Bird Feeders

Not at a feeder but I saw my first Robin for this year today (about 60-80 miles east of St. Louis into Illinois).

Not at a feeder but I saw my first Robin for this year today (about 60-80 miles east of St. Louis into Illinois).

Really? I will keep my eyes out for my first Robin for 2016 and report back!

Yes, they do.
I was not aware of that. No wonder I see them all over around here.

We are buying 5 mature lilac trees and 5 crab trees for our new yard. We're getting all white lilacs, and the crab will alternate between pink and red. So they'll be staggered along the property line. I can't wait!

We looked into the pricing last year and now this year we're getting them. It's handy to have a nursery just a mile down the road.

I was not aware of that. No wonder I see them all over around here.

We are buying 5 mature lilac trees and 5 crab trees for our new yard. We're getting all white lilacs, and the crab will alternate between pink and red. So they'll be staggered along the property line. I can't wait!

I was familiar with lilac bushes but not trees so took to old friend Google and ran across a site that talks about both. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/lilac-tree-bush-69507.html

Even without the lilacs, I shouldn't complain. Right now I have my pink cherry trees in bloom, daffodils, azaleas, snow bell flowers, forsythia, and my neighbor's tulip tree to look at. I still have my camellias blooming, with dark pink blossoms and candy-striped blossoms. My yard has a lot of color in it. :)

So much talk about flowers. I do not mind! Keep it going!!. I had this great stretch of lavender/purple Iris's until I threw the yard mushrooms into it, thinking it would be good fertlizer. It killed the whole batch. :mad:

Even without the lilacs, I shouldn't complain. Right now I have my pink cherry trees in bloom, daffodils, azaleas, snow bell flowers, forsythia, and my neighbor's tulip tree to look at. I still have my camellias blooming, with dark pink blossoms and candy-striped blossoms. My yard has a lot of color in it. :)
That sure does sound very colorful! :) We don't any flowers in bloom yet, they can't tell if it's spring yet b/c the weather never stay the same for long out here. I think our flowers are :confused: ! LOL!

The house I sold , there were red headed wood peckers as well as downies, sparrows, bluejays and cardinals, Owls ( dont know breed) and so many others. I also had Beavers, Rabbits, grey and red squirrels and more.

Now my cousins who had a place in Desoto, They had a massive bird feeder. When we got up in the morning the birds would come in flocks. First the Bluejays, then the Cardinals, then various others come and go throughout the day. It was like they had seniority to the feeder at various times throughout the day. At night the owls would hoot and watch them catch field mice and other critters . Nature is Amazing.

The house I sold , there were red headed wood peckers as well as downies, sparrows, bluejays and cardinals, Owls ( dont know breed) and so many others. I also had Beavers, Rabbits, grey and red squirrels and more.

Now my cousins who had a place in Desoto, They had a massive bird feeder. When we got up in the morning the birds would come in flocks. First the Bluejays, then the Cardinals, then various others come and go throughout the day. It was like they had seniority to the feeder at various times throughout the day. At night the owls would hoot and watch them catch field mice and other critters . Nature is Amazing.

Very interesting story. Thank you for sharing!

petbirdfeeder.jpg

I very much would like pink cherry trees. I think they are gorgeous. I never see any around here, so I wonder if there's a reason for that. I'm going to google that. I have not seen any at the nurseries around here. We have 5 acres of land so tons of space to plant lots of color. Our 5 acres is long (wide) and rectangular, rather than square, so the 10 lilac/crabs are going to line the wide length of the land near the road. We're also going to get some huge pine trees - there is a neighbor down the road selling them for $150 apiece + $100 to dig (they're so big they need that big tree digger to pluck it out and then pluck it into your land - you probably know what I'm talking about) so we'll have lots of mature trees coming this year. So excited.

there is a neighbor down the road selling them for $150 apiece + $100 to dig (they're so big they need that big tree digger to pluck it out and then pluck it into your land - you probably know what I'm talking about) so we'll have lots of mature trees coming this year. So excited.

Sounds like a good deal.

The pine trees we're getting are not the kind with the tall trunks and pine at the top, these are the kind that look like Christmas trees. I'm not 100% sure what exact type they are, but I'll find out when we go to get them.

I very much would like pink cherry trees. I think they are gorgeous. I never see any around here, so I wonder if there's a reason for that. I'm going to google that. I have not seen any at the nurseries around here....
They are Japanese pink-flowering cherry trees, if that helps.

Saw my 1st today. 4 days after you. What took 'em so long to get to C. Illinois? did they walk?? :rofl:

Saw my 1st today. 4 days after you. What took 'em so long to get to C. Illinois? did they walk?? :rofl:

Not sure just how much further north you are but think it may a be a matter different weather rather than just distance. I have not been seen them or other birds for several days as rain has moved in. I did get a kick out of the idea of them walking!

They are Japanese pink-flowering cherry trees, if that helps.
That is indeed what I found when looking them up. I'm going to ask the local nurseries around here about them. Thank you!

Back