Boy, 7, dies in apparent trespass shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
texas is the same size of Germany, isn't it?

Can't compare Texas to that one either. But are you asking for the number of childhood deaths as broken down by state?

yep. i'm doing some quick research as well because you just piqued my curiosity.

If the Muhs want to keep unwanted guests off their private property then they should have installed a good perimeter fence, a wire fence would have done the work, I'm sure they couldn't afford that, but I guess they took the risk to shot someone and now ending up in jail for it, so much for being a smart homeowner. NOT.

Who cares if they can afford it or not, if they going to put that sign up MAKE them pay for fencing. Or make anyone with a gun have a fence around their property to keep children out.

Same thing they do in FL with pools

we should have a knee-jerk reaction in tightening up our gun law over one/few incidents and also making false statements about our gun laws..

We do need to tightening up our gun control laws because more and more people get injured and killed by firearm, they aren't just using guns for self defense. I'm not going to sit around and let the police deal with people that are using it wrongly, it's a waste of time. a life is cost. That would not stop gun crimes. I don't want to hear "guns don't kill people, people kill people" that's a weak argument for me. Guns are always dangerous, even when they are present in use and curious kids get killed.

But then if you wanted to change political issues , there is nothing you can do to fight back it if your country become a Nazi Germany.

The total population of Texas as of July 2008 was 24,326,974

The most recent firearm death rate for the state of Texas is 11 per every 100,000 people

That would be 2676 deaths annually in the state from guns.

We do need to tightening up our gun control laws because more and more people get injured and killed by firearm, they aren't just using guns for self defense. I'm not going to sit around and let the police deal with people that are using it wrongly, it's a waste of time. a life is cost. That would not stop gun crimes. I don't want to hear "guns don't kill people, people kill people" that's a weak argument for me. Guns are always dangerous, even when they are present in use and curious kids get killed.

same with pools in backyard, power tools, cars, kitchen appliances, kitchen knives, bullies, violent movies/tv shows, computers (cyber stalking & pedophiles), and dozens more...

More children are molested/exploited than killed by guns....

same with pools in backyard, power tools, cars, kitchen appliances, kitchen knives, bullies, violent movies/tv shows, computers (cyber stalking & pedophiles), and dozens more...

That is a very weak argument, Jiro.:roll:

Reposted: In one year, more children and teens die from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, and HIV/AIDS combined.

Firearms are the 2nd leading cause of death in juveniles under 18 years of age.

Boy killed as gun-toting Texas ranchers open fire on young family who had stopped for the loo
A seven-year-old boy was killed by a couple who had posted a sign on their land saying: 'Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be re-shot!!'

Donald Coffey Jr was hit in the face by a shotgun blast while sitting on the back seat of his dad's car after a family outing.

He had been returning from an evening off-roading and swimming in rural Texas with his dad and a group of friends.

Police said Shelia Muhs and her husband Gale opened fire with a double-barrelled shotgun, believing the group were trespassing on their land.

The odd-looking couple took it in turns to fire on the family who had stopped so the young children in the party of eight could use the bathroom in Dayton, about 45 miles from Houston, Texas.

The Muhses, both 45, are likely to face capital murder charges after the death of the seven-year-old boy.

Four people, including another child, were injured in the unprovoked attack which took place on Thursday night.

The victim's five-year-old sister, Destiny, and their father, Donald Coffey Sr., 36, were hit but have been treated by doctors and released from hospital.

The fourth shooting victim is family friend Patrick Cammack, 30.

Doctors said he had shotgun pellets lodged in his skull that cannot yet be removed.

Police said the group were on their way home when they stopped near the Muhses' property.

Cindy Nelton, who was driving one of the cars, said shots suddenly rang out and their car windows caved in.

Liberty County chief deputy Ken DeFoor said Sheila Muhs fired a 12-gauge shotgun once, then handed it to her husband, who also fired once.

DeFoor said Sheila Muhs then called 911 and told the dispatcher: 'They're out here tearing up the levee, so I shot them.'

Police later established that the shooting victims had been on a public road and not on private property.

Boy shot in Liberty County died
A 7-year-old boy who caught the brunt of a shotgun blast Thursday night in Liberty County died Friday about 6:45 p.m.

Three other people, the boy's father and sister and a family friend, were also wounded when a couple allegedly shot twice at the group with a 12-gauge shotgun. Those three were in stable condition Friday afternoon, said Liberty County Chief Deputy Ken DeFoor by phone.

Gale and Sheila Muhs, both 45, are charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, DeFoor said. He expects the charges will be upgraded because the boy died.

"It was totally, totally uncalled for. There's no earthly logic to why you would do this," he said.

Donald Coffey Sr., 36, was driving an SUV and family friend, Patrick Cammack, 30, was driving a jeep on Country Road 443 to a residential levee in the Westlake subdivision near the Trinity River in the Dayton area, The Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site.

Coffey's children, 7-year-old Donald Jr. and 5-year-old Destiny, were with them, along with Coffey's wife and an 11-year-old boy. Neither Coffey's wife nor the 11-year-old were injured, DeFoor said.

Around 9 p.m., the men stopped the cars to let the children go to the bathroom, DeFoor said.

The Muhs, DeFoor said, came out of their house, cussing at the group and telling them to leave.

Then, one of them picked up a shotgun and fired.

"We don't know who did it, but somebody fired a second shot," DeFoor said.

The shots, fired from about 40 yards away, hit the boy and Cammack in the head and Destiny in the right elbow, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The three were airlifted to Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center.

DeFoor said Sheila Muhs called 911 and said: "They're running over our dikes in big-wheel vehicles and I shot them," the Houston Chronicle reported on its the Web site.

DeFoor told The Enterprise Friday that witnesses said the group was not on the dikes, that instead, they were stopped by the side of the road.

"It wasn't their (the Muhs) property," DeFoor said. "State statute says legally you can shoot a trespasser at night on your property, but not on the road, and that's where they were."

Although DeFoor said the right rear window of the SUV was shattered and the Jeep had pellets in it, it wasn't clear whether the victims were outside or in the vehicles when the shooting occurred, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Donald Coffey Sr. had a pellet wound in the shoulder and drove himself to the hospital, where he was treated and released, the Chronicle reported.

DeFoor told The Enterprise that both of the Muhs have prior records, but no major offenses and nothing comparable to this incident.

Just so we all understand what exactly happened.... jesus... dumb-ass rednecks..

:confused: You sure don't know how to stay on the same track don't you? Since this thread is about shooting trespassers, and it involves guns control, so why can't we discuss about guns other than this?

:confused: You sure don't know how to stay on the same track don't you? Since this thread is about shooting trespassers, and it involves guns control, so why can't we discuss about guns other than this?

because it's a misguided, knee-jerk reaction... prompting you to demand for tighter gun control.

That is a very weak argument, Jiro.:roll:

Reposted: In one year, more children and teens die from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, and HIV/AIDS combined.

Because of our advanced medical technology, they usually live long enough to adulthood or die in adulthoods!!! duhhhhhh

Firearms are the 2nd leading cause of death in juveniles under 18 years of age.
Could you kindly link a source for that statement so I can look into it? :ty:

Because of our advanced medical technology, they usually live long enough to adulthood or die in adulthoods!!! duhhhhhh

Could you kindly link a source for that statement so I can look into it? :ty:

Already posted it. And that is a combination of all those illnesses, Jiro. They may be living to adulthood with medical care for illness, but guns are still killing them. At a horrendous rate. So what...we save them from dying of illness just so they can be shot to death? But we are talking about death rates, not survival rates. There are any number of children who are shot that are not included in the numbers from the CDC because they didn't die.

The total population of Texas as of July 2008 was 24,326,974

The most recent firearm death rate for the state of Texas is 11 per every 100,000 people

That would be 2676 deaths annually in the state from guns.

here's a much more specific statistic from CDC - limiting result to JUVENILE age (0-18 years old) only since we're talking about children death caused by guns.

Texas Gun Deaths
2006, Texas - Firearm Deaths and Rates per 100,000 (All Races, Both Sexes, Ages 0 to 18)
Number of Deaths: 183
Population: 6,818,653
Crude Rate: 2.68

1999 - 2006, Texas Firearm Deaths and Rates per 100,000 (All Races, Both Sexes, Ages 0 to 18)
Number of Deaths: 1,467
Population: 51,584,208
Crude Rate: 2.84

Texas Automobile Deaths
2006, Texas Overall Motor Vehicle Deaths and Rates per 100,000 (All Races, Both Sexes, Ages 0 to 18)
Number of Deaths: 563
Population: 6,818,653
Crude Rate: 8.26

1999 - 2006, Texas Overall Motor Vehicle Deaths and Rates per 100,000 (All Races, Both Sexes, Ages 0 to 18)
Number of Deaths: 4,860
Population: 51,584,208
Crude Rate: 9.42

Now you see why demanding for tighter gun control is nothing but misguided, emotional anti-gun agenda?

because it's a misguided, knee-jerk reaction... prompting you to demand for tighter gun control.

You and I know that the power behind a firearm is capability to kill. Under the second amendment right to self-protection, but people aren't using guns just for self-protection.

In the constitution people have a right to carry their firearm, and that gives them all the power, a power to kill, a power to rob banks, stores.. I hate guns with passionate, and I get nervous wreck walking up to a store knowing that citizens have the right to legally walk around with their firearms, but the only problem is you don't know who is actually carrying a firearm until you get shot.

I gonna call it a night, which I have to head to bed. Good night. ;)

Authorities said the couple fired after they mistakenly thought the group was trespassing on their property.

It seems to me that the group wasnt trespassing in the first place?! :shock:

Exactly, that´s why I said that couple are stupid and paraniod to suspect anything... It shouldn´t be legal to give them liesecne to own the gun like that.

That's what I'm asking you!! What do you mean "look like that" ???? Do you mean to tell me that gun store SHOULD NOT sell guns to people who LOOK like dumbass hillybilly?

I said at early that they look like that they have NO common sense but too stupid to be responsible owner.

If they owned the gun, it's because the Texan authorities and federal government have already performed background check and found no criminal record.

WHAT? that´s because they have no criminal record? that´s all? Not test them? :shock:

we don't either because it's against the law to shoot at people without warning and without justifiable cause. :) And beside - legal to own a gun in Germany? more like... nearly IMPOSSIBLE to own a gun in Germany :lol: Therefore - your statement is moot.

Yes, the fact is Germans are allow to own the gun in household, not public after test them and their background. From now, they must own one or two guns per household, not 12 or more guns. A lot of Germans are not interesting to own a gun in household because they can defend themselves without use a gun.

I said at early that they look like that they have NO common sense but too stupid to be responsible owner.
I agree. They're dumbass!!!!! Refer to my post #65 - It doesn't make sense to own a gun and not know the rules,-- said co-author Alan Korwin in a recent interview.

WHAT? that´s because they have no criminal record? that´s all? Not test them? :shock:
That's what I'm asking you - WHAT TEST?????

Yes, the fact is Germans are allow to own the gun in household, not public after test them and their background. From now, they must own one or two guns per household, not 12 or more guns. A lot of Germans are not interesting to own a gun in household because they can defend themselves without use a gun.
That's fine. It's your country. Whatever happens in your country is your business. I don't need to understand why because it's none of my concern and I respect their way of life. I thought you're respectful of each country's difference. :dunno:

You and I know that the power behind a firearm is capability to kill. Under the second amendment right to self-protection, but people aren't using guns just for self-protection.

In the constitution people have a right to carry their firearm, and that gives them all the power, a power to kill, a power to rob banks, stores.. I hate guns with passionate, and I get nervous wreck walking up to a store knowing that citizens have the right to legally walk around with their firearms, but the only problem is you don't know who is actually carrying a firearm until you get shot.

I gonna call it a night, which I have to head to bed. Good night. ;)

Chance is - in your state, you most likely have walked past by at least thousands of LAW-ABIDING, TRAINED, ARMED CITIZENS in your life in any common places such as mall, movie theaters, roads, etc. BTW - if you ever see an LEGALLY-ARMED citizen exposing his gun on his belt, I do encourage you to call 911 because it's ILLEGAL to expose the gun under CCW status.

Here's a thing - you are much more likely to get shot by criminals with illegal guns than armed citizen. and the chance is - that criminal will be shot by LAW-ABIDING ARMED citizen. :)

Just so you know - the number of citizens using guns for self-defense purpose GREATLY OUTNUMBERS the number of citizens using guns for criminal purpose. In many news about gun-related incidents... it's criminals with ILLEGALLY-OWNED guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back