Braille and wheelchairs...

At one time, waiter asked me for brallie menu at Cheesecake Factory and I was by appalled his question - it was back in 2009, even I didn't use white cane.

Have any of you that have been handed a braille menu asked they person giving it to you why they are doing so?

Hey AC. Sorry that I struck a nerve here. My intention in this post was one of incredulousness at the stupidity of people. The intention was not to say that I didn't believe what people were posting. I was being playfully stupid. I wasn't discrediting anyone's experience.

Which, however, brings me to a different point here. In the future, can we not go straight to, "you don't belong here." I'm keenly aware of the fact that I don't belong here. I'm a hearing person with near perfect hearing. I'm a freelance singer as well my day job, so my existence is tied in large posse to my hearing. I understand that my experience of life is vastly different from yours. But I'm also trying to understand your side of life. That's why I'm on here. Why else would I be? I'm learning ASL, I'm on here to try to understand Deaf culture better so that I'm not like the people this thread is about.

I get that I'm a guest here. I fully understand that this is your space and I'm lingering in it, uninvited. I know that I'm the outsider here. No one need make that any more clear to me than I make that for myself. But what I would appreciate is a little more benefit of the doubt when responding to me. Instead of jumping to "you don't belong here," you instead could say, "that came off a little rude, could you clarify what you meant." Or you could ignore me. Or even block me, if you feel so inclined. But please understand that I'm learning, I'm new here, I'm trying, but I'm gonna make mistakes. I don't understand all the ins and outs of Deaf culture. But I'm trying to be better. If I say something wrong, feel free to correct me. Educate me. Which I also understand is in no way your responsibility, but I would appreciate it.

So basically, educate me, ignore me, call me out on my bullshit. But don't go straight to a polite version of, "Get the fuck out." All that accomplishes is the Deaf and the hearing further alienating one another.

And that's my whiney snowflake moment for the day.
I applaud you, Lysander! Everyday, I encounter people who are just too afraid of our condition to even try to communicate. I have grandchildren, bosses, coworkers, and old friends (from my better hearing days) who avoid conversation with me rather than try to understand. Bless you!

Some people do walk up to a drive up ATM. I suppose if you're blind, you're not driving. I've seen it.

Some people do walk up to a drive up ATM. I suppose if you're blind, you're not driving. I've seen it.
If I was blind I sure wouldn't be walking through a bank lot to an ATM... especially here lol

But you may be a passenger in a car someone else is driving.

Also I wonder if the same slots/covers might be used for walk up ones as well rather than make two versions of something that is very similar.

But you may be a passenger in a car someone else is driving.

What? It doesn't matter where the ATM is located. Whether it's in a store or bank lobby or in a bank drive through. Being a passenger matters zilch here, as long as the blind person can walk up to any ATM. They can get out of the car and use an ATM. Equal access is the law.

What? It doesn't matter where the ATM is located. Whether it's in a store or bank lobby or in a bank drive through. Being a passenger matters zilch here, as long as the blind person can walk up to any ATM. They can get out of the car and use an ATM. Equal access is the law.
Hah. Once I stood between cars at a bank drive-through and made a transaction. That got me a lot of looks but it was like water off a duck.

Hah. Once I stood between cars at a bank drive-through and made a transaction. That got me a lot of looks but it was like water off a duck.
I've seen others do that too. That's why the whole being a passenger in a car is totally irrelevant.

I used to do that ALL the time when I lived in PA since the bank ATM was just across the street where I lived. This was back in the days before Banks would nail you for using an ATM outside of your banking network.

I've seen others do that too. That's why the whole being a passenger in a car is totally irrelevant.

But being a passenger in a car is one of the times when the braille can be very useful.

But being a passenger in a car is one of the times when the braille can be very useful.
Oh, so the passenger is going to lean over the driver in order to access the panel with the Braille? Even I could not fit over my husband driving. I'd have to get out and walk up to it. If you're talking about a backseat passenger I could see how that would work, but nobody is disputing HOW it get gets used. The atms have Braille regardless.

I walk up to drive through ATMs or get out if I am a passenger often.

I just did a quick google search and apparently there are 34 states that allow legally blind people to drive. Each state defines "legally blind" differently so it does depend on where you are and what you can see. I remember when I was in college a legally blind student drove to school.

I walk up to drive through ATMs or get out if I am a passenger often.

I just did a quick google search and apparently there are 34 states that allow legally blind people to drive. Each state defines "legally blind" differently so it does depend on where you are and what you can see. I remember when I was in college a legally blind student drove to school.
Yep. I had a friend who had Usher's Syndrome and in his home state of Missouri, he couldn't pass the exam because they give eye tests, you know, where they test your peripheral vision. All he did was drive 30 minutes to Illinois where they didn't have that requirement. Viola!

Oh, so the passenger is going to lean over the driver in order to access the panel with the Braille? Even I could not fit over my husband driving. I'd have to get out and walk up to it. If you're talking about a backseat passenger I could see how that would work, but nobody is disputing HOW it get gets used. The atms have Braille regardless.
Turn around and reverse into the ATM lane....lol

Back