Bullies in school -- outlaw them or send them to jail.

pek1

Reaction score
Parents sue son’s bully - TODAY: People - MSNBC.com

Parents sue son’s bully, threaten school district
Boy, 16, says his tormentors first targeted him in elementary school

Bullied boy battles back
March 26: Billy Wolfe discusses why he’s the victim of so many attacks and how his family is taking action.
Today show

updated 8:49 a.m. CT, Wed., March. 26, 2008
They started picking on Billy Wolfe in elementary school. In middle school, the assault of vicious words was joined by fists. In high school, it's the same.

When bullies in one Arkansas community feel the need to beat somebody up, they look for Billy Wolfe.

“I’m not completely sure,” the 16-year-old boy said on Wednesday on TODAY when asked why his life has been one of black eyes, cuts and bruises. With his mom, Penney Wolfe, at his side, the Fayetteville, Ark., student watched as videos played. One shows a bully jumping him on the school bus and slamming his head against the window. Another, taken by a bully’s accomplice, shows a kid getting out of a car at Billy’s bus stop, walking purposefully up to him and slugging him in the face.

“They get away with it, so they think they can just keep doing it,” Billy told TODAY co-host Matt Lauer. “I don’t really know what started it. Maybe ’cause I moved here in elementary school and it followed me all the way to high school.”

His mother echoes his words.

“I honestly don’t know,” she said. “From the first assault when the kids didn’t get in trouble, they thought it was OK. They thought, ‘He’s a good target, he’s an easy target, and it’s OK to hit him because we’re not going to get in trouble.’ ”

In addition to physical assaults, there has been cyber bullying that has ranged from an Internet posting that read “Everyone hates Billy Wolfe” to another accusing him of being gay.

His parents have pursued the normal avenues of redress, from talking to the parents of Billy’s tormentors to appealing to school officials. As the assaults have continued, they’ve finally resorted to hiring an attorney and suing at least one of the bullies. They’ve also gone public, telling Billy’s story to the New York Times, which played it on the front page of the newspaper.

Fair treatment?
Fayetteville school officials, citing privacy laws, say they can’t comment on the Wolfes’ allegations. Officials declined to appear on camera, telling TODAY that they have a no-tolerance policy toward bullying. “Unfortunately, from time to time these incidents will occur,” officials said in a statement, but when they do, the district aims for “fair treatment of all concerned.”

If only that were so, said the family’s attorney, Westbrook Doss Jr., there would be no need for a lawsuit against one bully and the possibility of more suits against other bullies as well as against the school district. The family does not dispute that disciplinary action may have been taken against some of the kids involved in tormenting their son, but, they say, no one has ever been charged with assault despite the video evidence.

“I don’t think that’s happening in Billy’s case,” Doss said. “There may be other cases where they’ve responded appropriately. What we’re asking for is appropriate response.”

In fact, in the New York Times article, the Wolfes said that they were told after one attack that perhaps their son brought it on himself.

“These kids don’t get in trouble,” Penney Wolfe said. “They don’t have to stand accountable to the law for assaulting him.”

The family refuses to move to another school district. They want their son to learn to fight for his rights and they are helping him to do that. But his grades have suffered and there are many days when he begs to be allowed to stay home and not go to school.

Billy, who likes to play the guitar, is not without friends. “They don’t pick on me when my friends are around, because I hang out with some big people, and they don’t mess with them,” he said. “They get me while I’m alone, like waiting for the bus with my sister.”

Or, his mother added, like the time he was at his desk in shop class and another student blindsided him with an unprovoked punch to the jaw that tore open the inside of his cheek.

Lauer asked Billy if telling his story to the Times and TODAY won’t make him even more of a target.

“I kind of already know, because my friends have told me that people aren’t happy with me at school, but what can you do?” he said with a shrug of resignation. “If they’re going to be unhappy, they’re going to be unhappy.”

Wow, can you imagine making yourself more of a target by bullies by going to the national news media and telling one's story? Too bad Billy didn't have pictures of those bullies to show on television so the tables can be reversed and these families can be shamed.

I was bullied in elementary school by only one boy. There was a time in one grade that he got payback, which is something I said about him (which was true, btw) in the lockerroom to another friend. I never had a problem with him after that.

In junior high, only one grade, I was called "gay boy" by a girl and her brother and the administration refused to anything about it. My parents didn't do a thing, either, except take me out of the school district for two years.

In high school, three guys that stuck together better than sticky condoms harassed me, but it was over something little and no one else knew about it.

When I drove school bus, I was told by a parent that his son (in a private school) was being called, "fat boy" on my bus. I reprimanded the kids when I heard it and thought it was settled . . . until the day his dad (a police detective) came after me, following me on route. This boy only rode once or twice by the end of the school year after that, but I told him to tell his dad there were no hard feelings.

I am angry about this story, but also know that I am not alone in "bully country." Deaf people are bullied all the time :roll: and people think it's funny. I'm sure these families that are being sued by this young man aren't laughing now, nor will they in a courtroom.

Bullying is one thing. Assaulting, complete with bruises, broken jaws, verbal assaults is quite another. I wouldn't recommend retaliation, but, I do recommend having a cell phone and dialing 911 and not answering and letting the 911 dispatcher hear the commotion. After a minute of this (and the dispatcher cannot hang up when the line is live), get on the phone, telling the dispatcher the location and request immediate police assistance.

Last night I started reading Jodee Blanco's book "Please Stop Laughing at Me" about her experiences being bullied and how it affected her the rest of her life. I remember those days myself, I was bullied too (not as bad as her, she was physically bullied a lot) and I know it still effects me. The sad thing is most kids don't know they're doing it. If you ask them 20 years later "do you know how much you hurt me" they have no idea they did anything wrong. American culture encourages bullying by saying "kids will be kids" and people don't do enough to stop it.

After some thought, I believe Pete's suggestion to involve outside authorities has considerable merit.

Back in the day, vocal bullies could be dealt with by ridicule. They’re not usually clever in the first place, or they wouldn’t need to feel superior by making others seem inferior. Turning their foolish comments right back in their faces was fun. I got a few twisted arms and black eyes, but they were worth the price, as bullies are almost always cowards and tend to go where the picking is easier.

The same held true with the physical bullies. No matter how much older and bigger, my granddad advised fighting it out whenever I was hit. Then when I got home, my big brother and two younger uncles went looking for the bully or bullies, often their families they hid behind, too. The bullies usually found other kids to pick on.

Times have changed. In the femininization of our schools, if you talk back or heavens-to-Betsy dare to fight back even once, you’re just as guilty as the serial bully. Often more so, because “You should know better, and he/she has been abused at home/is under medication.”

So I like the new high tech method Pete suggests. If some bully or bullette throws a punch, take pictures with your cell phone while calling 9-1-1.

A few trips through the courts and the playground and hall monitors, bus drivers, and their supervisors who have to testify to looking the other way will stop this crap before it gets out of hand.

I have been bullied during high school and of course I got her into trouble no matter how she is much tried. She didnt like that. Well too bad for her.

So now I have overcome my expierence and if anyone try to hurt me then I would stand up.

Yes it is sad to see something like this happen all over.

There is one rule that many schools follow...

Both the bully and the victim have to be penalized... such as suspension.

When I was in junior high school, I was bullied on many times. I went to the principal and told him that I was bullied on. He told me that if I wanted to press charges, I would have to allow myself to be suspended as well.

My brother was in the cafeteria eating lunch with his friends. One guy approached him from behind, punched him in the head, threw him on the floor and beat on him. The consequence? The principal suspended both my brother and that bully.

Yes, I think it's stupid. With security cameras being installed nowadays, they should use those to take action towards these students. When a student bullies and isn't stopped, it is very likely that he will grow up into a troublemaker.

What happened to the guy who bullied me? He dropped out of school, broke into houses, stole cars, and almost led his brother to do the same. He even got another guy in trouble and that guy ended up going to jail while he didn't go to jail. Where is he today? I dunno.

After some thought, I believe Pete's suggestion to involve outside authorities has considerable merit.

Back in the day, vocal bullies could be dealt with by ridicule. They’re not usually clever in the first place, or they wouldn’t need to feel superior by making others seem inferior. Turning their foolish comments right back in their faces was fun. I got a few twisted arms and black eyes, but they were worth the price, as bullies are almost always cowards and tend to go where the picking is easier.

The same held true with the physical bullies. No matter how much older and bigger, my granddad advised fighting it out whenever I was hit. Then when I got home, my big brother and two younger uncles went looking for the bully or bullies, often their families they hid behind, too. The bullies usually found other kids to pick on.

Times have changed. In the femininization of our schools, if you talk back or heavens-to-Betsy dare to fight back even once, you’re just as guilty as the serial bully. Often more so, because “You should know better, and he/she has been abused at home/is under medication.”

So I like the new high tech method Pete suggests. If some bully or bullette throws a punch, take pictures with your cell phone while calling 9-1-1.

A few trips through the courts and the playground and hall monitors, bus drivers, and their supervisors who have to testify to looking the other way will stop this crap before it gets out of hand.

Couldn't agree with you more, Chase. These bullies need a serious wake up call. I find the policy of punishing the victim equally to be absurd. It does nothing more than revictimize, and sends a very negative message regarding self worth to those forced to endure the maltreatment by the bullies.

What happened to the guy who bullied me? He dropped out of school, broke into houses, stole cars, and almost led his brother to do the same. He even got another guy in trouble and that guy ended up going to jail while he didn't go to jail. Where is he today? I dunno.
I had one bully like that in elementary school. Unfortunately his name is very common so it is hard to find information about him, but I did hear that he has been in and out of jail himself. I also heard he killed someone but I don't know for sure.

I have been bullied by words when I was 7th grade and quit within month and half. I went back for 8th grade, because there wasn't any deaf mainstream program set up in public schools at where I live. I tried hard to ignore those who bullied me with their words, BUT I survived my 8th grade year. I have been called "Buffalo Girl" because I was built like a Buffalo and has the Shoulder to be able to join a Football Team. I didn't like that one bit, then I got the opportunity to Kick the living SH*T Out of them. They know they wouldn't want to fight me, because I'd FLAT THEIR AZZ like a PENNY, because I was Big and Very Solid. I remember some of them would be picking on me and just bothering my (Bat wings) you know have flap under their biceps, they bother that all the times and I would get really mad and just KNOCK them to the ground with just one hit on the back with my hand, I mean I HIT REALLY HARD and would leave a red hand print mark on their back and I find it's HILARIOUS. So lesson was taught is Never Pick on me again. THEY LEARNED IT.

I was never bullied in pre-school, elemetary school and high school, but except for middle school is the only time I was bullied by ignorant brats.

I had one bully like that in elementary school. Unfortunately his name is very common so it is hard to find information about him, but I did hear that he has been in and out of jail himself. I also heard he killed someone but I don't know for sure.

Joseph Mesa?

I was bullied a few times in school- if it was ever even slightly physical, my parents had taught me not to go to a teacher, but to instantly dial the police. It takes exactly one incident for that person to stop bullying you- and if I ever meet a kid being bullied, I'd tell them to do the same thing.

I completely don't understand the expectation of going to a teacher if someone phsyically harms you in any way- if that SAME person had done it on the street, you'd probably call the police, but because it's at school they deserve a detention? No thanks.

My sister told me that my former bully was sitting alone at the table and no one talk to her during 10 yrs class union. I laughed so hard and wish I was there and laugh at her face. I dont care for her at all. But heard she got married and had kid. My sister also told me that she was wearing a tight dress. I'm like oh really what is she, a whore!!!

many million bully in USA and countries need learn lesson DO and DONT harassment on classmates everyday if have bruise all the times they will tell teachers or prinicpal if stubborn! they will kick out till fall if more they will kick out they dont come again!

My sister told me that my former bully was sitting alone at the table and no one talk to her during 10 yrs class union. I laughed so hard and wish I was there and laugh at her face. I dont care for her at all. But heard she got married and had kid. My sister also told me that she was wearing a tight dress. I'm like oh really what is she, a whore!!!

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to see your former bully at your reunion. Sometimes talking things out later can resolve a lot of anger and hurt feelings.

BUT .. wow. I guess if a woman wears a tight dress that makes her a whore. :(

If I were the victims mom - I would pull him out of the district altogether and filed charges with the police as soon as it got violent the first time. there is no reason why the parents have just let it get this far. When that first punch is thrown and makes contact it becomes assault and punishable by jail time.

I too was bullied physically and emotionally. I admit it has left a scar. It has made me wary of certain people. I was bullied from day 1 almost. I was always the class loser and my self worth isnt where it should be likely.

The kids that bullied me? One dropped out of school, one is now serving a 10 year prison sentence for meth, one has served jail time and for obvious reasons cant get a decent paying job. And the final one - he went into the Army but later got a dishonorable discharge.

Im glad none of my former bullies live around here. Now that Ive gotten out of high school Ive been able to blossom a bit and find myself. Now my other goal? Finish college and prove em all wrong!

It's too bad you didn't get a chance to see your former bully at your reunion. Sometimes talking things out later can resolve a lot of anger and hurt feelings.

BUT .. wow. I guess if a woman wears a tight dress that makes her a whore. :(
How does wearing a tight dress make you a whore?

What's your definition of "tight dress"?

Back