Can a baby learn talking when hearing through hearing aids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learn Greek Sign Language.

I strongly believe that with knowing sign language the child will be better off socially and emotionally. It has been shown many times. On the forum you will find many people discussing this, take a gander.

Happy kids almost always equal success.

A little about me so you have some understanding - I am a parent of a Deaf child. She uses American Sign Language daily. No hearing aids or such. She speaks ASL fluently and poetically. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

All in all, a very rewarding experience.

Sending the best out to you, keep us updated.

To further reinforce my previous post:

The review also revealed that self-esteem was higher among those deaf people whose parents used sign language at home compared to those whose parents preferred an oral upbringing.
Children whose parents used spoken language, finger spelling, and sign language to communicate with them had higher self-esteem than children whose parents only used spoken language. The more skilled the parents were at sign language, the better the values for a child's self-esteem.
There was also a positive connection between self-esteem and reading skills.

Feel free to read the research paper here -
Self-esteem and Satisfaction With Life of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing People

If I was in that position with my child, I would talk and sign with him simutaneously. Give him the gift of both languages, particularly because you don't know what his future will hold.

If I was in that position with my child, I would talk and sign with him simutaneously. Give him the gift of both languages, particularly because you don't know what his future will hold.

Speaking one language and signing the other language only causes confusion. Just take a look at Signed Exact English.

Matter of a fact, the person who came up with Signed Exact English lives here in this town. He uses ASL. :hmm:

He may or may not learn to hear with hearing aids. But what he needs right now is bonding and babbling with his parents, be it talking or in sign language, it's all part of that essential language development and he, like any baby, needs to exercise and learn language skills. If he's not hearing at the moment, then you must learn sign and use it with him so he's developing cognitive skills of associating "words" to objects, wants, expressions of thought.

All of that is essential, even to a deaf baby and talking with one's hands is a tool to express language just like using's one voice. They are tools use to express language that is developed in the mind.

My parents were not prepared for a deaf child either, in fact, most deaf kids have hearing parents so you are not alone in what you are going through. Deafness is only a tragedy if you make it so.

In the meantime, connect and bond and COMMUNICATE with your baby, however you can. If he can't hear, then let him use his eyes to "hear" his mommy talking and introducing thoughts and concepts and expressions to him. Like all babies, he needs it.

Browse around some threads here, you will understand why the majority here will say sign is so important to keep a child connected to family and friends and especially so for his psychological and social well being.

Don't despair, your baby has no clue there's anything wrong, he's happy. Don't ever let him feel there is something wrong with him and that life will never be good if it's not fixed. Whatever happens in his future, as long as he knows he will be fine, hearing or not, then he will be.

yes we will always live here; our society is in general quite negative towards deaf people that use ASL, that's why I would like my baby to learn talking-if that's feasible of course...

I see. Have you met Deaf people before ? if not, then just give it a try to meet some deaf people who use asl and have talk with them first.

Thanks guys... So I guess that he can learn to talk but it will be difficult right? And to be on the safe side we should also sign? Thank God he is a very social and expressive baby (my parents still cannot believe that he is almost deaf since they say that he does not "look" deaf and kind of isolated from his environment. Maybe they just refuse to see the truth, it's hard).
Another question now: yesterday he first wore his hearing aids. I noticed that he still doesn't seem to hear many noises, is that OK? For the time being I try to get him wear the hearing aids for 1-2 hours per day during which I show him different objects in the house naming them. is that a good idea? Tomorrow I am seeing a speech therapist also.
Any other ideas/sites/tips for us the beginners would be appreciated!!!

I d like that if you contact any deaf services to see if they have deaf baby programs for deaf baby to participle and can socialize with other deaf baby so they all would feel normal so they would not think negative for the rest of their lives.

I was born profoundly deaf. My parents decide to find the program or classes whatever to have me to meet other deaf kids, when i was around 2 yrs old. I dont remember but i know for sure that i have never issue with my own self esteems when i am around hearing people. I know i am not alone. I do sign all my life and love it. First i ve already accepted who I am when I was a teen because it just dawned on me knowing that im not the same as hearing people. I thanked to my parents for allowing me to socialize with varies of deaf/hoh/oral deaf kids to build up who i am. Today i am ASL user and work with hearing people for 16 years old. i dont speak that well but it does not bother me. I use my HA for my own, not anyone's.

your baby is going to be fine as long as baby socializes with other deaf babies and let go flow with the situation go. :)

Thanks guys... So I guess that he can learn to talk but it will be difficult right? And to be on the safe side we should also sign? Thank God he is a very social and expressive baby (my parents still cannot believe that he is almost deaf since they say that he does not "look" deaf and kind of isolated from his environment. Maybe they just refuse to see the truth, it's hard).
Another question now: yesterday he first wore his hearing aids. I noticed that he still doesn't seem to hear many noises, is that OK? For the time being I try to get him wear the hearing aids for 1-2 hours per day during which I show him different objects in the house naming them. is that a good idea? Tomorrow I am seeing a speech therapist also.

1. you can't "look" deaf... Deaf people do not look any different than you, or sally jo down the street... deaf babies are often very expressive, because that is how the communicate, and they look for cues around them.
2. you can't just expect him to react to things with his hearing aids the first time he puts them on... because really... at this point... its 100% noise... he has no idea what things are, or why these sounds are in his ears... and it can get REALLY frustrating, and even give a headache.

Learn Sign. Not be be on the safe side, but to give him a form of communication that doesn't rely on his weakest sense, one that he won't miss out on the communication, one that he can actually understand with. Give him sign, because it is his natural form of communication, not just a just in case...

Yes, he can learn to talk. It'll be relying on his weakest sense too. It's amazing how fast a baby can adapt to what they have. Now your little one is visual instead of aural and will appear to know things that you wouldn't expect him to know.

When I asked my mother how she learned sign language while I was a little one she said she had printed out papers with sign on them and taped them onto everything. Ie: a sign for refrigerator taped on the refrigerator, doubled hundreds time over.

You might like this video - This video is made for these who are in America.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br6LLP_j_Ec]Why ASL? - YouTube[/ame]

All the best.

Yes, he can learn to talk. It'll be relying on his weakest sense too. It's amazing how fast a baby can adapt to what they have. Now your little one is visual instead of aural and will appear to know things that you wouldn't expect him to know.

When I asked my mother how she learned sign language while I was a little one she said she had printed out papers with sign on them and taped them onto everything. Ie: a sign for refrigerator taped on the refrigerator, doubled hundreds time over.

You might like this video - This video is made for these who are in America.
Why ASL? - YouTube

All the best.

It seems that those parents who were truly devoted to meeting their child's needs all used very similar ways to do that, by instinct. There certainly wasn't a great deal of resources out there to help us plan these things. I used the taping signs, words, and pictures via flash cards to everything so that my son could learn incidentally the same way a hearing kid has the opportunity to learn incidentally. Just made sense when I approached things from my son's perspective instead of from my own perspective.

Although it is generally never too late to do anything, the time is NOW for you to take up Greek Sign Language yourself and introduce your child to GSL as well and to mingle with others as your child is within that window of opportunity to acquire a language most easily. The rest, like hearing aids and speech therapy can follow.

As you said, there's this air of negativity towards deaf people in Greece. Well, that's not going to go away. It comes with the territory and you have to take this on your shoulder today. Can't stress enough that there can't be any delay.

Best wishes

I learned to speak as soon as I got my hearing aids. Even if your child learns to speak she will still have a "deaf accent" People will notice. It is your child, and you do what you think is right. Do not worry about the people that look down on deafness. They are the ignorant ones.

Can one really sign ASL while speaking English?

Wirelessly posted

Babyblue said:
I learned to speak as soon as I got my hearing aids. Even if your child learns to speak she will still have a "deaf accent" People will notice. It is your child, and you do what you think is right. Do not worry about the people that look down on deafness. They are the ignorant ones.

only if the child is speaking sounds they can't hear. I know lots of deaf people who do not "sound deaf". Generally they have implants or a mild-moderate loss.

Wirelessly posted

only if the child is speaking sounds they can't hear. I know lots of deaf people who do not "sound deaf". Generally they have implants or a mild-moderate loss.

This is ncorrect and has nothing to do with this child or this case. And I know of no CI user that does not speak with a degree of what is known as the "deaf accent". Remember Pek1? He claimed to "speak perfectly with no deaf accent"? He had a moderate loss I believe, and did extremely well at measured aided levels. As a challange, I provided him my phone number. I He did call, and after talking with him awhile, I listed for him the exact phonemes and blends that we was pronouncing with a definate typical accent associated with people with hearing loss.

I would suggest that you are not hearing it simply because you are ignoring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back