Blu-ray discs and players with real CC

I tested my Blu-Ray with component and I used regular DVD (Ratatouille) and the CC did not appear.

But you said you used regular DVD player with component and the CC worked – that I have not test that and I will try to find time to mess around with cables and hook components to my standard DVD player. I will let you know. ;)

Oh, by the way, I watched Japanese anime called Paprika (through Sony Pictures Classic) on Blu-Ray and surprised to see its special SDH with CC look-like (even with black box and white text).

So, that leaves Universal Studio and Sony Pictures Classic uses a special subtitle that are same as CC.

I tested my Blu-Ray with component and I used regular DVD (Ratatouille) and the CC did not appear.

But you said you used regular DVD player with component and the CC worked – that I have not test that and I will try to find time to mess around with cables and hook components to my standard DVD player. I will let you know. ;)

Oh, by the way, I watched Japanese anime called Paprika (through Sony Pictures Classic) on Blu-Ray and surprised to see its special SDH with CC look-like (even with black box and white text).

So, that leaves Universal Studio and Sony Pictures Classic uses a special subtitle that are same as CC.

Should use A/V cable or S cable which cc appears for DVD movie from Blu-ray player

Should use A/V cable or S cable which cc appears for DVD movie from Blu-ray player

Yes, I'm aware of it. However, I still have two good DVD players and I have no need to use Blu Ray for standard DVD movie/series. :)

Most Blu-ray discs come with SDH tracks (Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing). Universal, Fox, Sony, Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, MGM, Paramount, DreamWorks and more always include SDH with the movies on Blu-ray.

It's not just Universal and Sony. There is a reason why they decided to go with SDH instead of CC for Blu-ray Disc. It's because of the HDMI cable being unable to transmit the CC signal.

I already know about SDH since Universal decided to stop using CC on their DVD several years ago.

There are two kind of SDH out there (that I called): CC-style SDH and foreign-style SDH.

“CC-style SDH” means that the text appears at the spot where the actors speak, just like CC on regular DVD – while “foreign-style SDH” and regular subtitles text always stay in middle-bottom of the screen no matter what.

Only difference between SDH foreign-style subtitles and regular subtitles that SDH added noise background, such as knock on the door, phone ringing, etc… that are not shown in regular subtitles.

My biggest gripe on SDH foreign-style subtitles is that it’s real difficult for me to follow whose talking. For an example, 4 people on one screen and one person will say something and you will not know which said that. And if two or more people saying at same time, the text will appears like this:

-blah blah blah.
-yak yak yak.

We have to figure out who said which line. It’s much more pain to watch it.

I have been testing each studio’s Blu-Ray movies since I bought Blu-Ray player. WB, Paramount, Liongate, New Line, Tri Star, and Disney (I’m still working on MGM, 21st Century FOX, and Columbia) does not have CC-style SDH.

And only Universal Studio and Sony Pictures Classics have CC-style SDH.

I already know about SDH since Universal decided to stop using CC on their DVD several years ago.

There are two kind of SDH out there (that I called): CC-style SDH and foreign-style SDH.

“CC-style SDH” means that the text appears at the spot where the actors speak, just like CC on regular DVD – while “foreign-style SDH” and regular subtitles text always stay in middle-bottom of the screen no matter what.

Only difference between SDH foreign-style subtitles and regular subtitles that SDH added noise background, such as knock on the door, phone ringing, etc… that are not shown in regular subtitles.

My biggest gripe on SDH foreign-style subtitles is that it’s real difficult for me to follow whose talking. For an example, 4 people on one screen and one person will say something and you will not know which said that. And if two or more people saying at same time, the text will appears like this:

I have been testing each studio’s Blu-Ray movies since I bought Blu-Ray player. WB, Paramount, Liongate, New Line, Tri Star, and Disney (I’m still working on MGM, 21st Century FOX, and Columbia) does not have CC-style SDH.

I prefer SDH over CC, but if you don't follow the subtitles with the people, you simple quick read the subtitles then lipread to understand more on who was talking this and that.

I dislike ugly SDH subtitle (yellow blur fonts) on regular DVD movie. I always use C21 CC to play DVD movie. SDH subtitle on Blu-ray disc movie is better font and style than regular DVD movie.

Okay, I see what you mean. One of the problems with some SDH tracks is that the black stroke around the subtitles is not bold/strong enough. So what happen is when we enter a shot which is bright (white, yellow, etc), it can be difficult to read the subtitles.

I understand where you're coming from. It can be a problem for some people. I never have a problem knowing who is saying this and that, but I know a lot of people who have difficulties with it.

I prefer SDH over CC, but if you don't follow the subtitles with the people, you simple quick read the subtitles then lipread to understand more on who was talking this and that.

Yeah, but it's much pain. I like to watch movies/TV shows and relax. I don't want to work myself to read quickly and look up and see who's talking.

(off topic: your signature gif of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - loved that series, it's hilarious!)

I dislike ugly SDH subtitle (yellow blur fonts) on regular DVD movie. I always use C21 CC to play DVD movie. SDH subtitle on Blu-ray disc movie is better font and style than regular DVD movie.
I agreed. I noticed some Japanese anime series has varies of colors on their subtitle track - white, yellow, green, red, and blue. Sometimes if two characters talking at same time, it would show one yellow text and other green text (sometimes red text). Weird. I have never seen it on any other foreign movies.

Okay, I see what you mean. One of the problems with some SDH tracks is that the black stroke around the subtitles is not bold/strong enough. So what happen is when we enter a shot which is bright (white, yellow, etc), it can be difficult to read the subtitles.

I've noticed it. I wish they could give us little more freedom on selection how we want with SDH. Blu-Ray seems to be advance enough for us to modify the SDH fonts the way we like. I've read somewhere that you're able to download fonts through Blu-Ray Live - but I'm not sure what for...

I understand where you're coming from. It can be a problem for some people. I never have a problem knowing who is saying this and that, but I know a lot of people who have difficulties with it.

Yeah, I guess it depends on individual.

I am waiting for Blu-ray recorders to come out. Do you think that they will be ready on the market this year? I believe that the Blu-ray recorders will be very expensive for one or two years.

I understand now about the HDMI issue which is greatly disappointment for all of us because we would like to record our favorite shows that will not show up on captions. What a jerk! I believe that the Blu-ray company makers discriminated our deaf race on purpose. I hope that there will be a lawsuit coming out this year. I think that the FDA is not going to solve it for us because the FDA wants your money upfront. If the lawsuit is successful, then all makers should be forced to add another port for the CC on the Blu-ray recorders and plus upgrade new HDMI cables, too. The companies should be punished what they done to us.

I am waiting for Blu-ray recorders to come out. Do you think that they will be ready on the market this year? I believe that the Blu-ray recorders will be very expensive for one or two years.

I understand now about the HDMI issue which is greatly disappointment for all of us because we would like to record our favorite shows that will not show up on captions. What a jerk! I believe that the Blu-ray company makers discriminated our deaf race on purpose. I hope that there will be a lawsuit coming out this year. I think that the FDA is not going to solve it for us because the FDA wants your money upfront. If the lawsuit is successful, then all makers should be forced to add another port for the CC on the Blu-ray recorders and plus upgrade new HDMI cables, too. The companies should be punished what they done to us.

I agree that. Should be CC on Blu-ray recorders.

I think you got in confused, I am talking about OLD DVD PLAYER with component will work without use 480P. Now ALL of NEWER DVD PLAYER AND BLU-RAY PLAYER will not support CC at all! Why? Talk to companies and FCC and you might understand it. For me, I RATHER HAVE CC because today newer tv have customer CC that you can change anything on it which give us a good opportunity to make a choice than limit. NOW, technology changed and mess up our chance! Look at deaf people got in confused why???? the CC not working!!!!! See I hate them screw up with technology so we have to find what going on. Now we need to do something with FCC rules to apply with all electronic such as HDMI, TV, VIDEO DEVICE, Also Network stream video and we have to get together to fight back to government to adjust the rules. or we will get some dark age again. It up to us and you. GOOD LUCK!

We have no choice to move on next level of DVD called Blu-Ray cause of better resolution and sound. Geez, No CC anyway, The subtitles look good. Look at VHS, what's happen to them? they buried it and move on next level. DO IT FIGHT WITH GOVERNMENT AND FCC so they can add new rules to apply this issue. Thank you.

I think you got in confused, I am talking about OLD DVD PLAYER with component will work without use 480P. Now ALL of NEWER DVD PLAYER AND BLU-RAY PLAYER will not support CC at all! Why? Talk to companies and FCC and you might understand it. For me, I RATHER HAVE CC because today newer tv have customer CC that you can change anything on it which give us a good opportunity to make a choice than limit. NOW, technology changed and mess up our chance! Look at deaf people got in confused why???? the CC not working!!!!! See I hate them screw up with technology so we have to find what going on. Now we need to do something with FCC rules to apply with all electronic such as HDMI, TV, VIDEO DEVICE, Also Network stream video and we have to get together to fight back to government to adjust the rules. or we will get some dark age again. It up to us and you. GOOD LUCK!

I really admire your passionate fight to get CC back in HD and I agreed with you completely… :yesway:

However, FCC only applies on communication such as phone, broadcast TV, radio, wire, satellite, and cable TV. FCC cannot do anything with home entertainment (such as Blu-ray player, DVD player, and video movies).

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.
About the Federal Communications Commission

The only way we can complain to studios and Blu-ray manufacturers and press them to add CC on their products.

The reason is that we need to have a CC on all Blu-ray recorders because we didn't want to miss anything from the shows with CC which is part of our education. Your children are your priority that they need to improve their reading. I think that the FDA cannot ignore this example because of the law. Don't you think that it is going to work? We want to advantage it.

Hello,

I have been reading this thread trying to understand complaints about digital CC. It appears the biggest complaint of not being able to see CC from external devices through HDMI.

1. I have no complaints about using sub-titles from Blu-ray movies. I prefer sub-titles over CC and I am not going to debate this. If you prefer CC, that's fine with me. I built a Home Theater PC (HTPC) and it contains two HDTV tuners and Blu-ray drive. I use PowerDVD 8.0 software to watch Blu-ray movies with sub-titles. I use Windows Vista Media Center to record and watch HDTV broadcast programs. Broadcast HDTV CC works flawlessly using DVI or HDMI. This may be an alternative to stand alone Blu-ray players but may cost a little more than stand alone Blu-ray players. I don't even own a stand alone Blu-ray player.

2. Even though Blu-ray recorders are not yet available but if it becomes available, the only way to record UN-ENCRYPTED high definition shows is by Over-the-Air (OTA) antenna. There is no way for any external recorders (Blu-ray or DVD) to record HD from digital cable or satellite because the shows are ENCRYPTED and Blu-ray recorders cannot DECRYPT them. But if Blu-ray recorders do become available, I am hoping they will include the ability to decode CC from OTA antenna and overlay CC on video so that CC can be transmitted through HDMI.

3. If you want to record HDTV programs from cable or satellite dish, then you will need a HDTV recorder from cable or satellite companies. The shows are recorded on hard disk inside HDTV recorders but you will not be able to transfer to external recorders like DVD or Blu-ray recorders via HDMI. These cable or satellite HDTV recorders typically have built-in CC decoders and should be able to transmit CC through HDMI.

4. This is FYI. It's against the law to able able to record anything from one HDTV device (e.g. HDTV cable or satellite box) to another HDTV recorder (e.g. Blu-ray recorder) via HDMI. Even if you could, the data through HDMI is UN-COMPRESSED meaning one hour to two hours of an un-compressed show may consume about 1 terabytes!!!!!!!!

5. I agree with JMH about FCC rules. Complain to studios, Blu-ray or DVD manufacturers, not FCC. There is not a damn thing FCC can do what studios or Blu-ray manufacturers do. Sorry.

I hope I am making this clear.

Cheers,
Peter

Oh my boy, I used had Sony DVD player with component cable in 2003 and CC won't shown up on TV when in progressive mode (component input), also most players or TV don't support CC in component input, don't matters if it's past.

FCC has nothing with regulation of CC for DVD or BD players.

BD players don't support CC for BD movies due issues with HDMI and digital source, however almost all BD movies come with SDH.

If anyone have trouble to read SDH on BD then sticking with DVD, there's not much choice to do.

We have no choice to move on next level of DVD called Blu-Ray cause of better resolution and sound. Geez, No CC anyway, The subtitles look good. Look at VHS, what's happen to them? they buried it and move on next level. DO IT FIGHT WITH GOVERNMENT AND FCC so they can add new rules to apply this issue. Thank you.

Almost all BD include SDH, if you don't satisfy then sticking with DVD, also you don't have much choice if DVD doesn't include CC but rather to use SDH or need get used with SDH.

DVD will last for around 10 years.

Complain to government is less effective and you don't have much choice.

I think that I am not confused. But, I am not exact sure what you are talking about the DVD. Banjo brought up, and he made a very good point about the HDMI issue. He talked about the HDMI on his blog on his own website. See his link: Banjo's World

The CC and subtitle are not quite the same. Subtitles with movies are available on the DVD and Blu-ray. The CC is only thing that you would like to record your favorite shows on a blu-ray recorder (not the blu-ray player) such as TV news, PBS shows, TV public shows, etc.

There are three separate codes on a VHS machine that has video, audio, and closed caption. Now, the blu-ray has two codes which is not included closed caption. I guess that it is obvious that many blu-ray makers fuck off on us and they think that we are not important people probably due low deaf population - maybe it is not the reason.

Back