Cameras

Did you know that film is equalivent to around 20 megapixels? We need more detail in photos with higher megapixels. :) I think nature photographers need higher megapixel cameras due to framed pictures for wall, desktop pictures, all that stuff.

it's pointless to have 20 megapixel photos if you're gonna use small pictures

simply put - the bigger pix is (like poster size), the higher megapixel you need. More megapixel is NOT EQUAL to excellent details in a photo.

it's pointless to have 20 megapixel photos if you're gonna use small pictures

simply put - the bigger pix is (like poster size), the higher megapixel you need. More megapixel is NOT EQUAL to excellent details in a photo.

Like I said....detail! It doesn't matter what size the photos are... you forgot about one important word...CROP! You can crop to the smallest detail and use it as a small photo. The higher megapixel gets more detail and you can crop it out for different purposes.

Like I said....detail! It doesn't matter what size the photos are... you forgot about one important word...CROP! You can crop to the smallest detail and use it as a small photo.

you can do that with small megapixel. I never go beyond 2 because it's pointless

you can do that with small megapixel. I never go beyond 2 because it's pointless

It doesn't work that way with a 2 megapixel. Let me explain an example: When you take a picture of a woman about 1/4 mile away with a 2 megapixel camera. If you zoom up to 100 percent, it will look blurry and pixelated. When you take a picture of the same subject on a 15-20 megapixel camera, the detail is lot better in smaller area and it doesn't appear as pixelated and it's croppable. Same idea you do that with wildlife that are so far away which is more efficent on a higher megapixel camera, sometimes you have one chance to capture things with zoom that didn't have enough oo mph.

That's why satellites use gigapixel cameras to take pictures of our planet and gets lot of detail to the roofs of the houses or trees, or even people.

The Megapixel Myth
The Myth

The megapixel myth was started by camera makers and swallowed hook, line and sinker by camera measurebators. Camera makers use the number of megapixels a camera has to hoodwink you into thinking it has something to do with camera quality. They use it because even a tiny linear resolution increase results in a huge total pixel increase, since the total pixel count varies as the total area of the image, which varies as the square of the linear resolution. In other words, an almost invisible 40% increase in the number of pixels in any one direction results in a doubling of the total number of pixels in the image. Therefore camera makers can always brag about how much better this week's camera is, with even negligible improvements.

This gimmick is used by salespeople and manufacturers to you feel as if your current camera is inadequate and needs to be replaced even if the new cameras each year are only slightly better.

One needs at least a doubling of linear resolution or film size to make an obvious improvement. This is the same as quadrupling the megapixels. A simple doubling of megapixels, even if all else remained the same, is very subtle. The factors that matter, like color and sharpening algorithms, are far more significant.

The megapixel myth is also prevalent because men always want a single number by which something's goodness can be judged.

Unfortunately, it's all a myth because the number of megapixels (MP) a camera has has very little to do with how the image looks. Even worse, plenty of lower MP cameras can make better images than poorer cameras with more MP.

Introduction

For normal 4x6" (10x15cm) prints, even VGA (640 x 480 or 0.3MP) resolution is just fine. Digital cameras did this back in 1991!

In 1999 when digital cameras were only 1.2 or 2 MP, each megapixel mattered if you were making bigger prints.

Today, even the cheapest cameras have at least 5 or 6 MP, which enough for any size print. How? Simple: when you print three-feet (1m) wide, you stand further back. Print a billboard, and you stand 100 feet back. 6MP is plenty.

Sharpness depends more on your photographic skill than the number of megapixels, because most people's sloppy technique or subject motion blurs the image more than the width of a microscopic pixel.

Even when megapixels mattered, there was little visible difference between cameras with seemingly different ratings. For instance, a 3 MP camera pretty much looks the same as a 6 MP camera, even when blown up to 12 x 18" (30x50cm)! I know because I've done this. Have you? NY Times tech writer David Pogue did this here and here and saw the same thing — nothing!

Joe Holmes' limited-edition 13 x 19" prints of his American Museum of Natural History series sell at Manhattan's Jen Bekman Gallery for $650 each. They're made on a 6MP D70.

There are plenty of shows selling shots from fuzzy Holgas for a lot more money, just that those folks don't tell me about it. Holgas sell for $24.95, brand new, here. You can see an award-winning shot made with a Holga hanging in Washington, D.C.'s Hemicycle Gallery of the Corcoran Museum of Art in their 2006 Eyes of History competition of the White House News Photographers Association here.

Sharpness has very little to do with image quality, and resolution has little to do with sharpness. Resolution (pixel count) has nothing to do with picture quality. Color and tone are far more important technically. Even Consumer Reports in their November 2002 issue noted some lower resolution digital cameras made better images than some higher resolution ones. That was a long time ago!

More megapixels, better photos: Fact or fiction?
"There is definitely a decrease in image quality," said Dave Etchells, editor of a camera reviews Web site, the Imaging Resource, which performs extensive camera tests. "There have been some improvements in semiconductor process technology for sensors, so it's mitigated the problem a bit, but there overall has been an increase in image noise."

Why increase pixel counts?
There are advantages to increasing the number of megapixels. Larger prints that require a minimum pixel count can be easier to make, and consumers can crop images to focus on just the subject matter they want.

But there are costs, too. Among the more obvious burdens: Camera image-processing chips have more data to digest; memory cards and hard drives fill up faster; and photo editing puts greater space, memory and time demands on computers.

More subtle problems also are possible. Camera image sensors rarely get larger from one generation to the next, so squeezing more megapixels out of a sensor means each pixel on the sensor is smaller. In most of the chip business, smaller electronics are dandy, but with cameras, they translate to less light per pixel.

That light difference means it's harder to distinguish the signals produced by light from the electronic noise in the sensor. The idea of making the signal-to-noise ratio worse may sound pretty technical, but possible consequences are easily understood: Images suffer from color speckles, and cameras work poorly in dimmer conditions such as indoors.

"If you try to cram more pixels into the same amount of space, you risk getting signal degradation because you're not getting as much light into the same pixel," said Chris Crotty, an analyst with iSuppli.

It can be tough for consumers to understand why they might not want to snap up the most megapixels possible. "People can understand the idea of more numbers is better," Crotty said. "But signal-to-noise, fill factors, dynamic range, blooming--these are concepts most people aren't going to understand."

--Stephen Shankland

Jiro, I'm not listening to you. Stop being a smart ass, ok? I know it by my experience not based on what they're saying. This has nothing to do with print, it's all about detail ON the computer screen for web publishing/cropping. Thank you for your time. :roll:

It doesn't work that way with a 2 megapixel. Let me explain an example: When you take a picture of a woman about 1/4 mile away with a 2 megapixel camera. If you zoom up to 100 percent, it will look blurry and pixelated. When you take a picture of the same subject on a 15-20 megapixel camera, the detail is lot better in smaller area and it doesn't appear as pixelated and it's croppable. Same idea you do that with wildlife that are so far away which is more efficent on a higher megapixel camera, sometimes you have one chance to capture things with zoom that didn't have enough oo mph.

That's why satellites use gigapixel cameras to take pictures of our planet and gets lot of detail to the roofs of the houses or trees, or even people.

well - the reason why satellite has "gigapixel" cameras is because well.. Earth is a pretty big planet. :lol:

well mind you - it's not mega/giga-pixel that does it all for satellite. It's because it's equipped with dozens, if not thousands, of CCD sensors. It's also equipped with high-grade lens that's made of rare earth material.

Jiro, I'm not listening to you. Stop being a smart ass, ok? I know it by my experience not based on what they're saying. This has nothing to do with print, it's all about detail ON the computer screen for web publishing/cropping. Thank you for your time. :roll:

but I just showed you ample amount of proof from experts that says opposite of what you just said. It's not the megapixel.... it's the CCD sensor. DSLR has a very large CCD sensor especially Canon. That's why Canon is widely-used by professionals.

well - the reason why satellite has "gigapixel" cameras is because well.. Earth is a pretty big planet. :lol:

well mind you - it's not mega/giga-pixel that does it all for satellite. It's because it's equipped with dozens, if not thousands, of CCD sensors. It's also equipped with high-grade lens that's made of rare earth material.

I wouldn't be surprised about that.

but I just showed you ample amount of proof from experts that says opposite of what you just said. It's not the megapixel.... it's the CCD sensor. DSLR has a very large CCD sensor especially Canon. That's why Canon is widely-used by professionals.

Yes, that's correct. I was basically talking about high quality and larger CCD sensors. I wouldn't bother with that with a cheap point and shoot cameras with small low quality grade lens.

oh btw - my colleague who sits in front of me at my office is a graphic designer. and also a photographer. and a filmmaker.

about details on computer screen for web publishing and cropping? He uses Canon EOS 50D (15 megapixel) and he never use more than 5-7 megapixel. 2 megapixel is good enough for me. You know what's the secret to digital photography? take your pix in RAW format. megapixel doesn't mean shit to him. As long as pix are in RAW format, that's all he needs. non-raw format is useless.

oh btw - my colleague who sits in front of me at my office is a graphic designer. and also a photographer. and a filmmaker.

about details on computer screen for web publishing and cropping? He uses Canon EOS 50D (15 megapixel) and he never use more than 5-7 megapixel. 2 megapixel is good enough for me. You know what's the secret to digital photography? take your pix in RAW format. megapixel doesn't mean shit to him. As long as pix are in RAW format, that's all he needs. non-raw format is useless.

I'm aware about the raw format. I don't like the fact that most digital cameras are taken in jpeg formats. I wish it would be taken in png or tiff format or similar. They hold the graphic detail quality longer after every saves or transfers. I think the Sony digital camera I used to have long time ago could save in TIFF format, that was neat.

I'm aware about the raw format. I don't like the fact that most digital cameras are taken in jpeg formats. I wish it would be taken in png or tiff format or similar. They hold the graphic detail quality longer after every saves or transfers. I think the Sony digital camera I used to have long time ago could save in TIFF format, that was neat.

hold longer after saves and transfers? a digital photo does not degrade like paper photo. I don't know where you heard about that. Maybe you misunderstood that it depends on what storage device you use. If you use CD/DVD... well yea it will degrade. If you use HDD, it'll last longer than you unless there's EMP strike. :lol:

hold longer after saves and transfers? a digital photo does not degrade like paper photo. I don't know where you heard about that. Maybe you misunderstood that it depends on what storage device you use. If you use CD/DVD... well yea it will degrade. If you use HDD, it'll last longer than you unless there's EMP strike. :lol:

Yes, for a fact depends on what format you use...digital photos on the storage media do degrade, they lose the quality. I've noticed some loss of quality of the jpeg images I have after years ago.

Yes, for a fact depends on what format you use...digital photos on the storage media do degrade, they lose the quality. I've noticed some loss of quality of the jpeg images I have after years ago.

O.o nope never heard of it. I doubt it's because of format of photos. It's your computer. but then.... feel free to dispute my statement with some source if you want to. or we can just agree to disagree :)

Back