Bird Feeders

I will be up where they are a common sight soon. They photograph best this time of year as their plumage changes. In winter they are snow white.
Similar to the Sandhill cranes we have here in Minnesota, they are brown during the spring and summer, and then change to a light grey by fall.

I got a chuckle out of the thought of the startled homeowner looking out to see a Sandhill Crane at the bird feeder.

I got a chuckle out of the thought of the startled homeowner looking out to see a Sandhill Crane at the bird feeder.
Mine are at the bird feeder all the time. They either eat right out of it, or eat all the seeds that have fallen below. The other day one had a mouse dangling from his mouth while at the bird feeder. Wish I’d gotten a pic of that, although I have other pics of the cranes at the feeder at other times.

That’s a very good photo. :)

Did you flap your wings furiously when you took the photo? ;)
Thank you! No, but I did have to stand there motionless for several minutes in nothing but my whiteys to earn that shot. :)

Thank you! No, but I did have to stand there motionless for several minutes in nothing but my whiteys to earn that shot. :)
Your tighty-whiteys? I’d take a pic of that. Not talking about the hummingbirds.

She may send "Legs" and his gang of Enforcers to show you some Sandhill Crane justice if you don't comply Cappy! Please please just don't make us witness. Its all too horrible to contemplate!

She may send "Legs" and his gang of Enforcers to show you some Sandhill Crane justice if you don't comply Cappy! Please please just don't make us witness. Its all too horrible to contemplate!

I'm not too worried about the Legs gang. It's a bird, it's a plane, no..its Jeff! He can snatch a fly out of mid air and has kungfu moves named after him. Legs stands no chance.
20180831_120238-1470x3024.jpg

He may have found the homeowner science story showing a mantis actually taking out a hummingbird. Whoa.

He may have found the homeowner science story showing a mantis actually taking out a hummingbird. Whoa.
I have thought of that! Or maybe he just hopped on the bird and went for a joy ride.

New species at the suet. Carolina Wren. Fun fact: the male can sing 40 different song types.
20181114_194405.jpg

Back