Born hearing/deaf

I was born hearing and was hearing for good part of my life...then became HOH due to bad ear infection and needed to start fulltime with hearing aids

An_Italian_Guy said:
I was born hearing and was hearing for good part of my life...then became HOH due to bad ear infection and needed to start fulltime with hearing aids

How old were u when U became Hoh? I had the same problem with Ear Infections too.. Still do.. God, They are Painful! :cry:

My younger sister and I were born deaf, due to recessive genes.
No one in our family is hearing impaired.

I was born HOH and so was my sister. My mother is HOH but she is the only one in her family who is. My hearing loss is considered severe to profound but I have been wearing hearing aids all my life and grew up going to an oral school and then to regular school. I learned sign language later on in life going to evening classes for it. There's a couple of people who have posted things in here that I relate to VERY well such as people not knowing I'm HOH till they try to communicate with me, the "deaf" accent, and also and especially, all of my friends are hearing and I really don't know anyone who understands some of the issues I face at a loud party or in a nightclub. I still don't understand why it is necessary for people to blast the music up at a party so they can just yell at eachother more. Anyways -- point in case.. it's been great to read similar stories of people feeling the same way.

born hearing.. became deaf when I was 2 and half yrs old with scarlet fever. Start wearing hearing aids at 3 yrs old.

I had my hearing when I was born, and I lost it at the age of 3. Nobody knows what caused my hearing loss.

Ive been deaf my whole life.. I never knew the reason why I was deaf until a few days ago.. They took a catscan of my head for other purposes and they said i was deaf due to an enlarged vest something... So... its weird because no one in my familys deaf... Im the first! Im severe profound and I wear hearing aids.. I dont really have to have a hearing aid for my hearing aid since i cant hear crap out of it... my left is the one that i depend on mostly... I grew up in a deaf program (not deaf school) in a hearing school and i was in that program until 8th grade and I went back to my homeschool and mainstreamed in a hearing school in 9th grade till now... Its hard but its pretty simple for me since im oral most of the time and i only use sign language with my deaf friends.. Im proud to be :deaf: :ily:

Born hearing but with wierd genetic disease called Ehlers Danlos Sydrome its a defect in the enzymes that make collagen. My mom, grandmother, and cousin all have same genetic problem but I am the only one to show any hearing loss. Found out about it this past November. So I started learning ASL with my hubby and got my first hearing aid. And...I start interpreter training this fall. :ily:
i am an EDSer too. genetic vascular as well as the hypermobile, not fun, but we are not alone! Deafhood seems to have been my route before birth, the other stuff just decorative.

I recently found out i was born deaf. one hearing nerve on my left side not work at all. The right hearing nerve is slowly losing hearing...

Back