Book/media Recommendations?

dmo1978

Reaction score
I was hoping that some of you might have some recommendations for books, movies, lectures, etc. that might help me get an introduction to Deaf culture.

I've seen some of the popular books like "When The Mind Hears" and "For Hearing People Only", but before I start buying/reading a bunch of books I wanted to see if there was a general consensus viewpoint on how representative they are of the actual culture/community. I'm a neophyte in all of this, so please bear with me.

A little about me, for reference. I'm a hearing adult male (40) with a deaf son (5). My son wears CIs and goes to Tucker-Maxon in Portland, OR. I want to make sure that I am doing the most that I can to give him access to his culture and every opportunity to follow whatever path he may choose. I have not done as much I could have previously, so I'm starting now.

Of course I am learning ASL, but I don't want to just know how to sign. I want to understand (as best as I am able to as a hearing person) the world he will live in.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for that. I search the forums prior to posting this, as not to reinvent the wheel, but I must have missed this one. Apologies for the duplicate.

Back