Breast-feeding magazine cover gets mixed reaction

ITPjohn

SAC Class of 05
Premium Member
Reaction score
The attachment is this 'controversial' cover. I don't get all the fuss. :dunno:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060727...udZ24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

'Breast' cover gets mixed reaction
By JOCELYN NOVECK, AP National Writer
Thu Jul 27, 5:55 PM ET

"I was SHOCKED to see a giant breast on the cover of your magazine," one person wrote. "I immediately turned the magazine face down," wrote another. "Gross," said a third.

These readers weren't complaining about a sexually explicit cover, but rather one of a baby nursing, on a wholesome parenting magazine — yet another sign that Americans are squeamish over the sight of a nursing breast, even as breast-feeding itself gains more support from the government and medical community.

Babytalk is a free magazine whose readership is overwhelmingly mothers of babies. Yet in a poll of more than 4,000 readers, a quarter of responses to the cover were negative, calling the photo — a baby and part of a woman's breast, in profile — inappropriate.

One mother who didn't like the cover explains she was concerned about her 13-year-old son seeing it.

"I shredded it," said Gayle Ash, of Belton, Texas, in a telephone interview. "A breast is a breast — it's a sexual thing. He didn't need to see that."

It's the same reason that Ash, 41, who nursed all three of her children, is cautious about breast-feeding in public — a subject of enormous debate among women, which has even spawned a new term: "lactivists," meaning those who advocate for a woman's right to nurse wherever she needs to.

"I'm totally supportive of it — I just don't like the flashing," she says. "I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."

Another mother, Kelly Wheatley, wrote Babytalk to applaud the cover, precisely because, she says, it helps educate people that breasts are more than sex objects. And yet Wheatley, 40, who's still nursing her 3-year-old daughter, rarely breast-feeds in public, partly because it's more comfortable in the car, and partly because her husband is uncomfortable with other men seeing her breast.

"Men are very visual," says Wheatley, 40, of Amarillo, Texas. "When they see a woman's breast, they see a breast — regardless of what it's being used for."

Babytalk editor Susan Kane says the mixed response to the cover clearly echoes the larger debate over breast-feeding in public. "There's a huge Puritanical streak in Americans," she says, "and there's a squeamishness about seeing a body part — even part of a body part."

"It's not like women are whipping them out with tassels on them!" she adds. "Mostly, they are trying to be discreet."

Kane says that since the August issue came out last week, the magazine has received more than 700 letters — more than for any article in years.

"Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," wrote Lauren, a mother of a 4-month-old.

The evidence of public discomfort isn't just anecdotal. In a survey published in 2004 by the American Dietetic Association, less than half — 43 percent — of 3,719 respondents said women should have the right to breast-feed in public places.

The debate rages at a time when the celebrity-mom phenomenon has made breast-feeding perhaps more public than ever. Gwyneth Paltrow, Brooke Shields, Kate Hudson and Kate Beckinsale are only a few of the stars who've talked openly about their nursing experiences.

The celeb factor has even brought a measure of chic to that unsexiest of garments: the nursing bra. Gwen Stefani can be seen on babyrazzi.com — a site with a self-explanatory name — sporting a leopard-print version from lingerie line Agent Provocateur. And fellow moms recognized a white one under Angelina Jolie's tank top on the cover of People. (Katie Holmes, meanwhile, suffered a maternity wardrobe malfunction when cameras caught her, nursing bra open and peeking out of her shirt, while on the town with fiance Tom Cruise.)

More seriously, the social and medical debate has intensified. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recently concluded a two-year breast-feeding awareness campaign including a TV ad — criticized as over-the-top even by some breast-feeding advocates — in which NOT breast-feeding was equated with the recklessness of a pregnant woman riding a mechanical bull.

There have been other measures to promote breast-feeding: in December, for example, Massachusetts banned hospitals from giving new mothers gift bags with free infant formula, a practice opponents said swayed some women away from nursing.

Most states now have laws guaranteeing the right to breast-feed where one chooses, and when a store or restaurant employee denies a woman that right, it has often resulted in public protests known as "nurse-ins": at a Starbucks in Miami, at Victoria's Secret stores in Racine, Wis., and Boston, and, last year, outside ABC headquarters in New York, when Barbara Walters made comments on "The View" seen by some women to denigrate breast-feeding in public.

"It's a new age," says Melinda Johnson, a registered dietitian and spokesperson for ADA. "With the government really getting behind breast-feeding, it's been a jumping-off point for mothers to be politically active. Mommies are organizing. It's a new trend to be a mommy activist."

Ultimately, it seems to be a highly personal matter. Caly Wood says she's "all for breast-feeding in public." She recalls with a shudder the time she sat nursing in a restaurant booth, and another woman walked by, glanced over and said, "Ugh, gross."

"My kid needed to eat," says the 29-year-old from South Abingdon, Mass. And she wasn't going to go hide in a not-so-clean restroom: "I don't send people to the bathroom when THEY want to eat," she says.

But Rebekah Kreutz thinks differently. One of six women who author SisterhoodSix, a blog on mothering issues, Kreutz didn't nurse her two daughters in public, and doesn't really feel comfortable seeing others do it.

"I respect it and think women have the right," says Kreutz, 34, of Bozeman, Mont. "But personally, it makes me really uncomfortable."

"I just think it's one of those moments that should stay between a mother and her child."

Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Attachments

• Magcover.jpg
    Magcover.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 13
I discussed this with a co-worker today. I think it is absolutely ridiculous how prude our society is, and how uncomfortable people are with something natural. Breastfeeding is natural people, get over it!!!

What I really don't understand is why it's perfectly acceptable for women to walk around in public with their tits half-hanging out of their shirts and the stomachs showing, but not for a woman to breastfeed. I mean, it's one thing if a woman is taking her shirt off and letting the twins hang out for the world to see, but if it's being done in a modest fashion I don't understand the problem.

/steps off soapbox

Man... I agree that Americans are starting to be prude. One of my neiece's mother breastfeed my neiece, and it doesn't bother me..

ayala920 said:
I discussed this with a co-worker today. I think it is absolutely ridiculous how prude our society is, and how uncomfortable people are with something natural. Breastfeeding is natural people, get over it!!!

What I really don't understand is why it's perfectly acceptable for women to walk around in public with their tits half-hanging out of their shirts and the stomachs showing, but not for a woman to breastfeed. I mean, it's one thing if a woman is taking her shirt off and letting the twins hang out for the world to see, but if it's being done in a modest fashion I don't understand the problem.

/steps off soapbox

As a guy, I wouldn't mind seeing a mother nursing a child by the bared breast. Good grief, people, the woman's breast is NOT a sexual object like another part of the body is and NO, it does not turn me on seeing it. In addition, if the "prudes" really want to make a stink, why don't they do it when they see a mother dog or mother cat nursing their young?

By the way, what is there to look at when the mother is doing it? Good grief! :roll: I'm cool with it. :cool2:

If you don't want your kid to see it, don't show your kid. Simple as that. :roll:

In addition, if the "prudes" really want to make a stink, why don't they do it when they see a mother dog or mother cat nursing their young?
I know......HELLO! We're MAMMALS!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were born to breastfeed. Yes, breasts ARE sexual, but they are ALSO ulitarian. Some people!!!!!!!!!

Gee, I cannot believe how some close-minded people are turned off by that cover! What was wrong with the picture? Breatfeeding is very natural and that what our breasts are for! I have breastfed both my babies.

This topic has always been so controversial for a long time but I am really glad that there is a law that just had recently became in effect as of July 12, 2006 in Kentucky. I am also a supporter of breast-feeding for so many reasons. The breasts itself is not viewed as a sexual item, it can be used as a natural thing to feed a baby for many reasons which I am sure you guys are already aware of. Some people just don't get it and think of it differently. It is up to everyone to be educated and to be aware of what breast-feeding can do.

Breast-Feeding in Public Completely Legal Beginning Today

Do you think it's indecent exposure for a nursing mother to breast feed her
child in public?

As of July 12, 2006 it's legal in Kentucky.

Like a lot of new mothers, Bridget Rumer has important reasons for choosing
to breast feed her newborn, and if that makes someone else uncomfortable,
"they don't have to look. They don't have to watch," she says. "And
there's ways to be discreet about it."

Morgan Reck of Lexington disagrees. "I think you should do it in the
privacy of your own home. It's disgusting."

It's never been illegal to nurse a child publicly, but Kentucky lawmakers in
March passed a law clearly stating three things.

1) Breast feeding in public is not indecent exposure.

2) Municipalities cannot restrict a mother's right to breast feed.

3) Other people are not to interfere if a woman is breast feeding in a place
she and her baby are allowed to be.

*sigh*

I think its stupid to agure over that just a pic..

I dont see nipples or exposed.. just skin of breast.. to show how we the mothers nursing/nursed.. we are trying to tell the mothers/worlds .. breastfeedings are the best thing for the first year babies' immune system..

SMH at crazy or senstive people!

I have breastfeed last daughter but not oldest daughter.... I dont care if anyone stared at my breastfeed... because it is my own breast... i care of breastfeed my baby
I used to put the blanket cover my baby while breastfeeding.... I do beleive that breastfeed is natural and keep the baby become healthy... I dont think breastfeed is not showing a sexual !!!!!!! i refused to show how my breastfeed is so beautiful or ugly... huh? it is my own business that what i want to breastfeed my baby thats all i wants....
The one things, when my oldest daughter played in her bedroom and i never SHOWED breastfeed front of my daughter .... Yes, my ex husband stared at breastfeed with my last baby daughter... he learned something about breastfeed.... I did showed him what breastfeed look like and wears a pads for the milk leaks.... and bras tooo...
I was so embrassment when my sister in law was breastfeeding with all of three kids without no covers the blanket .... and I saw one of my nephew played a doll and put his breastfeed with the doll.... i was so furious with my sister in law and looked at nephew doing with the dolls... she said it is normal and i still disagree with her because she showed her breastfeeding front of her own kids...

kristy said:
I was so embrassment when my sister in law was breastfeeding with all of three kids without no covers the blanket .... and I saw one of my nephew played a doll and put his breastfeed with the doll.... i was so furious with my sister in law and looked at nephew doing with the dolls... she said it is normal and i still disagree with her because she showed her breastfeeding front of her own kids...
There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in front of your other kids. I have breastfed my last one in front of my older child. It is nothing to be ashamed of. It is good to let your other kids to know that breastfeeding is the best way to feed a baby.

I breastfed my daughter, and she breastfed her sons. I'm very supportive of breastfeeding babies.

The magazine cover picture was not sexual in nature. The baby's face was equal in proportion to the exposed breast area, and balanced the color, texture and rounded shape.

It is true that pictures can carry more impact than a quick "glance" of a mom breastfeeding because, theoretically, a person can stare endlessly at a photo and dwell on the image. But that's pretty much a stretch of criticism in this particular case. I don't see anything wrong with the picture itself.

If it bothers a family member, I think the best thing to do is just take it off the coffee table, and don't make a big deal about it. It will be quickly forgotten.

I hear that babies who are breastfed are very smart than the ones who aren't breastfed. :o

I've seen that magazine before and I thought it was pretty funny but still, breastfeeding is absloutely normal...you see breastfeeding on kittens sucking milk out of the cat, you see pigs sucking milk out of the pig, and you even see cubs sucking milk out of the bear...so we are mammals...big deal!

This isn't the 1900s anymore it's 2006 so shut the fu** up and find something that is REALLY serious.

I know.....I find women breastfeeding to be VERY beautiful. It's just that stupid ol' Playboy etc has sexualilzed breasts til some people don't even see them as ulitarian! I mean GOD, it's not like penises or vaginas.......sheesh!

I truly believe it's a cultural thing. In France there were statues and paintings everywhere that embraced the body as a beautiful thing, not as sex objects or meat. America seems to have embraced thin buxom peroxide blondes as being beautiful when in actuality there is no true beauty in completely altering one's self to meet a society's standards.

I find nothing tasteless with that cover. I guess these people are total hypocrites--they find that cover "sexual", yet they are saying it's bad because it's "dirty"... All I see is a mom feeding her baby.

I once did see a woman breastfeeding at a car rental place, but I was like "Eh, whatever" I didn't think too much about it. However, I am not surprised about adults who want to keep their kids from being as horny as they are.

I am so glad I am asexual. :) (Meaning I have no sex drive whatsoever and never had one. :D ) The horny sexuals in this messed-up society are so :crazy: and I'm glad to be free of that.

I have no problem with people breastfeeding others in public... as long as it's not in the obvious public. If you're sitting at the back of a bus and no one is looking at you, fine. If you're in a crowded restaurant where everyone sees each other, no way.

I don't care as long the baby is fed which is important. Who would like to ignore scream and crying baby in the public, it is annoy for hearing people to listen.

Anyway I must admit I breastfed my babies in the public places such as resturant, beach, deaf clubs, aeroplane etc.

When my daughter turn 18 months old, she came and turn my blouse off and look for it, I decided to wean because I don't like this way after witness a toddler about 2 years old - did that which is eye-sore and I am not embrassing but it turn me off totally.

If those people are so disgusted by it, why don't they go ahead and stop the babies from being fed? Then the babies would cry and rattle the prune people's ear drums. Which one is better, happy and well fed babies or crying and starving babies? What would those people think if we reminded them that babies using bottles have huge nipples in their mouths? If they freak out about human breasts, they should be freaking out about dog ones and cow and goat udders.

Back