Building Confidence - Initiating small talk

HoH_Profound

Reaction score
What ways do you find helpful to help you speak if you find communication a barrier in places?

Normally before I speak I will had thought what I was going to say prepared in my head; it's comfortable sometimes doing this and helps.

I've been giving myself exercises and a goal for myself to initiative small talk with a person or more a day to help with my confidence to verbally communicate with others.

I found my best opportunities is at the counter in a shop and to say ' Has it been a busy day?', or depending on the time of the day 'Have you nearly finished for the day?'.

I found it has been an useful way to improve my confidence speaking even if it may only be a sentence alone. You don't even have to think too much, refreshingly it can come out naturally.

To add to the end of this exercise I will always try to finish with 'Hope you have a nice day. '

I think that what you write is a good exercise for everyone. I know you're opening a discussion within the context of this forum but I think it can apply to everyone. A simple greeting or kind and thoughtful word goes a long way. Often, I'm so much in my own thoughts or worries, I forget to look around me and wonder how others might be experiencing their day. And yes, often a friendly word to someone is a wonderful way of breaking down our own and others barriers. Thank you for the reminder.

I go blunt point at ears and say I’m deaf then look in there eyes when they keep talking and say sorry I’m deaf I am use my hands pointing at ears and mouth?

Disability shouldn't be a hindrance to communication. Giving them an idea of your condition may not be easy but there are ways like gestures and do it in written form

I work with the public a lot. There are some subjects that are always considered polite small talk when interacting with people you don't know. The weather, how their day was, if it's raining or snowing it's often part of small talk to ask how the roads are. If the conversation is becoming more involved what kind of work do they do. Are they local?

If you're feeling super adventurous you can ask what color underwear they have on...you know...normal stuff.

I think reframing helps tremendously. I train myself with the mindset of "As a Deaf/etc person, I am pretty darn badass and I can do things that hearing people can't do."

And if you take the time to look at the gifts of Deaf people, they are BADASSSSSS. For one thing, did you know the the CIA has used Deaf talents for international espionage?

Never thought about that way , I drive a Tow truck in vancover Canada probably only one in Canada that’s bad ass
And not only that Yesterday I smiled start a chat at the grocery store check out felt good

Never thought about that way , I drive a Tow truck in vancover Canada probably only one in Canada that’s bad ass
And not only that Yesterday I smiled start a chat at the grocery store check out felt good

That's nice. You're initiating the conversation

Back