Books on Deaf Culture as mentioned by AllDeaf users

I think you may be looking for "I'll Scream Later" by Marlee Matlin (ISBN 1439102856). I haven't read it yet but it looks to be an autobiography.

Diedre you I'm sorry by see the are who want video tv are video Diedre ,.

Dot not Diedre friends by ok do why happy want do ,

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

Hello and thanks for sharing these books. I'm going to have to see if I can get some for myself.

I have written books (both hard copies and e-books) but only one e-book that is related to Deaf and an essay (no longer online) that talks about discrimination in employment and about college education for Deaf people and minorities. It was more geared for broad perspective on people with Disabilities facing such discrimination in employment and how college is.

The e-book I was talking about is about my talents and skills and why can't employers hire me. I think that book has generated controversy. So was the essay. I do not need to name them because its easy for you to find my e-book.

. Removing my post as it was edited by a mod.

Last edited:
The e-book I was talking about is about my talents and skills and why can't employers hire me. I think that book has generated controversy. So was the essay. I do not need to name them because its easy for you to find my e-book.
Can you let us know the link(s) to the said ebook and essay? That'd be helpful.

Thanks.

It's very obvious that Illusionist is an easier career for a deaf man since illusionists rely on people not noticing what they are doing while they put on a distraction with their voice or with a presentation elsewhere (away from the hand that is hiding the other object). A deaf man can also begin to notice how an illusionisy is completing his illusions during the show, creating interest in the deaf man to become an illusionist himself because he feels intelligent that he was able to notice the performer's hidden actions easily.

However, if you meant "magician" instead of "illusionist", that is bigoted yet again, to claim that " more deaf people then you think are a magician". Deaf Is Not A Personality. It is extremely obvious that any deaf human being can be a member of or a believer in absolutely any religion that they want to be in or were brainwashed into, and there is absolutely nothing whatsoever about a deaf man being a witch\magicians\wizard, a priest in Voudon, an Orthodox Xtian, a shaman, an Azraelite, a Rastafarian, or any other religion.
don't read into it more than is there, a simple " you mean -meant " most people are not sensitive to the distinction, or least in past, now days :ugh: good grief:kiss:

Three books that I'm reading for a Deaf studies class are:
Open Your Eyes: Deaf Studies Talking
Deaf Gain: Raising the Stakes for Human Diversity
Deaf World

For Hearing People Only: by Matthew S. Moore & Linda Levitan

On the Fence: by Mark Drolsbaugh

Journey Into a Deaf World: by Harlan Lane, Robert Hoffmeister and Ben Bahan

Train Go Sorry, Inside a Deaf World: by Leah Hager Cohen

Deaf in America, Voices from a culture: by Carol A Padden & Tom Humphreys

Seeing Voices: by Oliver Sacks

Learning to See, teaching ASL as a 2nd language: by Sherman Wilcox, Phyllis Perrin Wilcox

When the Mind Hears: by Harlan Lane

The Mask of Benevolence: by Harlan Lane

Deaf Culture Our Way: by Roy Holcomb, Samuel Holcomb and Thomas Holcomb

At Home Among Strangers: by Jerome Schein

Deaf Culture A to Z: by Walter Paul Kelley & Tony Landon McGregor
Both books called : Life after Deaf by Noel Holsten and Life after Deaf by Monique Williamson

If we could have a moderator make this "sticky" I would appreciate it.

The following is a quick list I have put together taken from recent posts regarding Deaf Culture. A number of us here on AllDeaf feel that it would benefit most anyone. Deaf, Hard of Hearing, ASL students (both terps and just for the heck of it) and CI users whether they identify as deaf or hoh. Families of deaf or hoh would also benefit. If you can think of any that I have not listed, please feel free to add to the thread, but I want the main focus to be about Deaf Culture.
‘Flying to the Light’ by Elyse Salpeter
'Signs of Attraction' by Laura Brown
‘Five Flavors of Dumb’ by Anthony John
‘Deaf Empowerment’ by Katherine Jankowski
‘Seeing Voices’ by Oliver Sacks
'When the Mind Hears' by Harlan Lane
'Journey Into a Deaf World' by Harlan Lane, Robert Hoffmeister, and Ben Bahan

Life after Deaf is a good one by Noel Holston for us late deafened. Helps in regard to dealing with suddent deafness due to injury.

1683654407790.png

If we could have a moderator make this "sticky" I would appreciate it.

The following is a quick list I have put together taken from recent posts regarding Deaf Culture. A number of us here on AllDeaf feel that it would benefit most anyone. Deaf, Hard of Hearing, ASL students (both terps and just for the heck of it) and CI users whether they identify as deaf or hoh. Families of deaf or hoh would also benefit. If you can think of any that I have not listed, please feel free to add to the thread, but I want the main focus to be about Deaf Culture.
If you are Searching a SEO (Search Engine Optimize) or outsourcing company who can provide you best services with proper development and can meet your requirements then my website is the right solution for you.You will get more from your expectation.
Thanks-SM Emran Ali

If you are Searching a SEO (Search Engine Optimize) or outsourcing company who can provide you best services with proper development and can meet your requirements then my website is the right solution for you.You will get more from your expectation.
Thanks-SM Emran Ali

Thanks-SM Emran Ali

Back