Born hearing/deaf

i miss my hearing!

i wasnt born deaf - in fact, I didnt start to wear hearing aids until I was 18 years old!! Hows that for a late start!
My parents found out I had a hearing loss at age 11, when my school did a standard hearing check on all the kids - guess who scored lowest in the whole year on the hearing test!! I couldnt beleive it, though id always had trouble hearing the tv and on the phone.

Anyway, i was given hearing aids, and swore that I would never EVER wear them EVER!! but of course, my hearing got worse and worse until now all I can hear is cars and stuff, cant hear birds or the swishing of the trees. I cant hear people speaking to me without my hearing aids unless they REALLY YELL!!

but i have gotten used to it and quite like being deaf, though it took a while, and all i could do was see the bad side of being a deafie.

So now i am 23 and happy wearing my hearing aids all the time, and happy to say to people, "Can you speak more clearly, move your hand, I have to lipread, please goddamit, I f%*kin deaf, and no that doesnt mean im retarded, I have a degree, a job, a boyfriend and my own company." :twisted:

Born deaf by denovo (totally random) genetic mutation.
As well as being deaf, I also have low muscle tone, dysmorphic features, history of seizures, foot (had to wear AFOs aka foot braces when I was little) and thyroid probs, mild social and emoitial issues, slight learning disabilties and probaly some stuff I've forgotten to list. Oh yeah...almost forgot.....a couple of the docs who have seen me as a result of my syndrome (some research being conducted on it in San Antonio TX) think that maybe my depression,and social anxiety are related to my syndrome.

I was born Profound Deaf. No one know why or how I get this deafness in the family. We believe it is from gene in our family that has handicappied. I am not complain about it and I been to used to it. I been involed in hearing world and deaf world some of it but still learning. ;)

I was born profoundly deaf due to a unknown reason. My mother wasn't sick or anything. I'm the only deafie in my entire family. I reckon my deafness is the new thread of deafness in my family - my audiologist said that I have a 50/50 chance of having kids with profound deafness. :D

I became deaf to spinal meningitis at age of a bit over an year old.

I'm profound deaf. :D

I born deaf. I think my mom was ill while she was preggy of me. All of my family are hearing. I wish they know sign language, but they don't want to and want me to use read the lips since I can speak very well. Ugh!!! I would love to have my family to sign with me since I am little jealous that some of my friends parent sign. :( Oh well, I will live. :)

I was hearing when I was born but I got really sick with high fever. I had my upper lip wide open and the top inside my mouth was open too it caused food to go up to my ears not going down to my stomach til i finally had surgery on both of them to close up and finally ate normal to go down to my stomach. I was hearing all since til i was 2 years old. I started to lose hearing. It began to lose everyday after I was 2 years old now I am deaf. Ohh well.. it's LIFE and I accept it. I am very proud to be deaf and proud who I am no matter what i look like or am! :)

My sister and I were born Deaf to hearing family. We reckon it's the Recessive Genes from parents. No one else in the entire family both sides have any deaf relatives. At least I have a deaf sister! :)

Goldie

I was born hearing but I became deaf when I was 3 months old from medicine that cause damage in my ear.:type:

My mum didnt know that she has contracted the German Measles, hence I was born Deaf.

~sharlie~

Born hearing, then got ill with Spinal Meningitis at age 4 mos. already was told that I would be deaf afterward.. I'm not the only deafie in my family..

I was born hearing and I still am hearing. I'm learning sign language so I can become an interpreter or something using sign. Thanks to RI School for the Deaf and EPHS (for mainstreaming) and allisonjoy and complicated for helping me learn and being my first "teachers".

Born hearing but with wierd genetic disease called Ehlers Danlos Sydrome its a defect in the enzymes that make collagen. My mom, grandmother, and cousin all have same genetic problem but I am the only one to show any hearing loss. Found out about it this past November. So I started learning ASL with my hubby and got my first hearing aid. And...I start interpreter training this fall. :ily:

Back