Blu-ray discs and players with real CC

I really admire your passionate fight to get CC back in HD and I agreed with you completely… :yesway:

However, FCC only applies on communication such as phone, broadcast TV, radio, wire, satellite, and cable TV. FCC cannot do anything with home entertainment (such as Blu-ray player, DVD player, and video movies).

About the Federal Communications Commission

The only way we can complain to studios and Blu-ray manufacturers and press them to add CC on their products.

I see your point, then complain for nothing. Unless there is a rule so they have to follow. Also I catch some message from FCC about rule on movies for CC and subtitles that mean not only for those specific. Unless we have to work on to fix the law so we have more choice look at hearing world do whatever their want and forgot about us is wrong.

I think that I am not confused. But, I am not exact sure what you are talking about the DVD. Banjo brought up, and he made a very good point about the HDMI issue. He talked about the HDMI on his blog on his own website. See his link: Banjo's World

The CC and subtitle are not quite the same. Subtitles with movies are available on the DVD and Blu-ray. The CC is only thing that you would like to record your favorite shows on a blu-ray recorder (not the blu-ray player) such as TV news, PBS shows, TV public shows, etc.

There are three separate codes on a VHS machine that has video, audio, and closed caption. Now, the blu-ray has two codes which is not included closed caption. I guess that it is obvious that many blu-ray makers fuck off on us and they think that we are not important people probably due low deaf population - maybe it is not the reason.

Yes, they just put nose up and look down on us. Nah! Never happen! In history we should thank to some deaf people fought for CC on TV and all the news and show. It's time for us to do again for new technology.

Can anyone explain to me why you preferred subtitle over CC?

While I respected your opinion and I just wanted to understand why people prefer subtitle over CC.

Can anyone explain to me why you preferred subtitle over CC?

While I respected your opinion and I just wanted to understand why people prefer subtitle over CC.

I do like subtitle at all but since in the history, close caption been here for long time and through bitch time to get all program support it. Now some people think subtitle is better, Yes that's true but that way to save money. Most the Close Caption build in Television already have new feature which you can adjust anything you want such as box or without box also outline. There are many fonts which you can pick and all color too plus size! that's cool but we ran out of luck cause more brand new DVD player remove 21 line that signal transmit to the TV to make Close Caption work. We are in digital age and the new cord called HDMI only let Picture and Sound through only so think twice when you buy new DVR and want to burn DVD or Blu-Ray from the TV which you don't want miss but remember.... HDMI will not carry CC. Only Movie disc included subtitle. The Subtitle is not came from TV and it came from the Disc only. I want HDMI, DVD Player, and Blue-Ray support CC because we do have some old DVD movies only support CC and not have subtitle. Now that movies with CC are waste. I like keep thing balance not throw away. Unfortunate for us, there no rules against this following the FCC Laws. The TV required CC came from FCC Law. There are many gaps in law which we need to fix it. It's up to us, we need get together to get this back. that's the reason I have to point it out to show some thing which some person not realize that CC still important and indeed it is very expensive. The main point is that CC only work on TV show and program that's it. I think that is a waste.

Hi I'm not deaf but I do like Closed Caption subtitles sometimes. Most of the time it's when a actor was not recorded good or not mic that well. I have also used Closed Caption CC when other people in the room are talking and it helps when watching TV show or Movie for a sec.

Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 do not support Closed Caption CC for DVD play back over HDMI. There are only a hand full of DVD players that do hard encoding of Closed Caption subtitles Toshiba and Panasonic. Also some DVD software for the PC support Closed Caption CC. I know PowerDVD does.

I have a Panasonic that supports Closed Caption but something is not working right.

There is a old post over at about DVD Closed Caption hard encoding

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=699933

Anyway Sony Playstation PS3 and XBOX 360 are DVD players and are very power full machines. There is no reason why they can not have a small firmware update to support Closed Caption CC subtiles.

I tried calling Sony PS3 line but they took it down 1800.345.SONY(7669)

XBOX phone number is 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

Also please post over on the PS3 message board and XBOX message board.

There is large post over at PS3 please post and maybe sony will do a firmware update to do hard encoding of Closed Caption subtiles.

PS3 DVD player closed captioning (EIA-608) support

Feature request: PS3 DVD player closed captioning (EIA-608) support - PLAYSTATION®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums

XBOX 360 post for Closed Caption support please make a post.

Closed Caption CC Support for HDMI for DVD

Xbox.com | General Discussion - Closed Caption CC Support for HDMI for DVD

Please email Ralph Nader and write a letter. This is not just for PS3 and XBOX to support Closed Caption CC but all DVD players should support hard encoding of Closed Caption Subtitles from now on.

Contact Us - The Nader Page

Ralph Nader
P.O. Box 19312
Washington, DC 20036

info@nader.org

Anyway Sony Playstation PS3 and XBOX 360 are DVD players and are very power full machines. There is no reason why they can not have a small firmware update to support Closed Caption CC subtiles.I tried calling Sony PS3 line but they took it down 1800.345.SONY(7669)

You are damn right! But I did, individual are too small to Sony Corp so need more number of people to make one big group to surprise them. :D

It's complicated to get CC to work via HDMI due problem with digital like Banjo explains alot and why does you can't live with this issue? I'm suggest you to use other source to receive CC to work and many companies aren't in when they include CC decoder.

Not just for BD players, many HDTV does have problems as well.

Watch DVD movies via S-Video or composite is only of some options that you can watch with CC.

You are damn right! But I did, individual are too small to Sony Corp so need more number of people to make one big group to surprise them. :D

What happens in next 10 years and don't find way to meet your needs then you wasted of your time to make complain because CC support has offered via S-Video or composite cable, in cases for component cable if HDTV support it.

I don't think it would going to work.

I don't need waste of my time to make complain against companies and already got live with that.

I got other idea about plug your PC to HDTV then you can watch DVD with CC via media center or WMP 11.

I had watched DVD movie with CC on PowerDVD before and it sucks, it all white text with no black in line to make more difficult to read.

I had watched DVD movie with CC on PowerDVD before and it sucks, it all white text with no black in line to make more difficult to read.

What version of PowerDVD? I don't recall seeing it without CC background - I could be wrong.

What version of PowerDVD? I don't recall seeing it without CC background - I could be wrong.

Several, although I'm not sure about the latest version but he's right, there was nothing you could do about it. It was just white text with no background. I didn't care for that.

Well, it has been long time since I have touched PowerDVD (maybe 2 years ago).

What happens in next 10 years and don't find way to meet your needs then you wasted of your time to make complain because CC support has offered via S-Video or composite cable, in cases for component cable if HDTV support it.

I don't think it would going to work.

I don't need waste of my time to make complain against companies and already got live with that.

Then I guess you let them win over you that's what you want? I understand. I am sure there a way for digital do the trick on HDMI but remember they forgot about us. that's so sad.

PowerDVD 8

I'm using WinDVD 9 to watch DVD movies because they got better CC with white text and black in background.

Then I guess you let them win over you that's what you want? I understand. I am sure there a way for digital do the trick on HDMI but remember they forgot about us. that's so sad.

Honestly, I want CC to work over HDMI or component so badly for DVD movies but they aren't smart to put software based CC into DVD or BD players, in last few years ago, I had sent few email to DVD manufacturer about CC won't shown on component cable and they said there's no option and suggest me to use composite or S-Video cable.

I'm using WinDVD to watch DVD movies because they have white text and black in background.

Oh, it's great that S-Video would be the solution for closed captions so I also wonder that S-Video and HDMI have the same high quality video.

Are we missing something else?

Oh, it's great that S-Video would be the solution for closed captions so I also wonder that S-Video and HDMI have the same high quality video.

Are we missing something else?

No S-Video is not as good as HDMI. But S-Video is not that bad.

The only way to get Closed Caption off of a Blu_Ray disc is to view it on a computer and use PowerDVD software.

Some DVD players made by Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer can do a hard encoding of Closed Caption CC subs on to the picture.

Your TV set that supports Closed Caption over lays Closed Caption on to picture.

You can only get Closed Caption over RF, Composite, S-Video, Component. And like I said before a DVD player that does a hard encoding of Closed Caption.

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder I made this post about it.

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...dvd-recorder-dmr-ez28k-closed-caption-cc.html

Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EZ28K Closed Caption CC

This player does have hard encode of Close Caption CC. You can change the color and size and some other things.

It's a little tricky to get it to work.

Hit "SUB MENU" go to function then display and turn on Closed Caption CC.

When you start the DVD again you will not see Closed Caption CC. You need to hit "STATUS" button two times I think to turn on Closed Caption.

Home this helps

Last edited:
Yep web, I agree with vatkat's opinion.

S-video may provide better CC capabilities, but this is merely just a programming undersight. The people who are working on HDMI rather cared less about how good subtitles could get, it was the least important (for them) during the release of blu-ray. Though this may be just the beginning, as lots of things that are good when they come out often are shorthanded on something. It is through later versions and releases it gets better.

If you understand video resolution terminology, S-Video can only go up to a maximum of displaying 700x468 pixels. Component goes to a max of usually up to ~720p for the older models, the newer ones can support up to 1080i/p (1920x1200). HDMI by default is native 1080p (1920x1200 pixels), it can offer over twice the quality of native S-Video.

It is approx about 75 pixels per 1 inch for you to get an idea.

Are we still talking about Blu-Ray movies or taped it off from TV and burn onto Blu-Ray disc?

If we're talking about Blu-Ray movies, there are only two studios that provide CC-like subtitles - Universal Studio (white font with little black stroke around fonts) and Sony Pictures Classic (this is only studio with white font and black background subtitles).

If we're talking about taping TV and put it on Blu-Ray disc, I believe the only way to view the CC by watching through PC's software - such as PowerDVD and WinDVD with Blu-Ray capability. This is only way till they develop something better technology that allow the players to enable the CC.

Funny that CC have been around over 20 years and now they have been demoted to foreign subtitles. :roll:

Off topic -one question - that I don't have HD cable/satellite I was wondering about DVR/TiVO - if you recorded something on DVR, are we still able to view taped TV shows with CC?

Back