Cameras

Lighthouse77

Reaction score
Mind if I ask, what kind of camera did you use? Please don't tell me it is SONY.

I have a sony, and I don't like it at all. Do you know a better camera that does well in night shots (it seem most of my photo shooting is at night because events occur at night). I can't afford SLR

What wrong with your problem to shoot at night scenes? blur? odd color like green/purple? Did you use tripod? How far distance? People or animal or firework or city or inside cave?

Your sony suppose have set up "Twilight" mode.
Sony-HX1-modes.jpg

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX1 Digital Camera Review - Sony Point and Shoot and Non-DSLR - DigitalCameraInfo.com

I own 3 DSLR(s), about 6 or 7 SLR(s) and about 20 different lenses. Long time, I always useful Canon F-1 until. Almost 15 years ago, I started to switch to Nikon. Right now, I use Nikon D1H, D1X and D2HS.

I worked as photo tech for over 30 years. Also, I am freelance photographer for rivals.com (NCAA) and local news (usually sport events).

My D1x and D1h are not great night scense because hot sensor cause red dots on my pictures.

Compact digital camera is great for everyone's hobby, good family memory, and fun shoot. Almost all compact digital camera have built-in flash. My DSLR does not have build-in flash. Yes, they have DSLR with built-in flash.

My job at NCAA's event. They do not allow flash on sideline or at games. That's why I prefer not accident flash at event.

My personal, I never like compact digital camera (like pocket digital camera) because too slow focus and delay made me very stress.

You need to understand most compact digital camera always delay.
Understanding Shutter Delay in Digital Cameras

It's great except around kids at night. But anyway, My main problem is blur and noise. I tried different setting and they all seem blurry. I agree about the tripod, and they do help some. I was kinda hoping a newer model would do better in night shots, but I was told that digital cameras never did well at night.

btw, I got a cheaper model of sony cybershot. It's a point and shoot type of camera. (my avatar was taken from a more expensive cybershot (borrowed) but it is still a point and shoot)

my husband want a fast shutter as well because he said everytime he try to take a quick picture (like a cool karate move from our son), it's too late and the pictures we wanted the most ALWAYS turn out blurry . the picture we don't care for always turn out good.

It's great except around kids at night. But anyway, My main problem is blur and noise. I tried different setting and they all seem blurry.

Why not use flash? If, you use flash then you will not need tripod unless no flash then you need tripod at low light or dark

#1 set up - Auto-ISO is off. Just set up like 200 ISO

low number ISO makes less noise and higher number ISO cause noise (purple and Green or ugliest grain)

#2 Try to set up manual focus (off auto-focus). It should be okay for night shoot.

Worth to visit Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

my husband want a fast shutter as well because he said everytime he try to take a quick picture (like a cool karate move from our son), it's too late and the pictures we wanted the most ALWAYS turn out blurry . the picture we don't care for always turn out good.

Almost all It's a point and shoot type of camera won't capture good picture at sport like your son in Karate.

That's why he needs DSLR.

I was on sideline photo at college games (regular season and bowls). NCAA do not allow anyone use tripod at games. Almost all photographers use monopod (one leg).

_DR76023.jpg

_DR76238.jpg

_DR76239.jpg

_DR76145.jpg

_DR76120.jpg

_DR76082.jpg

This is Ray Rice with his mom. His mom was good friend of mine. Current, Ray Rice plays for Baltimore Ravens
DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0763small.jpg

Sometime, I had nice talked with Eric Foster #56. Now, he plays for Indy Colts. See Jamaal Westerman #90. Now, he plays for Jets.
DSC_0681sm.jpg

NJ Gov attended opening night game.
DSC_0669-crop.jpg

This is Pat White (West Va). Now, he plays for Miami Dolphins
DSC_1032a.jpg

This is Pat McAfee (West Va). Now, he plays for Indy Colts.
DSC_1038.jpg

This is McCoy (Pitt). Now, he plays for Phila Eagles
DSC_1345-1.jpg

This is Noel Devine (West Va). Probably, he will jump in 2010 NFL draft.
You know his both parents are passed away by AIDS. He was 3 mo old his dad passed away and 11 years old his mom passed away. Deion Sanders (famous NFL and Cinn Reds) takes care Noel Devine.
DSC_1115a.jpg

Sometime, I got very poor pictures at game.

Drunk students pushed Mascot. Other student fought with mascot

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0807.jpg

DSC_0806.jpg

Sometime, I was too quick shoot - auto-focus was not 100 percent ready
Bad1.jpg

Many times, fans screams at me that they want me to shoot Erie Anderson.

Sometime, Auto-Focus lens picked other person walked fast. I got out of focus. This was young Erie Anderson.
re-shoot1.jpg

btw, I got a cheaper model of sony cybershot. It's a point and shoot type of camera. (my avatar was taken from a more expensive cybershot (borrowed) but it is still a point and shoot)

Simple.

Any digital camera with tiny lens are not great for dark, high speed move, and far away.

So you need find the digital camera with big len.

PowerShot SX120 IS Digital Camera

This is great and afford.

Simple.

Any digital camera with tiny lens are not great for dark, high speed move, and far away.

So you need find the digital camera with big len.

PowerShot SX120 IS Digital Camera

This is great and afford.

yeah, I agree. This is basically a photographer ethausitist level of digital cameras, I think. I want that one, too. I tried the Canon 9 megapixel with 10x zoom and was impressed with it, it's similar to the one you showed as that one I saw was a older model but exactly same body, lens, etc. I saw it for $150 at the pawn store few weeks ago.

Why not use flash? If, you use flash then you will not need tripod unless no flash then you need tripod at low light or dark

#1 set up - Auto-ISO is off. Just set up like 200 ISO

low number ISO makes less noise and higher number ISO cause noise (purple and Green or ugliest grain)

#2 Try to set up manual focus (off auto-focus). It should be okay for night shoot.

Worth to visit Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Almost all It's a point and shoot type of camera won't capture good picture at sport like your son in Karate.

That's why he needs DSLR.

I was on sideline photo at college games (regular season and bowls). NCAA do not allow anyone use tripod at games. Almost all photographers use monopod (one leg).

This is Noel Devine (West Va). Probably, he will jump in 2010 NFL draft.
You know his both parents are passed away by AIDS. He was 3 mo old his dad passed away and 11 years old his mom passed away. Deion Sanders (famous NFL and Cinn Reds) takes care Noel Devine.
DSC_1115a.jpg

Sometime, I got very poor pictures at game.

Drunk students pushed Mascot. Other student fought with mascot

Many times, fans screams at me that they want me to shoot Erie Anderson.

Sometime, Auto-Focus lens picked other person walked fast. I got out of focus. This was young Erie Anderson.
re-shoot1.jpg

Nice.

I own EOS 20D, 50mm f/2.8, and EF 28-135mm IS USM. I plan to buy EOS 5d mark ii in future when I have money.

yeah, I agree. This is basically a photographer ethausitist level of digital cameras, I think. I want that one, too. I tried the Canon 9 megapixel with 10x zoom and was impressed with it, it's similar to the one you showed as that one I saw was a older model but exactly same body, lens, etc. I saw it for $150 at the pawn store few weeks ago.

Nice, My EOS 20D is six years old and it still work great and better than mostly small digital camera for pictures. I bought used and discount from my old job. It was cost around $800. Brand new EOS 20D without discount cost around $1300 that time in 2004.

Nice, My EOS 20D is six years old and it still work great and better than mostly small digital camera for pictures. I bought used and discount from my old job. It was cost around $800. Brand new EOS 20D without discount cost around $1300 that time in 2004.

Is that a DSLR camera? :)

I bought all used DSLR from other forums. I still happy with 2.7 and 4.2 megapixels because I can shoot many pictures at sport event without worry about full memory.

Few times, I bought used lenses at craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

Most NCAA photographers use lower megapixels which is great for newspaper or magazine or internet. They never make biggest picture on the wall unless they use fractal program to make largest picture like wrap on the bus.

Did you know that film is equalivent to around 20 megapixels? We need more detail in photos with higher megapixels. :) I think nature photographers need higher megapixel cameras due to framed pictures for wall, desktop pictures, all that stuff.

Those are great pictures.

about the flash, I agree. I always hated flash though. They make our son's skin bleached out and his eyes red.

We are definitely going to try to save up some money for SLR but it will take a long time. I always loved taking pictures.

Those are great pictures.

about the flash, I agree. I always hated flash though. They make our son's skin bleached out and his eyes red.

We are definitely going to try to save up some money for SLR but it will take a long time. I always loved taking pictures.

You should try on Canon with flash and all pictures are perfect. Hard to get red eyes and white skin.

It's all depends what brand of digital camera. Sony is awful for digital camera but Sony is very good for video camera.

No matter what kind of brand of digital camera.
They have common problem with red eye or too bright skin from camera with built-in flash.

#1 - you need software (like Photoshop Element, other cheap software) which offer remove red eye and adjust color skin.

#2 - flash off from camera (cable, bracket and 2nd flash) - see below.

They sell flash for point & shoot digital camera with hot shoe. So, you can add flash like this sample picture

sony_01.jpg

I have Nikon SC-17 cable

YONGNUO-Remote-Cord--SC-28B.gif

Big improve - reduce number of red-eye.
That's why most wedding photographers use like this one.

sf350_n.jpg

#3 - you need practice with flash to find right way.

I did practice with animal stuff. Tried to avoid bright skin tone.
DSC_0027.jpg

Problem, most small digital camera do not have hot shoe.

That's very true. Many pocket & thin digital cameras do not have hot shoe.

Sometime, I love to have cheap & old Canon G3 or Nikon Coolpix P5000. Both camera have hot shoe.
My personal, I do not need higher megapixels or fancy or expensive. Just buy cheap and use it for fun then re-sell (not much lost $$$ or little extra profit).

Looks cumbersome with a camera with all that extensions and flash module...

No matter what kind of brand of digital camera.
They have common problem with red eye or too bright skin from camera with built-in flash.

#1 - you need software (like Photoshop Element, other cheap software) which offer remove red eye and adjust color skin.

#2 - flash off from camera (cable, bracket and 2nd flash) - see below.

They sell flash for point & shoot digital camera with hot shoe. So, you can add flash like this sample picture

I have Nikon SC-17 cable

Big improve - reduce number of red-eye.
That's why most wedding photographers use like this one.

#3 - you need practice with flash to find right way.

I did practice with animal stuff. Tried to avoid bright skin tone.
DSC_0027.jpg

damn darkage..... you bought all these expensive camera equipment and you practiced it on.... $5 teddy bear? that's just criminal, man....

If I were you - I think you know what I will practice it on..... :naughty:

Back