California Earthquake

saw it on the news , 5.2 is pretty big, i felt a 6.2 a couple months ago and a 6.6 last year shit that was scary....hell even a 5.2 would unnerve me
and when you get lots of after shocks (as I did) i never feel safe...even right now seem long enough calm to 'forget it' but deep in back of my head, when i have a quite hot drink or something id say something to myself to handle that hot cup just in case....
not fun
and in NZ we been getting quite a bit more activity than over previous year, fracking?? i must wonder....

The last earthquake IL got was a few years back-- in 2008, I believe. Haven't had one since.

Here in the border we havent felt anything. I sont mind earthquakes but well its better if they dont come at all

saw it on the news , 5.2 is pretty big, i felt a 6.2 a couple months ago and a 6.6 last year shit that was scary....hell even a 5.2 would unnerve me
and when you get lots of after shocks (as I did) i never feel safe...even right now seem long enough calm to 'forget it' but deep in back of my head, when i have a quite hot drink or something id say something to myself to handle that hot cup just in case....
not fun
and in NZ we been getting quite a bit more activity than over previous year, fracking?? i must wonder....

Seriously? It's not big, I mean, I went through many earthquakes and 5.1 is pretty small. The biggest I have felt was 7.3 Landers earthquake - it shook my house pretty hard. Landers is about 2 hours from here and Brea is about 20 minutes from here.

not fun

I remember , ChristChurch, NZ had some pretty size shakers. Be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in the border we havent felt anything. I sont mind earthquakes but well its better if they dont come at all

They have to come eventually. Better the pressure is released with three little ones than one big huge one!

There was one here a year ago, I felt it and wasn't sure what it was, it felt like sitting in a car stopped at the side of the road when a tractor trailer goes past and the car rocks in the slipstream.

The biggest earthquake in the USA did not hit California or even Alaska. People in the mid west got hit hard. Hearing people say they could never live in CA because they are afraid of earthquakes does not make sense. Mother Nature has no boundries. Our buildings, bridges, etc are built with tough earthquake codes, making them able to withstand quite a hit. I've lived here my whole life and only went through two really bad quakes. Living in CA is so worth the tiny risk of having a earthquake.

The biggest earthquake in the USA did not hit California or even Alaska. People in the mid west got hit hard. Hearing people say they could never live in CA because they are afraid of earthquakes does not make sense. Mother Nature has no boundries. Our buildings, bridges, etc are built with tough earthquake codes, making them able to withstand quite a hit. I've lived here my whole life and only went through two really bad quakes. Living in CA is so worth the tiny risk of having a earthquake.

Correct. The Midwest got hit with one that was a 9+, but that was many years ago.

I've been thru tornadoes and hurricanes, but never earthquakes....ever since I saw a movie about earthquakes a long time ago, it scares me to death.....

Makes me wonder about Mt. Redoubt, if it ever erupted, full blown?

Feel sure Calif. is up for some huge waves....and the scariest disaster on my list are tsunami's.

Glad ur safe....

The big one due soon rr I get out asap...when my son and hubby in san fran hubby in hotel son downstairs a earthquake reg 4 happen my hubby sent flying and son never felt a thing strange.
The 'old faithful' in yellow stone park has started doing odd things causing worry

I saw this on the news and thought poor California , it can't get a break ,
droughts , forests fire and now another earthquake. Did you house get any damages, I hope not. I remember the earthquake we had in Berkeley in the 70's , it made my wooden floor ripple and a small table started to walk across the floor. My daughter was at school and that was the worst part of it not being with her. I heard that you could be getting more earthquakes this week , so be safe. We had them in my state , Ma too but not as strong as in Ca.

Just keep those quakes quiet this October, when I come to visit. :wave:
My worry-wart sister will probably worry about my trip from now till I get home now that they're talking about there being a 99% chance of a BIG one - within the next 30 years. :roll:

VIDEO: The Great Alaska Earthquake | Alaska Dispatch

Here is a video of the '64 Earthquake. It is 11 minutes long with closed captions. It is as good a short video as I have seen describing and explaining and showing what nature can do on a bad day.

If you want to see a really cool online earthquake map www.iris.edu is very good. You can see how over there at Fukushima they are still having a whole lotta shakin' going on. It is a world map so you can see what is happening everywhere.

I was just a boy when the '64 earthquake hit up here. It was the second strongest earthquake ever recorded in the world. It was really wild being in that thing, our house had a lot of damage. Fortunately where we were was not a tsunami. Lots of devastation here and on the West Coast. Crescent City, Ca. really got clobbered too.

I remember we were all kind of in shock. So much damage. We found the roast beef in a corner in the living room. The mashed potatoes and peas were still in the kitchen on the floor there. We made a meal of it as darkness came and the tremors were still happening. My parents booze supply was destroyed the smell of it was real strong over that part of the neighborhood. Everything glass was broken. We all were bleeding from cutting ourselves picking up broken glass.

The population of the state was even smaller then. I doubt much more than a couple hundred thousand. Every one knew someone who was killed in it. The aftershocks kept us all real nervous for a while. Eventually it was all cleaned up and a bigger event was shaking us all up -- Vietnam.

I saw this on the news and thought poor California , it can't get a break ,
droughts , forests fire and now another earthquake. Did you house get any damages, I hope not. I remember the earthquake we had in Berkeley in the 70's , it made my wooden floor ripple and a small table started to walk across the floor. My daughter was at school and that was the worst part of it not being with her. I heard that you could be getting more earthquakes this week , so be safe. We had them in my state , Ma too but not as strong as in Ca.

Hey WDYS....Most of California is doing just fine. National news seriously over exagerates everything. When I was watching National news for the East Coast it was like you were all doomed and going to freeze to death. They go to the absolute coldest part of the USA and report from there.

My area in CA has not started any water rationing yet. Everyone is cutting back but that is pretty common since we don't get rain in the summer time. We are actually gettiing rain today.

Earthquakes are pretty frightening, but in reality hurricanes and tornados kill more people in the USA. The news has been saying that these "smaller" quakes are good because they remind people to be prepared. After being in two houses that were a direct hit, I feel pretty darn safe living in CA.

Seriously? It's not big, I mean, I went through many earthquakes and 5.1 is pretty small. The biggest I have felt was 7.3 Landers earthquake - it shook my house pretty hard. Landers is about 2 hours from here and Brea is about 20 minutes from here.

it depends on the depth of quake origin....and soil/plate composite...

you should have read i was there on a 6.6 not far from a 7.3, and in Tokyo they had a 9 !!!!
here's a video. or two ...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1hgxPfF92U]Tokyo earthquake 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp6hy5F3fC0]RAW FOOTAGE EARTHQUAKE 9.0 JAPAN -- (TOKYO perspective) - YouTube[/ame]

and watch the building SWAYS!!.....
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjUJnnfzOS4]Earthquake 9.0 - Japan March 11 2011 - Tokyo Skyscrapers Swaying - YouTube[/ame]

Back