Born hearing/deaf

ChelEler

Reaction score
I don't know if this thread should be here in "Deaf Life> Deaf/Hearing Relationships" forum, since your parents may be hearing or deaf, so therefore you may have relationship with your parents, no matter how good or bad it is. But anyway, my questions to everyone here are:

Were you born hearing then become deaf due to illness, disease, etc?

Or were you naturally born deaf, and how did that happen? Genes? Mother was very ill while being pregnant with you?

My answer to my own question is that I was born hearing and Spinal Meningitis attacked me at age 6 months.

Last edited:
Rubella kid here -- was born deaf and raised the ONLY deafie in the family --

i was born with rubella, my mom had it, affected my hearing, and one eye, had a heart sugery, and many other stuff as well. So it's not the only thing i have right now. but i can say one thing im proud of my being deaf :-D

I was born hard of hearing than later became deaf at 27 and that was 4 years ago. The cause of my deafness is unknown :dunno: and I'm the only deafie in the family.

I was born hearing, became deaf at 11 months old with spinal menigitis.

Ummm.....caused by spinal mengingitis fever at two months old and later discoverd that I am deaf at two years old.

When people say they cant figure out why? I tell them, "because thats the way the Lord made ya."

Everyone is special in that way.

Originally posted by Cain Marko
When people say they cant figure out why? I tell them, "because thats the way the Lord made ya."

Everyone is special in that way.

:werd: :D

:repost: HEY MOD MOVE that damn thread to on topic debates k? thanks :) or move that to wherever u like to do lol ;)

Originally posted by funnybebe78
:repost: HEY MOD MOVE that damn thread to on topic debates k? thanks :) or move that to wherever u like to do lol ;)
There are no issues being fought over or debated on so it will stay here until later reviewing.

As for me, I was born hearing but became deaf due to a common childhood illness. Because of that, I was placed in foster care and then later adopted. Since I was born hearing, then later placed in an oral deaf institute after becoming deaf, I've maintained my oral skills enough to grow up without using signs within my family. My family members have taken an effort to try and learn as much signs as necessary. So far, the best signer is my younger brother. The next would be one of my younger sister. My other younger sister knows almost as much as my first younger sister. My dad's next then my mom who knows very little. They usually use sign language plus homemade signs when my deaf friends come over to visit.

Originally posted by allisonjoy
born deaf!! -- genes!! ((deaf family)) :wiggle:
So... your family is to blame for your deafness? If that is the case, why don't you sue them?

born deaf. odd becuz no one else is deaf in the family. my parents tried to figure out where could i get the deafness from but impossible to figure out. i dont care anyways lol.

Back