Blu-ray discs and players with real CC

Off topic -one question - that I don't have HD cable/satellite I was wondering about DVR/TiVO - if you recorded something on DVR, are we still able to view taped TV shows with CC?

Yes, if DVR supports CC. Most DVR supports CC but check before you buy. Most cable or satellite DVRs support CC.

I found this from TiVo web site:

How do I enable Closed Captioning? - TiVo

It looks like TiVo HD DVRs support CC.

Peter

A common misconception about closed captioning and subtitles is that captions include sounds (Dog Bark), (Phone rings) etc...

That's not always the case. Not all closed captions will include sounds and not all subtitles do not. It all depends if the captions or subtitles where made for "The hearing Impaired".

Closed captioning is a different format for displaying the text on the video. There's no guarantee that either will include those sounds.

For example go to this link (Click here). It's a list of subtitles for a movie. You'll see that some of them have the below image next to them.

hearing_impaired.gif
(Suppose to be a small hearing aid)

This means those subtitles are made for "The hearing Impaired" and will include those sounds in the subtitles. The next time you purchase a DVD you'll also notice that some will just say "Subtitles" while others will say "Subtitled for the hearing impaired". Now you know the difference.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question about the blu-ray but I just wanted to point that out.

Just saw Groundhog Day (released by Columbia Picture - which also under Sony Picture) on Blu Ray and it's showing CC-like SDH - with black background and white text.

I really hope that they can set an example to other studio and encourage them to use similar with their SDH.

Just saw Groundhog Day (released by Columbia Picture - which also under Sony Picture) on Blu Ray and it's showing CC-like SDH - with black background and white text.

I really hope that they can set an example to other studio and encourage them to use similar with their SDH.

Myself, I prefer it if the subtitles have drop-shadow with a strong black stroke around rather than a solid black background obstructing the picture. Although I don't mind Sony's SDH but they tend to leave out the lyrics which really bugs me.

Myself, I prefer it if the subtitles have drop-shadow with a strong black stroke around rather than a solid black background obstructing the picture. Although I don't mind Sony's SDH but they tend to leave out the lyrics which really bugs me.

I can see everybody have their own taste. I don't remember if I saw any music on Groundhog Day. I never really pay attention to lyrics.

What if they give us little more freedom on how we set our own SDH on Blu-Ray disc? What if they added few options of SDH, such as, "SDH with black background and white text", "SDH with white text and black stroke", or more - will it be too expensive for them to add it on Blu-Ray?

I can see everybody have their own taste. I don't remember if I saw any music on Groundhog Day. I never really pay attention to lyrics.

What if they give us little more freedom on how we set our own SDH on Blu-Ray disc? What if they added few options of SDH, such as, "SDH with black background and white text", "SDH with white text and black stroke", or more - will it be too expensive for them to add it on Blu-Ray?

It's not the idea of expensive. It's the thought of DOING the programming for SDH/CC. It is a world of difference between $ and coding likely, and frankly some people are too lazy to do it as we can tell right now.

It's just an undersight guys, just don't get heated up about it. I'm sure it will come eventually, just not right away. What's the point of getting mad at a device mainly created at first for the hearing audience? That's like getting mad because the Iphone doesn't have braille on the keys. Give them time.

It's not the idea of expensive. It's the thought of DOING the programming for SDH/CC. It is a world of difference between $ and coding likely, and frankly some people are too lazy to do it as we can tell right now.

It's just an undersight guys, just don't get heated up about it. I'm sure it will come eventually, just not right away. What's the point of getting mad at a device mainly created at first for the hearing audience? That's like getting mad because the Iphone doesn't have braille on the keys. Give them time.

I am talking about SDH often lacking lyrics. I see it sometimes with CC too. A good example of where a large amount of lyrics are absent in the SDH track would be "Across the Universe."

I am talking about SDH often lacking lyrics. I see it sometimes with CC too. A good example of where a large amount of lyrics are absent in the SDH track would be "Across the Universe."

Oh yeah, I was replying to JMH's opinion about blu-ray expenses earlier. Not on yours.

I can perfectly share the sentiments you have. Sometimes while watching DVDs or BR's, I notice the stock subtitling doesn't include the lyrics for songs if they play. There are plenty of examples.

This is why I tend to often watch the movie on my PC instead, and download a custom 3rd party SDH on popular sites like subscene and divxsubtitles.

I think its still merely the fact that they were too lazy to implement the lyrics for songs. They get the movie/tv manuscript, but often I can imagine the manuscript doesn't include the lyrics for the songs - it would just say something like "10:00:36 -> 10:03:40 No Doubt - Running song".

Thus the guy (or gal) who's doing the subtitles as it processes through the "DVD plant", doesn't include them out of laziness or better said -- "but the manuscript didn't have it!"

I don't know if it's just lazy or not. It's very likely that they're trying to cut corners to save some wage cost. I know that adding CC or subtitles are expensive - not coding software itself, it's employee wages that are expensive.

Nah, we're not arguing or anything like that. We're just discussing the subject - isn't that what forum for? ;)

Give them time? I not sure what you try tell us. If someone inform Apple to aware with deaf people need a good keyboard whatever. then we can give them time. How possible you know if they not know if nobody tell them. Or high user is hearing so out weight of us.

Give them time? I not sure what you try tell us. If someone inform Apple to aware with deaf people need a good keyboard whatever. then we can give them time. How possible you know if they not know if nobody tell them. Or high user is hearing so out weight of us.

Right, but actually, Apple owner Steve Jobs still does not give a sh*t about people. He only makes his own decision whatever he wants to design Apple computers and his software. :roll: I have some Apple computers at my house, and I'm happy with them.

Bill Gate was the only one that helped some deaf people with a special program for a short time. It was nice of him. Somehow, he stopped helping them later, and I don't know what happened. Perhaps, he solved it what they needed from him.

Last edited:
I know this is not a Blu-ray player but has anyone tried Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD recorder with HDMI up-conversion? It has closed caption support. I downloaded a manual from:

Panasonic DMR-EZ28K Support and Service Information

and found it on page 53.

This looks promising. Maybe Panasonic will make Blu-ray players with CC support. Write an e-mail to them.

Peter

EDIT: Toshiba also makes CC DVD recorder. Toshiba | D-VR660: DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with Built-In Digital Tuner

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...dvd-recorder-dmr-ez28k-closed-caption-cc.html

Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EZ28K Closed Caption CC

This player does have hard encode of Close Caption CC. You can change the color and size and some other things.

It's a little tricky to get it to work.

Hit "SUB MENU" go to function then display and turn on Closed Caption CC.

When you start the DVD again you will not see Closed Caption CC. You need to hit "STATUS" button about two times to turn on Closed Caption.

Hopes this helps

Right, but actually, Apple owner Steve Jobs still does not give a sh*t about people. He only makes his own decision whatever he wants to design Apple computers and his software. :roll: I have some Apple computers at my house, and I'm happy with them.

Bill Gate was the only one that helped some deaf people with a special program for a short time. It was nice of him. Somehow, he stopped helping them later, and I don't know what happened. Perhaps, he solved it what they needed from him.

Thank for let me know.

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...dvd-recorder-dmr-ez28k-closed-caption-cc.html

Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EZ28K Closed Caption CC

This player does have hard encode of Close Caption CC. You can change the color and size and some other things.

It's a little tricky to get it to work.

Hit "SUB MENU" go to function then display and turn on Closed Caption CC.

When you start the DVD again you will not see Closed Caption CC. You need to hit "STATUS" button about two times to turn on Closed Caption.

Hopes this helps

so do they still sell this model? I hear in the process for newer model they stopped. I mean DVD player only not DVD-BURNER Player. Now I am asking you, do all model which are DVD-BURNER Player still provider CC build in? I just wonder?

Back