Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boy, 7, dies in apparent trespass shooting

updated 4:48 p.m. ET May 9, 2009

HOUSTON - A 7-year-old boy who was allegedly shot in the head by a couple who thought he and three other people were trespassing on their property died Saturday, authorities said.

Donald Coffey Jr. died Saturday morning at a Houston hospital, less than two days after the boy was struck in the head by shotgun pellets, Sheriff's Cpl. Hugh Bishop said.

Sheila Muhs and her husband, Gayle Muhs, both 45, were charged with second-degree felony counts of aggravated assault in the shootings Thursday. They were being held at Liberty County Jail with bail set at $25,000 each and had not yet retained an attorney, Bishop said.

Bishop said the district attorney could upgrade the charges to murder on Monday, but investigators were "still trying to get the circumstances behind the incident."

The boy, his 5-year-old sister, their father and a family friend were off-roading near a residential area about 40 miles northeast of Houston when they were shot after stopping so the children could go to the bathroom.

Authorities said the couple fired after they mistakenly thought the group was trespassing on their property.

Bishop said the area includes a dirt road, trees and overgrown brush and that it wasn't uncommon for people to go off-roading there. The Houston Chronicle reported that a sign in front of the suspects' home reads: "Trespassers will be shot. Survivers will be reshot!! Smile I will."

Liberty County Chief Deputy Ken DeFoor said Sheila Muhs fired a 12-gauge shotgun once, then handed it to her husband, who also fired once.

DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."

DeFoor said the levee belonged to the subdivision and was not private property.

Bishop said there was no indication the unarmed victims did anything threatening toward the Muhs.

Donald Coffey Sr. suffered a pellet wound in his right shoulder and his daughter, Destiny, suffered a wound to the elbow. The family friend, 30-year-old Patrick Cammack, was in serious condition Saturday with a head wound, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center spokeswoman Alex Rodriguez said.

Boy, 7, dies in apparent trespass shooting - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Oh my dear... again

Where´re their common sense... ?

It shouldn't be legal to sell guns to people who look like that...

There's no reason to shoot someone on your property.

The Associated Press: Texas boy, 7, dies after shot in mistaken trespass

werid :roll: *shake my head* Why nobody say something when they see the werid warning sign?

Where´s their common sense`?

It remind me of my friend. It was happened to him in 1983, visit his cousin in Texas. See my post in other thread.

http://www.alldeaf.com/strange-stup...ots-intruder-took-law-into-her-own-hands.html

You can see that it´s not first time that couple shoot people from walk on their property.

My heart goes out to the victims and their family. I hope US Government wake up and do something. Mexcio Government told US Government to restrict the gun law because there´re many US gun shoot in Mexcio.

Where´re their common sense... ?
yea I had a same question. these people should have known that it's legal to shoot at trespassers in Texas. They lack common sense by not checking with the property owner to ask for permission to ride on the property. Lot of people do that. Apparently - we have a handful of stupid people who are very ignorant of laws. My friend's family owns over 100 acres in Virginia. He's had people (ATV/Dirtbike) asking them for permission to ride on their property. Oh btw - yes there is a house with over 60 guns because the family especially his cousin collects guns. nobody got shot :)

It shouldn't be legal to sell guns to people who look like that...
look like what? Did you know it's against the law in America to discriminate the people?

There's no reason to shoot someone on your property.
uh.... yes there is a reason. Trespasser. Did you know trespassing is a crime?

werid :roll: *shake my head* Why nobody say something when they see the werid warning sign?

Where´s their common sense`?
yea I wonder the same. See above for same answer.

It remind me of my friend. It was happened to him in 1983, visit his cousin in Texas. See my post in other thread.

http://www.alldeaf.com/strange-stup...ots-intruder-took-law-into-her-own-hands.html

You can see that it´s not first time that couple shoot people from walk on their property.

My heart goes out to the victims and their family. I hope US Government wake up and do something. Mexcio Government told US Government to restrict the gun law because there´re many US gun shoot in Mexcio.
You're mistaken - these guns were ILLEGALLY OBTAINED and ILLEGALLY TRANSPORTED to Mexico. Ever seen Mexico-USA Border traffic?

mexico-us-border.jpg

Notice the difference in volume of traffic - left side is USA entering Mexico and right side is Mexico entering USA. Maybe Mexico should actually do their part in border patrol and tighten up their security so that they wouldn't have this problem.

Anyway - Higher gun restriction DOES NOT fix the problem. Look at what happened to drug law. When you ban the drug - the drug profit goes up, drug crimes go up, drug-related deaths go up.

We don't want to see innocent people getting killed by illegal guns because of gun restriction. We don't want to see criminals getting rich from selling guns either due to gun restriction.

blacks21.jpg

yea I had a same question. these people should have known that it's legal to shoot at trespassers in Texas.

Yes, we are well aware of Texas reputation.

They lack common sense by not checking with the property owner to ask for permission to ride on the property. Lot of people do that. Apparently - we have a handful of stupid people who are very ignorant of laws. My friend's family owns over 100 acres in Virginia. He's had people (ATV/Dirtbike) asking them for permission to ride on their property. Oh btw - yes there is a house with over 60 guns because the family especially his cousin collects guns. nobody got shot :)

Actually, but I would respectfully ask them to leave instead of shot them for enter my property.

look like what? Did you know it's against the law in America to discriminate the people?

For USA, it´s discrimination? :shock::eek3: It´s very scary... :Ohno:

Here in Germany, it´s not discriminate to check and judge people´s background before allow them to have gun liescne to buy gun.

Actually, is it necassary to shoot someone that haven´t done anything threaten on houseowner´s property but just walk? Why can´t they ask them to leave... it´s not hurt to ask them... You use your common sense when you see them.

I have many people in my property. I do not shoot them because I use my good common sense.

It´s very sad and very scary of the parents to allow their children to ride their bikes around the block or walk next door to their friend's house. It destory freedom thru property owner´s stupid paraniod and lack of common sense. The families should not live in fear when they want to make outing trip. Look at this little boy who lost his life to paraniod couple who thought he enter in their property. It destory boy´s family´s life for lost their son and brother to stupid and paraniod couple. That couple belongs to stay in prison for long time.

You're mistaken - these guns were ILLEGALLY OBTAINED and ILLEGALLY TRANSPORTED to Mexico. Ever seen Mexico-USA Border traffic?

mexico-us-border.jpg

Notice the difference in volume of traffic - left side is USA entering Mexico and right side is Mexico entering USA. Maybe Mexico should actually do their part in border patrol and tighten up their security so that they wouldn't have this problem.

Anyway - Higher gun restriction DOES NOT fix the problem. Look at what happened to drug law. When you ban the drug - the drug profit goes up, drug crimes go up, drug-related deaths go up.

We don't want to see innocent people getting killed by illegal guns because of gun restriction. We don't want to see criminals getting rich from selling guns either due to gun restriction.

blacks21.jpg

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0904/16/ldt.01.html

Many weapons come from the USA and Mexicans were being killed by US weapons. It´s long to read the link but it´s interesting.

I saw on TV, at first Hillary Clinton blames Mexico for drugs to spread out to USA. Obama visit Mexico few weeks ago to solve over drug issues between US and Mexico. President Mexcio suggest Obama about Gun restriction law in USA because many weapons brought to Mexico from USA and kill many Mexicans. It should be stop.

There´re fault on both sides between USA and Mexico, not just fingerpoint to Mexico.

Last edited:
While trespass is against the law, but there is no reason to shot someone who has not damaging anything or causing any problems. They should have called the police immediately, I do not like signs where it says "No trespassing, or you shall be shot" You can't take the law in your own hands causing harm to trespassers. When someone is trespassing, they should gave trespassers amount of time to leave the owner's property. It's common sense. :roll:

Shoot a 7 year old?? Stupid people! They should have called the cops instead of taking the law in their hands. The boy's life could have been spared. Doesnt seem worth it as many lives are ruined for sure.

yea I had a same question. these people should have known that it's legal to shoot at trespassers in Texas. They lack common sense by not checking with the property owner to ask for permission to ride on the property. Lot of people do that. Apparently - we have a handful of stupid people who are very ignorant of laws. My friend's family owns over 100 acres in Virginia. He's had people (ATV/Dirtbike) asking them for permission to ride on their property. Oh btw - yes there is a house with over 60 guns because the family especially his cousin collects guns. nobody got shot :)

Just how can someone ask permission to be on their property, if a sign is posted that they will be shot? :ugh:

No, there was no reason howsoever to shoot anyone for trespassing, when trespassers has not causing any body harm or had cause any damage to the property.

I could tell you a story similar to this story but nobody had been shot, but we were physically attacked. This happened years ago, when I drove my sister and her boys over her ex husband's house to drop off the boys because it was the father's weekend to have the boys. After we arrived there, his mother came out and assaulted us repeatedly, and had informed us to leave her property immediately because we were trespassing. I was thinking what the..., We aren't trespassing! We were only dropping the boys off to their father, he was expecting us, it's not like we showed up without informing the father about the plan.

After I left the house, I reported the assault to the police, sure enough she tried to press charge against me for trespassing, but the police said I wasn't on her property by the time they arrived, so she could not press charge. But, she was arrested for assault. (and she deserved it)

Now you see that you can't take the law in your own hands causing body harm to trespassers.

I could tell you a story similar to this story but nobody had been shot, but we were physically attacked. This happened years ago, when I drove my sister and her boys over her ex husband's house to drop off the boys because it was the father's weekend to have the boys. After we arrived there, his mother came out and assaulted us repeatedly, and had informed us to leave her property immediately because we were trespassing. I was thinking what the..., We aren't trespassing! We were only dropping the boys off to their father, he was expecting us, it's not like we showed up without informing the father about the plan.

After I left the house, I reported the assault to the police, sure enough she tried to press charge against me for trespassing, but the police said I wasn't on her property by the time they arrived, so she could not press charge. But, she was arrested for assault. (and she deserved it)

Now you see that you can't take the law in your own hands causing body harm to trespassers.

major difference - she had no legal reason to defend her property since you weren't on her property. :)

While trespass is against the law, but there is no reason to shot someone who has not damaging anything or causing any problems. They should have called the police immediately, I do not like signs where it says "No trespassing, or you shall be shot" You can't take the law in your own hands causing harm to trespassers. When someone is trespassing, they should gave trespassers amount of time to leave the owner's property. It's common sense. :roll:

Agreed. This was a 7 year old child, for Gawd's sake!

I'm sorry, but you would have to be an idiot to shoot a 7 year old kid for trespassing.

I know it's about having rights to protect your property, but people should at least use their common sense on when a person should be shot at.

Agreed. This was a 7 year old child, for Gawd's sake!

if you read the article carefully - it's not just a 7 years old child. They shot at GROUP of people - 5 years old girl, 7 years old boy, their father, and a family friend.

I find it distasteful as a gun owner because Muhs (the married couples who shot them) fired without warning. But the fact still remains that the people should be fully aware of Texas' law regarding gun laws and property. They should have double-checked with the property owner, law, and everything! Better safe than sorry!

if you read the article carefully - it's not just a 7 years old child. They shot at GROUP of people - 5 years old girl, 7 years old boy, their father, and a family friend.

I find it distasteful as a gun owner because Muhs (the married couples who shot them) fired without warning. But the fact still remains that the people should be fully aware of Texas' law regarding gun laws and property. They should have double-checked with the property owner, law, and everything! Better safe than sorry!

Only an idiot shoots a gun into a group of people where children are present. No excuse for this. This is exactly the kind of thing that happens when vigilates decide they are going to take the law into their own hands. Lst time I checked, trespassing was a misdemeanor offense, not a crime punishable by death....especially when the death involves a 7 year old kid.

Just how can someone ask permission to be on their property, if a sign is posted that they will be shot? :ugh:
didn't you know people honk before entering the driveway to get owner's attention? also - they can drive on driveway to owner's house unless there's gate and signs that clearly said - No Trespassing. It obviously means the owner does not want to be bothered and his/her property is not to be trespassed. sorry but it's the law. Please be a smart citizen and know the law. Don't be stupid. I say same for gun owner - Please be a good citizen and don't get trigger-happy because this affects all other gun owners.

No, there was no reason howsoever to shoot anyone for trespassing, when trespassers has not causing any body harm or had cause any damage to the property.

Reread the article - "DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."

BTW - I don't condone Muhs' action. But it's also the family's responsibility to be aware of whose property they're riding on.

didn't you know people honk before entering the driveway to get owner's attention? also - they can drive on driveway to owner's house unless there's gate and signs that clearly said - No Trespassing. It obviously means the owner does not want to be bothered and his/her property is not to be trespassed. sorry but it's the law. Please be a smart citizen and know the law. Don't be stupid. I say same for gun owner - Please be a good citizen and don't get trigger-happy because this affects all other gun owners.

Reread the article - "DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: "They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them."

BTW - I don't condone Muhs' action. But it's also the family's responsibility to be aware of whose property they're riding on.

WTF!!! You call 911 first. Not after you have already taken the life of a 7 year old child.

WTF!!! You call 911 first. Not after you have already taken the life of a 7 year old child.

That's why it left a bitter taste on my tongue and I'm sure same for rest of responsible gun owners. Here - see below of Muhs couple -

ALeqM5iOcWGxGThu9g_-2kxTKGUYbAlsPw

ALeqM5hr5DaYPaCjF5M15cVzG3Jrypd6iw

I bet I know exactly what your first thought is cuz I have same. :mad2:

That's why it left a bitter taste on my tongue and I'm sure same for rest of responsible gun owners. Here - see below of Muhs couple -

ALeqM5iOcWGxGThu9g_-2kxTKGUYbAlsPw

ALeqM5hr5DaYPaCjF5M15cVzG3Jrypd6iw

I bet I know exactly what your first thought is cuz I have same. :mad2:

These are some scary ass people! And you are correct about my reaction to the sign.

They are insane, but geez, if they want to be left alone, then you better leave them alone.. unless you are a cop. because if it is not guns, they will send their dogs out to attack, or set out traps, etc. I already know a few who tell their dog to "stick 'em!" on people. They put up a sign that says "BEWARE OF DOGS"

people who want to be left alone need to put up a chain fence so people don't get hurt by them. and lock it.

For USA, it´s discrimination? :shock::eek3: It´s very scary... :Ohno:

Here in Germany, it´s not discriminate to check and judge people´s background before allow them to have gun liescne to buy gun.
That's why you're employed by US government... because we do not discriminate people based on race, gender, and disability. I think you're misunderstanding something. Discriminate means - they judge people based on race, gender, religion, etc. Background check is different from discrimination because the government's just checking for criminal record and psychological record - both are automatic disqualifications to owning a gun.

I'm more concerned about people ILLEGALLY owning guns than dumb rednecks LEGALLY owning guns.

Actually, is it necassary to shoot someone that haven´t done anything threaten on houseowner´s property but just walk? Why can´t they ask them to leave... it´s not hurt to ask them... You use your common sense when you see them.
Yes - our classes emphasize on that. Be smart. Be aware. Do not be trigger-happy. Use gun as LAST RESORT. etc. etc. etc. Why? because it's a serious business. Apparently - to these hillybilly couples... they're an embarrassment to us gun owners and to Texas.

I have many people in my property. I do not shoot them because I use my good common sense.
Sorry but you do not deserve to say anything like that. First of all - you don't like guns. You don't own one. Therefore - you cannot make a comment like that.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Many weapons come from the USA and Mexicans were being killed by US weapons. It´s long to read the link but it´s interesting.

I saw on TV, at first Hillary Clinton blames Mexico for drugs to spread out to USA. Obama visit Mexico few weeks ago to solve over drug issues between US and Mexico. President Mexcio suggest Obama about Gun restriction law in USA because many weapons brought to Mexico from USA and kill many Mexicans. It should be stop.

There´re fault on both sides between USA and Mexico, not just fingerpoint to Mexico.
why? We did our part. We spent BILLIONS and BILLIONS on it. We provided MILLIONS of dollars, equipment and training to Mexico. Now Mexico needs to do their part and stop bitching. Mexican government and its police force are nothing but bunch of fat corrupted pigs.

You are NOT UNDERSTANDING the issue that gun restriction does not solve anything. This is something that we have better common sense than German government. :cool2:

That's why you're employed by US government... because we do not discriminate people based on race, gender, and disability. I think you're misunderstanding something. Discriminate means - they judge people based on race, gender, religion, etc. Background check is different from discrimination because the government's just checking for criminal record and psychological record - both are automatic disqualifications to owning a gun.

I'm more concerned about people ILLEGALLY owning guns than dumb rednecks LEGALLY owning guns.

Frankly, I'm concerned about both. Especially when it results in the death of an innocent child.
Yes - our classes emphasize on that. Be smart. Be aware. Do not be trigger-happy. Use gun as LAST RESORT. etc. etc. etc. Why? because it's a serious business. Apparently - to these hillybilly couples... they're an embarrassment to us gun owners and to Texas.

Sorry but you do not deserve to say anything like that. First of all - you don't like guns. You don't own one. Therefore - you cannot make a comment like that.

why? We did our part. We spent BILLIONS and BILLIONS on it. We provided MILLIONS of dollars, equipment and training to Mexico. Now Mexico needs to do their part and stop bitching. Mexican government and its police force are nothing but bunch of fat corrupted pigs.
Shame that money wasn't spent on a viable program. And I believe if you will check the news, the U.S. has its own problems with fat corrupted pigs on the police force.

You are NOT UNDERSTANDING the issue that gun restriction does not solve anything. This is something that we have better common sense than German government. :cool2:

Let's see....this happened in the U.S., right? It wasn't in Germany.
Yep, my map clearly places Texas in the United States. Looks like lower restrictions don't solve anything, either.:cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back