Bionics Clarion CII

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you or if u know anyone who have this cochlear implant system

Advanced Bionics CLARION CII system?

if so does it work good?

I am just wondering...

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I'm wondering if any of you or if u know anyone who have this cochlear implant system

Advanced Bionics CLARION CII system?

if so does it work good?

I am just wondering...

Im one of them.. and Love it so much...

Works great.. Still learning..

Wendy

DeafScuba, AB's newest CI is now called HiRes AURIA

check their website http://bionicear.com/products/auria.html if you haven't seen it.

I have the "HiRes Auria" BTE it is awesome and the "HiResolution Sound" is awesome. No choosing which strategy to use at all. I am 6 mos post-implant. it's been great ride.. loved it. now listening to music again :) of course I am still learning like Wendy is :)

wonder how that apply to older BTE CIs? like me? cuz that looks kick-ass! i believe i have BTE CII, but it works wonder! and still got lot of practices...wish i wasnt in college so much otherwise i would have used more time on sound understanding.

how long have you wear it? and how often u use it? and do you understand speech pretty well?

same thing for you boult...

J-SIN.. instering... i know tech always improve... now there's CI that can go in MRI... instering?

But my concern is... they never say anything about scuba diving... or sky diving due to pressure... will it do damage? i have no clue how to contact the manafacutre...

Clarion CII Platinum wearer here. I've had it for two years now, installed in Los Angeles. It works great -- I'm using cell phones and catching music tunes. What else do you want to know?

DeafSCUBA98 said:
how long have you wear it? and how often u use it? and do you understand speech pretty well?

same thing for you boult...

J-SIN.. instering... i know tech always improve... now there's CI that can go in MRI... instering?

But my concern is... they never say anything about scuba diving... or sky diving due to pressure... will it do damage? i have no clue how to contact the manafacutre...
Hello, I am on processing get one. I have cancel the surgery twice due the insurance cancel membership without me know. Plan possible suing them if lawyer felt that enough case to sue.

Anway, about you are asking about pressure issue. My doctor say nothing about sky diving but the water limited 100 feet or less.. No greater than 100 ft but I am not that type of diving into water. Umm, I heard that CII has improve a lot and do much better due various. I research that CII has pick up mostly the words than the "just sound" but it can hear the sounds. Sometime you will not hear one thing until one day you heard and wonder what was it. Its lot to practice.

Advising, if you are planning get one or think about it. Whenever you have insurance need pre-authoerzation for surgery and cochlear implant device. Be sure you copies whatever the insurance request you sign the paper. Be sure you mail with proof such as tracking id number. IF they have not got your sign paper form. You just simple have proof that they sign it. Sometime the insurance doesn't want to pay cochlear implant for you. Sometime they think hearing aids is enough as treatment.

Last edited:
ideafspy said:
Hello, I am on processing get one. I have cancel the surgery twice due the insurance cancel membership without me know. Plan possible suing them if lawyer felt that enough case to sue.

Anway, about you are asking about pressure issue. My doctor say nothing about sky diving but the water limited 100 feet or less.. No greater than 100 ft but I am not that type of diving into water. Umm, I heard that CII has improve a lot and do much better due various. I research that CII has pick up mostly the words than the "just sound" but it can hear the sounds. Sometime you will not hear one thing until one day you heard and wonder what was it. Its lot to practice.

Advising, if you are planning get one or think about it. Whenever you have insurance need pre-authoerzation for surgery and cochlear implant device. Be sure you copies whatever the insurance request you sign the paper. Be sure you mail with proof such as tracking id number. IF they have not got your sign paper form. You just simple have proof that they sign it. Sometime the insurance doesn't want to pay cochlear implant for you. Sometime they think hearing aids is enough as treatment.
I have looked at my wal-mart insurance policy... they said

"Cochlear Implants are limited to $60,000 in lifetime maximum benefits paid. This includes pretesting,implants,perioperative care, and one year of follow-up care."

could someone explain to me what's perioperative care?
and is pretesting is audiologist testing my level of hearing?
and what's follow-up care?

also i'm wondering if $60,000 for lifetime enough?

Hello, I just doing my research recent until I got from my email. :D

Recently, I got hired from real job! I am working as policy insurance. Understand how their stuff work is like.

Now I am processing get cochlear implant with their health insurance.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I have looked at my wal-mart insurance policy... they said

"Cochlear Implants are limited to $60,000 in lifetime maximum benefits paid. This includes pretesting,implants,perioperative care, and one year of follow-up care."

could someone explain to me what's perioperative care?
and is pretesting is audiologist testing my level of hearing?
and what's follow-up care?

also i'm wondering if $60,000 for lifetime enough?

60,000 is enough or you can afford to pay monthly agreement with hopsital bill or stuff. Right now, don't worry about is 60,000 is enough. The Wal Mart's policy said about benefits mean.. whenever you are taking a testing for your hearing loss can be restore the sound back on to your cochlea. There are question here what policy rules apply to...

Cochlear Implant
Healthcare considers cochlear implants a medically necessary prosthetic for adults aged 18 years and older with bilateral sensorineural hearing impairment who meet both of the following criteria:

Member has bilateral severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss determined by a pure tone average of 70 dB or greater at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz; and Member has limited benefit from appropriately fitted binaural hearing aids. Limited benefit from amplification is defined by test scores of 40 percent correct or less in best-aided listening condition on open-set sentence discrimination (e.g., CID sentences, Hearing in Noise Test sentences (HINT)).

Healthcare considers cochlear implants a medically necessary prosthetic for children 12 to 18 months of age or older (use of Clarion is covered in children 18 months of age or older, and use of Nucleus is covered in children 12 months of age or older) with bilateral sensorineural hearing impairment who meet all of the following criteria:

Child has profound, bilateral sensorineural hearing loss with thresholds of 90 dB or greater at 1000 Hz; and Child has limited benefit from appropriately fitted binaural hearing aids. For children 5 years of age or younger, limited benefit is defined as lack of progress in the development of simple auditory skills in conjunction with appropriate amplification and participation in intensive aural habilitation over a 3 to 6 month period. For children older than 5 years of age, limited benefit is defined as less than 20 percent correct on open-set sentence discrimination (e.g., Multi-syllabic Lexical Neighborhood Test (MLNT) or Lexical Neighborhood Test (LNT), depending on the child's cognitive ability and linguistic skills); and A 3- to 6-month hearing aid trial has been undertaken by a child without previous experience with hearing aids. Note: When there is radiological evidence of cochlear ossification, this requirement may be waived at Aetna's discretion.
The following additional medical necessity criteria must also be met for coverage of cochlear implants in adults and children:

The member must have no medical contraindications to cochlear implantation (e.g., cochlear aplasia, active middle ear infection); and
The member must have had an assessment by an audiologist and from an otolaryngologist experienced in this procedure indicating the likelihood of success with this device; and Candidates must be enrolled in an educational program that supports listening and speaking with aided hearing; and
Arrangements for appropriate follow-up care including the long-term speech therapy required to take full advantage of this device, must be assured. (Note: Particular plans may place limits on benefits for speech therapy services. Please consult plan documents for details.)

See that quote? That my healthcare policy rule about my hearing loss due where I live and they approve to that rule.

The test will be like they will or might treat you like rat lab to see if you hear anything at all. So that way they can pre-approve you are getting cochlear implant or decline to get cochlear implant. You will listen those word if you understand and what you don't understand the words. They will put the around your head and vibrate if you can hear anything. I know that might sound strange but it will be boring and long testing. They might put water test in your ear due depend how long you have not heard the sounds. So that they can go water against your hear and you look at the light. To see any result such as headache, vomit and etc.. to prevent get wrong time during your first session of cochlear implant. I learn from my friend who has not wore hearing aid for 8 years. After those has approve you for all test they are expecting and then you will get MRI or Cat Scan depend on the health insurance prefer to cover one of those. Also the cochlear implant office have no choice but to accept that cost up to 60,000 mean test, cat-scan, surgery, cochlear implant, speech program (required due my policy but your dunno..) several thing I just typed this message.

I am curious. What state you live and what health insurance does Wal Mart carrier the healthcare. So I can look at my work ;) due the IL, NJ, and SD states are hard to get approve.. I decline one of them due the rule is not apply to them. So hope that information I just gave you example is good enough. I could find the rules from your wal mart's health insurance if the information is open public. I will tell you the next advice you can do before you waste your time.

ideafspy said:
I am curious. What state you live and what health insurance does Wal Mart carrier the healthcare. So I can look at my work ;) due the IL, NJ, and SD states are hard to get approve.. I decline one of them due the rule is not apply to them. So hope that information I just gave you example is good enough. I could find the rules from your wal mart's health insurance if the information is open public. I will tell you the next advice you can do before you waste your time.

I live in Minnesota.. Wal-mart provides me BlueCross and BlueShield insurance company that i'm having right now

and thanks for the information...

DeafSCUBA98 said:
I live in Minnesota.. Wal-mart provides me BlueCross and BlueShield insurance company that i'm having right now

and thanks for the information...

Hello again,

I search at the website of Blue Cross of Minn. and they already know what cochlear implant does and what doesn't. Cochlear Implant from Blue Cross of Minn

Since Blue Cross follow the FDA's limit rule basic on that you can read from list who can get cochlear implant.

Your coverage under HMO or PPO? If PPO and they tend to pay 80 percent and you are responible 20 percent. You know your percent co-pay??

Cochlear implant might for you or not. All you just go to see doctor and depend where you live. Foe example, here oklahoma that I have to wait one appointment per month for single visit. I know several deaf people who live in Texas just snap like automatic all the way through the process be done. I was like that not right. I have to wait one at a time.

Wish you luck and let me or us know what the result you found.

Whoever wants to hear these fart sounds
should get CI :)

mine is PPO and yeah its 20% co pay..

if it cost 60,000 it will cost me 12,000 yikes... sounds too much. but if you have any clue if there's any funds avilable? since i can't afford 12,000 for it..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
mine is PPO and yeah its 20% co pay..

if it cost 60,000 it will cost me 12,000 yikes... sounds too much. but if you have any clue if there's any funds avilable? since i can't afford 12,000 for it..
Yes there is fund opening.. you can im me private message.

Back