Born hearing/deaf

i should make myself deafer!!!

Sometimes I wish I had been born deaf, and was a signing deaf. It seems so hard to try to be in the hearing world, where they all have such ease in using the phone, hearing people in nightclubs, in resturants, or just sitting around in a group. I wish i could do what they do, and I think that sort of wistfulness comes from not having the ease of communication that Deaf people have when they sign, and when they are surrounded by people who are just like them. I don't know anyone who is deaf. I am very lonely! (Not really that lonely - but it would be nice to feel like I was a part of a community.. like this All Deaf Forum. i love this place!) :thumb:

Born deaf, my mother had rubella when she was preganat with me, didn't find out till I was six months old and had hearing aids when i was eight months old

born hearing, got spinial Menigits when i was 2 yrs old.. become fully deaf at 11 yrs old :)

I was born deaf when i was 3 or 4 month happen high fever that how.. but My mom been rasie me when she was single mother 18 year old so she has learn how sign lang before i was early 9month 1 year old to teach me learn sign lang but i m proud of deaf nothing with this :thumb:

Born hearing. Hearing loss found at 11, and hearing aids. Now deaf left ear profound right. Many other family members with hearing loss -- me only deafie.

Born hearing, then was diagnosed with profound hearing loss at age 6. Don't know why.....

This is a question that may will remain unsolved for me. Being discovered profound deaf at 18 months old, I believe I was born deaf, making me the first deaf in the family. My mom and doctors think it's from being six weeks premature along with my twin but it don't make sense since my twin sister was born hearing. It's a bit mystery since my mother was forced to have us earlier or else, we all three would have died. Guess my results to this is that my hearing died while the rest of us survived the birth, eh. :dunno:

Wow. a lot of deafness here are caused by an illness (menigitis, spinal , measles, etc etc)...

Yet so few haven't detected the cause. I am one of them. My mother was healthy while pregnant with me (she kept saying, "I GAVE UP coffee for nine months for YOUR OWN SAKE!" lmao) and I was born with no illness or health troubles. It was diagnosed at age 2 that I was (and still am) Deaf and the doctor couldn't place an answer to the "why" for my mother to understand. My mother said she knew I was deaf since birth (she first noticed when I was a newborn when I didn't react *more like, BAWL* when she accidently dropped several metal pans on a hardwood floor in the kitchen.) so... like somebody on this thread said- it could be the recessive genes but both of my parents have no known health history that mentions deafness (not even the fact that the grandparents got deafness in their ages...*really common form of deafness in the hearing world*... so if I was to be hearing, my hearing would stay "hearing" to my death, lol!)

Deafness is the most mysterious...(trait*?*) ... hmph what should I describe it? I wouldn't want to say "disability" because it is not but in a way it would fit in this sentence... ah, you know what I want to say ;)

Deafness because ......

Deaf due to complications of measles at aged 10. Or POSSIBLY due to the medication (sulfa) that they gave me to save my life.

I had a good start! I have always made the best of it.

*First Post* I am hearing..... I began to learn sign about a year and half ago so that I could communicate with local deaf disc golfers. I am happy to say that I have made some very good friends and am learning ASL pretty quickly. I am sad to say though that my friends keep moving back thier home states.
:cheers:

Born Hearing but became hard of hearing due to holes in my eardrums, which were surgically repaired, but didn't do much for my hearing. I also have a sound frequency disorder, which is more due to Asperger's (high-functioning Autism) than to Hearing.

There are no Deaf in my family that I know of.

Born hearing, became HOH at the age of five from spinal meningitis.

My parents believe I was born deaf. We don't know the cause, but I think it was due to rubella infection. I was diagnosed at age 1 1/2, since I never spoke a word.

gnarlydorkette said:
Wow. a lot of deafness here are caused by an illness (menigitis, spinal , measles, etc etc)...

Yet so few haven't detected the cause...............Deafness is the most mysterious...(trait*?*) ... hmph what should I describe it? I wouldn't want to say "disability" because it is not but in a way it would fit in this sentence... ah, you know what I want to say ;)

I totally understand what yr saying, gnarly, it is one of the most hidden kinds of differences a person can have because no one really knows you are deaf until they try to communicate with you. I find it most frustrating when people dont know how to deal with it - they can get very emabarresed or don't know what to say.

I wish I knew more about my own hearing loss so that I could talk about it with people and educate more people, I would love deafness to be just the same as wearing glasses...That would be cool.. imagine if the whole world was made specially for deaf people...or like that book, the "Day of the Triffids'" when plants from Outer Space land on the planet and blind everyone, and slowly kill them all off becasue we cant fight back without sight. I often wish that everyone was suddenly made as deaf as mejust so they could expereince what i exepreince.... oooh, im going off the tangent here. Back to where my deafness originated from...hehehe, it came outta my ears and into my heart!

I was born hearing.

Went deaf at the age of 6 years old with mumps and spinal menigitis fever

Anne
xx

I was born hearing, then i got sick and the meds killed the nerves in my ears. I am extremely HOH and wear Hearing Aids.

I agree with gnarly and stunchic. Not many ppl do know that i'm HOH until they talk to me and they can hear it in my voice (i have that damn deaf accent. lol, oh well) I wish as well that ppl percieved it the same way as ppl percieve those who wear glasses. I'd love to have some deaf/HOH friends, but everyone i know has perfect hearing so i'm somewhat alone. I consider myself fortunate to be deaf though...i love it for some reason. I am proud of it. I jsut wish that i knew some more HOH/deaf ppl.

I was born hearing until the age of 5 they recovered that I was deaf due to high fever & too much ear infections as a Baby/child that blew out my ear nerve... My sister Angel acutally has the same problem Werid isnt it?...

Back