Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat05

Reaction score
Dear all,
This week we found out that our 16-month old son is practically deaf (neurosensitory type).
I have so many questions... I guess that what matters to me most is this: can my baby hear and gradually learn talking only with hearing aids of high quality? Or is implanting our only choice since he is too little to have acquired language skills?
Is there any chance that his hearing will be restored? we do not know what caused the damage - we are currently testing metabolic abnormalities and waiting for the results. We feel realy shocked since this is the first incident in the family, I had a perfectly natural pregnancy, he was not premature, and generally everytything seemed OK, with only exception his hypotonia of the trunk which was successfully treated by physiotherapy.
And my last question... How can I help my child? Of course I intend to start speech therapy for him but how can I help him at home?
Any advice would be welcome since we feel really depressed at the moment...

learn ASL (American Sign Language) and expose him to it so he will acquire a language.

Dear all,
This week we found out that our 16-month old son is practically deaf (neurosensitory type).
I have so many questions... I guess that what matters to me most is this: can my baby hear and gradually learn talking only with hearing aids of high quality? Or is implanting our only choice since he is too little to have acquired language skills?
Is there any chance that his hearing will be restored? we do not know what caused the damage - we are currently testing metabolic abnormalities and waiting for the results. We feel realy shocked since this is the first incident in the family, I had a perfectly natural pregnancy, he was not premature, and generally everytything seemed OK, with only exception his hypotonia of the trunk which was successfully treated by physiotherapy.
And my last question... How can I help my child? Of course I intend to start speech therapy for him but how can I help him at home?

Ok, I'm hearing, but start with learning ASL. For the deaf, it's the most natural language. See how hearing aids work for him, don't just jump into implants. Hearing aids sometimes help better than implants, and a CI is NOT a miracle cure.

I can't stress learning ASL enough.

The problem is that we live in Greece... ASL is not common here, I am afraid that he is going to face great problems with that only... Do you think that it will be impossible for him to learn to talk???

What about Greek Sign Language?

No impossible but it is the receptive part that many of us have issues with. I use hearing aids and I can talk but I struggled to understand what everyone was saying. That's why I learned ASL.

The problem is that we live in Greece... ASL is not common here, I am afraid that he is going to face great problems with that only... Do you think that it will be impossible for him to learn to talk???

Learn sign language in general. It'll help him. It's not impossible for him to speak, but it won't necessarily be easy. Get in contact with the local deaf community, they can help.

What about Greek Sign Language?

No impossible but it is the receptive part that many of us have issues with. I use hearing aids and I can talk but I struggled to understand what everyone was saying. That's why I learned ASL.

Did you learn to talk while you were hearing through hearing aids? I was wondering how easy could that be for a baby, that's why I am asking....

Many of us learned to talk with hearing aids. It depends partly on the degree of loss how well he can learn speech through hearing aids.

Are you citizens of Greece who will always live there? Learning the sign language of the place he will usually live should be helpful.

yes we will always live here; our society is in general quite negative towards deaf people that use ASL, that's why I would like my baby to learn talking-if that's feasible of course...

yes we will always live here; our society is in general quite negative towards deaf people that use ASL, that's why I would like my baby to learn talking-if that's feasible of course...

Even with good oral skills, general society was negative towards to me and several of my deaf friends growing up.

Speaking doesnt solve all of society's prejudices. However, giving your child sign language will ensure that he wont end up with language delays and will not struggle with literacy skills later on.

Dear all,

my son was born deaf...he started using hearing aids and he actually heard a little i mean very little and he must have heard cuz he called me MAMA :) he has a cochlear now.

I understand that you have to grieve the loss of a hearing child that you expected. Meanwhile, you've got to deal with parenting a deaf/hoh child. He's the same little boy you fell in love with when he arrived, and he's going to have a full, rich life. Keep that in mind and find as much support as you can. This is not a tragedy, it's just a different adventure than you expected.

I don't think we realized at first that you live in Greece. You don't have to learn ASL; Greek sign language would be a huge start. It's another form of communication until you get a HA issue worked out.

What I would also do, is contact schools for the Deaf. Yes, dhh kids can learn to develop speech through hearing aids. They have for decades you know.

Status of Sign Language

Is Sign Language legally recognised as part of your Government's constitution? Yes, Greek Sign Language (GSN) has been recognised by law as the official language of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in the educational field.

Hellenic/Greek Deaf Association

The thing is....the myth that kids won't learn to talk or won't get speech therapy in a sign using program, is just that.....a myth. The gross majority of dhh kids get intense speech therapy

yes they can! but for me, I was a late talker since I spoke at 6 years old.

Wirelessly posted

kat05 said:

it depends on how much he can hear, as bott said.

my daughter could not understand spoken language through listening, even though she had a moderate hearing loss. She now has 2 cochlear implants and is able to understand even strangers and on the phone.

i would also recommend joining cicircle if you are interested in talking with other parents of children with implants.

also, it is never a bad idea to use sign with your child with a hearing loss. It will ensure that he has language!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back