BTE vs Babyworn ?

Vivie

Reaction score
Hello all!

At my operation , I chose the Freedom BTE ( chocolate color ) , but I havent thought how heavy it would be!!:shock:

After three months post activation , and I feel sometimes very sore from wearing it , not from slipping ( I solved it with the long earhook ) but from the weight and my ear hurts a lot! I thought if I buy the babyworn and put the battery pack somewhere on my clothes..( probably at my bra , I'm well endowed :eek3: ) Sometimes I hang the BTE on my glasses but it's not an permanent solution...and I'm afraid of losing it..It's a heavy thing!

So I'm torn between earmold and babyworn...

With the earmold I am not sure if I will be relieved with the weight..Did you felt relieved? And I'm afraid of ear infections. What's your opinion?

With the babyworn I'd be more flexible too and I could change batteries discreetly and I could be changing programs without removing the entire ensemble . But it costs 200 euros! :eek3:

The bodyworn is faaaar more expensive ( 1200 euros ) ..

So what solution would you choose? If I chose the babyworn I should change my map? Parents that have the babyworn is really reliable and secure ? I'm still thinking on it..

Haven't asked the audie about it..I want something less weighty..

Or are there other solutions more cheap and reliable ? The only disclination towards babyworn is the price.

My cons about earmold are that I am not sure it will remove the weight,nor I want the 'plugged' up feeling and the ear infections..I still battle with a stubborn one for the last 2 years on and off ( fortunately the operation was at off period of the infection , and the infection is a direct result of hay fever allergies that knock me directly at nose throat and ears..) and I still feel my ear hasn't recovered completely from post op..hurts too easily ..

Drew's Dad and other parents that use the babyworn , are any changes at all except the appearance map - wise? I'm still thinking on it..

and I'm awaiting eagerly any piece of advice you're willing to disclose..

Hi,

If I were in your shoes I would work with my audi to adjust the ear hook the best you can first. The ear hook can also be reformed to a point by soaking it in hot water. Where is it getting sore? The bodyworn version you have to deal with cables running down on your neck. With the babyworn you can add a cable 10" which is another option and there is a Snugfit you could possibly investigate to see if that by any chance would help you. I use a skeleton ear mold to hold my implant in place not so much to keep weight off. I do not have to worry about ear infections using the skeleton ear mold. Map wise you do not have to make any changes since you are using the same processor on the ear and you are just changing controller options.

Thank you john57!

Problem is that all my ear is sore from the weight..Add the CI , and also heavy and thick glasses that I recently acquired ( few months before operation really..)

I have thought of the snugfit option only at first..but I discounted it at first b/c I did not think it'd remove the weight.

the bad thing about the operation is that my ear is slow to heal..even bruises on me last a few weeks , imagine the scar..the swelling on my head hasn't gone completely away..

My audie is one of these guys that shuttle you in and out of the door as he's the only CI audie for half the country! So there is not any time to voice any concerns..I'm trying to solve it myself..

Maybe try contacts so that you don't have to have the glasses on or look for a lighter frame of glasses, i'm sure switching the glasses or getting contacts would be cheaper then getting a new processor first lol

Hi Vivie,

As having had processor put on so soon after the operation might be the factor of your soreness. I say it is heavy processor, i have big ears and it helps a bit. Do you have small ears?

May be the baby worn is ideal for the time being. I have found a link which u can easily buy online. You'll probably need longer cable if the processor is going in the bra! and i think it's cheaper.

CI shop (i found it on Cloggy's Blog (thanks Cloggy!)

Vivie - Baby worn on the CI Shop that Overthepond gave you is pretty decent price. That will take the weight off the batteries. As far as I know, You do not need to change the map as long as the mircophones aren't blocked. It won't be as discreet.

The way I see it is you got activated very shortly after your surgery, so having the BTE sitting on your scar is not allowing it to heal.

Our processors is 22g. :) I weighted it a while ago.
IF you have another processor, you can call Cochlear and find out about the "trade" in program, and see if you can trade in the larger BTE battery compartment for the mini bte compartment. The actual processor with the mappings, you don't need to trade it in. I don't know if it will work though.

Another choice you can do is get double stick tape and put the bte just slightly higher than your ear, not that much, but it will put the weight on your head a little bit more than your ear itself. It may be annoying to use, but it's one cheap way to get some of the weight off.

I've gotten used to it that sometimes I feel like it's NOT there!

Maybe try contacts so that you don't have to have the glasses on or look for a lighter frame of glasses, i'm sure switching the glasses or getting contacts would be cheaper then getting a new processor first lol

I have tried contacts a few years ago just for cosmetic reason and I had numerous dates to the eye doctor for that..it was surmised that my eyes were not fit for contacts and I couldn't bear them..

About a lighter frame , I 've thought of that , but it's a maybe option..unfortunately Greece is the 'gold cow' of Europe..everything is a lot higher...so new glasses are pricey

Hi Vivie,

As having had processor put on so soon after the operation might be the factor of your soreness. I say it is heavy processor, i have big ears and it helps a bit. Do you have small ears?

May be the baby worn is ideal for the time being. I have found a link which u can easily buy online. You'll probably need longer cable if the processor is going in the bra! and i think it's cheaper.

CI shop (i found it on Cloggy's Blog (thanks Cloggy!)
I already knew of the CI shop and the prices I mentioned were from there .. Same source..but thanks for helping me anyway! :D Greece prices are DISGUSTING!

Yes I have a bit small ears and it's hard sometimes to keep it on !

Vivie - Baby worn on the CI Shop that Overthepond gave you is pretty decent price. That will take the weight off the batteries. As far as I know, You do not need to change the map as long as the mircophones aren't blocked. It won't be as discreet.

The way I see it is you got activated very shortly after your surgery, so having the BTE sitting on your scar is not allowing it to heal.

Our processors is 22g. :) I weighted it a while ago.
IF you have another processor, you can call Cochlear and find out about the "trade" in program, and see if you can trade in the larger BTE battery compartment for the mini bte compartment. The actual processor with the mappings, you don't need to trade it in. I don't know if it will work though.

Another choice you can do is get double stick tape and put the bte just slightly higher than your ear, not that much, but it will put the weight on your head a little bit more than your ear itself. It may be annoying to use, but it's one cheap way to get some of the weight off.

I've gotten used to it that sometimes I feel like it's NOT there!

Really ? Pretty heavy for an proccessor! I wonder how much an HA weighs!!

Unfortunately , here we do not have backup proccessors or any plan..remember chatting of it a while back? and after finding out how generous Cochlear is , I got pretty annoyed..and I can't trade off anything :(

About double stick tape I actually am afraid of using it , seeing that I develope allergies pretty easily and I'm not really sure if there is hypo allergic double stick tape that you can put it on your head!!

I'm still researching my options..though I rule out the tape ! I can't imagine pulling my hair too..( have pretty thick mop of hair..)

Oh poop.

I will ask my centre how much they are here. There's no price list here. I suspect probably same as CI shop.

ummm.... i will search my pea brain for any ideas...

is that comfort to wear your ci with heavier bte? I am curious why CI with BTE is heavier than HA?

Hi Pinky, glad you are still about. Hope you are ok.

To your post, The CI BTE carries 3 batteries and is slightly bigger than normal HA. Vivie (3 months) and i (7 weeks) had recently been implanted our ears are in stage of where the wound is still healing (mine itches like hell!), the ear need to get used to different weight/shape of the processor.

I have just weighted my processor it's 29g! 11g of it just the batteries in it's compartment!

I had got used to it quickly because i started wearing them 5 weeks after my op whereas Vivie started wearing it only few days after her op and it didn't give her wound chance to heal and strenghten properly.

hope this helps.

Thank you john57!

My audie is one of these guys that shuttle you in and out of the door as he's the only CI audie for half the country! So there is not any time to voice any concerns..I'm trying to solve it myself..

Vivie,
I am sorry that you stuck with a audie that shuttle you in and out of the door. I have worked with many audiologists in my life including fourteen audiologists way back at NTID when I was working in the hearing aid shop at almost daily basics. I also wear glasses and one trick is to use plastic lens instead of glass if you have not done so to help reduce the total weight that is on the ear and the nose as well. Sounds like you ear is still healing and you may find in time that your ear can handle more weight. My ears has been used to the weight of hearing aids for over four decades which helps me to resolve issues. My understanding if you use the babyworn the processor with the microphone will still be sitting on the ear and the controller with the batteries which accounts about two thirds of the total weight is elsewhere.
The maps do not have to be changed since you are still using the same processor when it is a babyworn, bodyworn or the BTE version, they all use the same processor and head piece.

John

Hi Pinky, glad you are still about. Hope you are ok.

To your post, The CI BTE carries 3 batteries and is slightly bigger than normal HA. Vivie (3 months) and i (7 weeks) had recently been implanted our ears are in stage of where the wound is still healing (mine itches like hell!), the ear need to get used to different weight/shape of the processor.

I have just weighted my processor it's 29g! 11g of it just the batteries in it's compartment!

I had got used to it quickly because i started wearing them 5 weeks after my op whereas Vivie started wearing it only few days after her op and it didn't give her wound chance to heal and strenghten properly.

hope this helps.

Wow! It's so heavier. I don't want to hurt my ear. I went to supermarket today. I saw Hispanic boy is wearing CI with bte and earmold. I will see my third cousin with 2 CI tomorrow when I go to Hog Roast Party at my cousin's house. I will figure it out what it feel like. :)

Wow! It's so heavier. I don't want to hurt my ear. I went to supermarket today. I saw Hispanic boy is wearing CI with bte and earmold. I will see my third cousin with 2 CI tomorrow when I go to Hog Roast Party at my cousin's house. I will figure it out what it feel like. :)

Honestly, you do get used to it fairly quickly. When I wore my hearing aids, it felt light. Then I tried on my friend's bte without the coil. It felt heavy right away. That was one of my concerns...however after a week, I got used to the weight, and in fact, sometimes I forget that I have it ON my ear if I turned off the CI to rest for a moment.

For smaller children, they do get used to it, I had JUMBO hearing aids when I was young. But, it probably would be better if they had babyworn stuff though.
For babies - most likely they wear body worn, or baby worn...it's too heavy for their ears though.

I weighted mine a while ago and made a post about it on my blog.

Just Another Cyborg: It's all in the Numbers

If you click on this link, yes I weighted every single little thing. LOL!!!

Lol! I had seen your blog earlier...And I suspected I played a little part..

I was thinking..at first I felt it a bit weighty then I got used to it..wasn't feeling it at all..then suddenly a couple of days ago I feel it again really weighty..all of the sudden..( the scar was most of the time a bit irritated , but at these times I pulled on the EarGear..)

And today I woke up and my wisdom tooth hurts!! a LOT ! coincidence? I don't know..whole jawline , side of face, can't talk properly , can't eat properly..it's too much of an coincidence..anyone has faced that?did it affect CI in any way ?

At least I hope it's the fault of the stupid tooth , so I wouldn't be ripped out either way..

I looked into buying a slimmer set of glasses , it's expensive..Babyworn is too..around the same price..

do you know if pulling out your wisdom teeth affects the implant ? I *should* have done it before the implant , but I was too scared!

For now it's a wait and see thing..and I'm not at any way patient! lol..

And today I woke up and my wisdom tooth hurts!! a LOT ! coincidence? I don't know..whole jawline , side of face, can't talk properly , can't eat properly..it's too much of an coincidence..anyone has faced that?did it affect CI in any way ?

At least I hope it's the fault of the stupid tooth , so I wouldn't be ripped out either way..

do you know if pulling out your wisdom teeth affects the implant ? I *should* have done it before the implant , but I was too scared!

For now it's a wait and see thing..and I'm not at any way patient! lol..

I had One taken out under Local 5 years ago and 3 wisdom teeth out under GA nearly 3 years ago as they weren't through and impacted. I must say am lucky it was done pre implant as i was getting infections/pains about 4-6 times a year, it was awful, last resort was when my ears closed up and jaws swelled up and it was worst ever infection, the Denisit had to send me to emergency dept to be put on IV antibiotics. It was in April, I had them out in October 2005. I think I would have suffered if i had the implant then! Now days I had NO infections since! It's not that bad having them taken out under GA, I was out of hospital same day, I couldn't eat soilds for few days. There weren't any pain just stiffness in the jaws hence can't eat solids. The first one i had with Local was easier as the teeth were through and i was up and back at work same day no pain/stiffness.

Have you had your wisdom teeth checked out (x-rayed?) Are they impacted? are they through? My 3 weren't through so had to be taken out under GA. If yours are through it will be taken out with local, all you would feel is lots of tugging/pulling thats all.

Good luck with the stupid teeth! Sorry can't help with post implant part.

Mmmm thanks for the response..

No , I never x-rayed my teeth..maybe I should visit my dentist and ask him to check it a bit..

I had a tooth ( the right one before the wisdom , don't know what's called ) locally removed and I still remember it..the roots were really tight and local A wasn't affecting me much!!

Even with GA at the implant , it took me at least 15 minutes to knock out , and 3 to wake up from GA..lol..talk about high resistance ( and it was my first GA too..lol )

I decided I will save a bit of money for the babyworn just in case , and if it's the fault of the stupid tooth , I will have some money for any emegenercy..(I'm not a saver..)

Back