Can a person be profoundly deaf with residual hearing?

I was born Profound Deaf and I can't hear anything, but I can hear the Dogs barking if its right next to me, I dont know if that's hearing or feeling the vibration. I can feel the vibration when the airplane is close, like if I'm at the airport or something like that.

But like Normal sounds, pfft, I can't hear a thing... it's total silence.

I hate that when my son raised his voice up ( not yell or scream) in my ear and it was the only one time! :shock: I know my son did not mean to and didn't realize i can hear some that he was too close to my ear. It hits my brain like brain was jell-o that did effect my eyes moves so fast. *shudder*. SO i still can hear some so i was born profoundly deaf.

maybe doctor can be mistake between with level of sounds for mild moderate profoundly or severe.

If profound hearing loss falls anywhere between the 90dB and 110-120dB measurable range, that leaves a bit of residual hearing for most considered deaf who aren't at the outer reach. My daughter was measured at the low end of that range, between 90-105 across the frequencies, and so she has some residual hearing despite being profoundly deaf. It doesn't enable her to hear voices at any volume as the OP can, although with hearing aids she did detect a teapot whistle going off, and reacted to a dog barking right next to her. She couldnt hear painfully loud fireworks when we were in China -- which was our tip-off -- and has slept just out of the spotlight onstage at an extraordinarily loud rock concert at Fenway.

Sounds a lot like me! I'm at 110 db. I either have marvelous, marvelous hearing aids or I have a wonderful imagination! :lol: Truthfully, it seems like I hear quite a bit going around me. Distinguishable? Not always, not often. But I at least am aware of my environmental sounds. Like the teapot, dog barking, etc., like you said.

My doctor told me that my last hearing test indicated that I am profoundly deaf, however, I hear (barely) my own voice which sounds ver distorted, and I hear when the music begins and ends at church. I have no clue what they are saying but it sounds like a bad radio station.

I thought profoundly deaf means you cannot hear anything. I feel like I still have some hearing even if it is next to none.
Are you hearing those things with or without the hearing aids? Cause the profoundly deaf usually do hear some things with the hearing aid but hardly hear anything without it.

Sounds a lot like me! I'm at 110 db. I either have marvelous, marvelous hearing aids or I have a wonderful imagination! :lol: Truthfully, it seems like I hear quite a bit going around me. Distinguishable? Not always, not often. But I at least am aware of my environmental sounds. Like the teapot, dog barking, etc., like you said.

There are so many variables involved regarding how well one can use the residual hearing they have. That is why it is so difficult to predict anything based on an audiogram alone. Even personality type comes into play when using residual hearing.

And

I hate that when my son raised his voice up ( not yell or scream) in my ear and it was the only one time! :shock: I know my son did not mean to and didn't realize i can hear some that he was too close to my ear. It hits my brain like brain was jell-o that did effect my eyes moves so fast. *shudder*. SO i still can hear some so i was born profoundly deaf.

maybe doctor can be mistake between with level of sounds for mild moderate profoundly or severe.

Order should read Hard of hearing...profound and TOTALLY.

Or maybe Profound and then Totally, as some profound can wear hearing Aids, TOTALLY cant use anything...

hello :)

I was born Profound Deaf and I can't hear anything, but I can hear the Dogs barking if its right next to me, I dont know if that's hearing or feeling the vibration. I can feel the vibration when the airplane is close, like if I'm at the airport or something like that.

But like Normal sounds, pfft, I can't hear a thing... it's total silence.

You could put FOGHORN next to me I WOULDN'T hear it.....I cant hear planes dogs NOTHING....if you can hear dogs then that's slight hearing..

Yes, I also made a good use of environmental sounds when I wore my hearing aids growing up.

How did you use the sounds?
Oh in more than one way. Perhaps, if I mention every little way I used or benefited from sounds on a daily basis, it would be too numerous or broad to mention in here. As a matter of fact, I sometime even used to get a little annoyed when I used to think CI stories exaggerated the thinking that it enabled the deaf to go from "hearing nothing at all" to "to hearing everything!" Cause I knew from my experience that the deaf was able to hear more things with their hearing aids than some or many thought. Even on that note, some of the deaf do not have to wear hearing aids if they are not contented with it nor feel they benefit from it.

Oh in more than one way. Perhaps, if I mention every little way I used or benefited from sounds on a daily basis, it would be too numerous or broad to mention in here. As a matter of fact, I sometime even used to get a little annoyed when I used to think CI stories exaggerated the thinking that it enabled the deaf to go from "hearing nothing at all" to "to hearing everything!" Cause I knew from my experience that the deaf was able to hear more things with their hearing aids than some or many thought. Even on that note, some of the deaf do not have to wear hearing aids if they are not contented with it nor feel they benefit from it.

I see what you did there. Didn't even answer my question again.

Last edited:

Ummm....I don't see an answer to the quesion there. Not even a single, solitary example that would have answered the question. Just a lot of words put together with the intent of not answering.

Alright, here's my question in return, why you want to know? Are you thinking about getting an hearing aid yourself...? I didn't think so either.

I touched a button? I see.

I actually was just wondering what I was missing in life without using certain sounds. Like I will be sitting around waiting intently to hear a fire alarm to go off. One day it does then while walking out of the building I'll be like *fist pump* -telling a co-worker- "Man, if I didn't hear that fire alarm go off, I'd be doomed." coworker: "yeah.... dang. We should thank god that you have a hearing device."

I guess I am missing out on that experience. Sounds thrilling.

Hmmm. Would a blindfolded CI user have trouble determining from which direction a sound is coming from? Just curious.

Back