted by posts from jillio
I know they are there...I just have to check to see where they are coming from. When my son was a kid, he would always sign "Fire Truck" before I heard it, though!

Did u know that there are 3 different siren sound effects of police, ambulance n' fire truck?

If it's near behind ur back, the ambulance will change the sound with the low tone blaring when comes to slow down appoachin nearby intersection. It's not the same thing as the sound from a far distance with the high pitch that's why the siren is driving faster becos of more spacious room on the road without blocking from the traffic.

If u don't see anything alarm flashing in front of u, just simple look in the rear mirror to check up where the sound comes from.

Did u know that there are 3 different siren sound effects of police, ambulance n' fire truck?

If it's near behind ur back, the ambulance will change the sound with the low tone blaring when comes to slow down appoachin nearby intersection. It's not the same thing as the sound from a far distance with the high pitch that's why the siren is driving faster becos of more spacious room on the road without blocking from the traffic.

If u don't see anything alarm flashing in front of u, just simple look in the rear mirror to check up where the sound comes from.

In other words: common sense.

Well, I'm total deaf in somewhat but I can hear a car crash back of my head while I was driving in my car very slow traffic on the fwy. I just knew it after I heard another car got crash again every turn. I had to move quickly my car to get off the lane on the empty space before they might hit next to my car, then I realized that I was lucky.
Even outside I still can hear while I was sitting in the living room watching TV with 2 deaf roommates, then all the sudden I heard a glass broken from the outside by the street. That's becuz I wear two hearing aids one on the left side by the door n' the other right side I don't hear anything. That's how I found out it was too obvious direction from the outside becuz I don't see exit door nothing happens.

Sorry if it sounded angry towards you, it wasn't intentional, my way with words isn't good, so I apologise.

Back