Bird Feeders

Open question: Anyone have hummingbird feeder tips? Which color feeder works best? Do you mix your own feed (liquid)? If so, what is your mixture?

Open question: Anyone have hummingbird feeder tips? Which color feeder works best? Do you mix your own feed (liquid)? If so, what is your mixture?
I have only seen red color food in hummingbird feeders. I tried planting flowers they like but the squirrels ate the seeds .

Maybe you can look into buying "pest resistant" plants/flowers?
I gave up on trying to grow flowers b/c the landscaper isn't careful and will cut down anything in his way. He already killed some flowers
here. It was easier for him to mow over the flowers than go around them .
Thank you for the tips .:)

Red feeders work best.

I make my own. Bring to boil water and sugar, 4:1 ratio (water:sugar). Keep unused nectar refrigerated.

Red feeders work best.

I make my own. Bring to boil water and sugar, 4:1 ratio (water:sugar). Keep unused nectar refrigerated.
Thank you. Will try that soon.

Dark Eyed Juncos are back at the feeder. Happy Day!

We had a number of birds, which I dearly miss now that I'm in the condo. I used to love placing peanuts on the porch railing and watching the Blue jays bomb down out of the sky and take them one by one. And we often saw the male and female cardinal which was always my favorite sight...they were so beautiful, even in winter. We had a bird house way up at the top of one true, just above the bird feeder and that was where my little one, Luigi lived. My squirrel, who after grabbing his stash of nuts, would rest half in, half out, looking the picture of contentment.

Laura

The Downy Woodpeckers are back at my suet feeder. (photo is not mine)
Downy-Woodpecker-at-Suet-Feeder.jpg

For goodness sake, don't do it. Hummingbirds are inscrutable little bastards.
It doesn't matter what color it has to imbibe from. They got big mouths and tell all their friends about it, and THEIR friends tell other friends about it, until it becomes a clusterfu... I mean, for real! You are RESPONSIBLE for them for the rest of THEIR lives! Heck, not gonna lie...if you forget to feed the feathered hordes they will tap on your window! Truth!
When you move, guess what? They make it impossible to sleep because they also make you think.
God bless the hummingbirds.

Almost that time again to swap out the seed/suet feeders for hummingbird feeders.

Why not have both kinds?
Well, during warmer weather, the resident birds here need to eat the insects and keep the pests away. If the feeder for them is out, they wont do their job. I do reward them during the colder months. :)

Had a White-breasted Nuthatch visit under my bird feeder this morning. Looks like a miniature Blue Jay. Took me some searching to find its proper name! (photo not mine)
a9288f3b827c04538aeee81f4a247f00.jpg

Back