Binkies

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
So I have my 3 year old audtistic baby and she needed her bink at all times. Many have taken it away but she will scream for hours. She hides them all over the house. I had my binky taken when I was 1 and sucked my thumb from 1 until I was 18. I couldn't sleep with out a binky or my thumb. I personally don't see a point to taking it. Many people say things about teeth but we do have braces and I have perfect teeth although I sucked my thumb for years on end.
So I take it or wait until she is comfortable to leave it. Some days she doesn't use it just carries it around.

sounds like more of a security issue ( security blankets) my son wouldnt go anywhere without Baby Ho Ho ( a christmas themed fuzzy blanket) and I kept switching it out for ( Blue Owl) another blanket to break the habit... now at 5 he is finally out of the blanket stage unless he is hurt or going to the hospital then he wants his blankee !

My son loves the fuzzy blankets too. He won't go anywhere without his brown blanket. I don't see any reason to take these things away. My sister did suck her thumb for a long time and it did mess up her baby teeth but her adult teeth are fine. My son who's 3 sucks his thumb but I have no intention of making him stop until it's time for his adult teeth.

I went to high school and there were still girls sucking their thumbs and sucking on binkies???? needless to say, they were babies with babies before graduation... is that some sort of hint?

Its TOUGH! my daughter finally got rid of binkies when she was 3 yrs old. Her dentist explained everything about her teeth. She DID have a hard time letting it go, and eventually she got better. Yes she had brace for two years because of this binkie. I am not sure about your kid. I only think of replacing with something else that your kid loves the most?? treats? prize?? Hope things will work out for your kid.

I needed braces and I didn't even suck my thumb :shock:

I kind of agree, only based on that mom said I didn't use a binky or suck my thumb, and I needed braces anyway. I'm not so sure binkies are always the problem.

I like what Sono said - along the lines of it sometimes it's just a security issue and something else like a blanket could help suffice.

They have blankets that she also can't sleep without and once she fall asleep her bink is out. Her doctor today said everything looks fine, she can't talk fine for her age group and I am taking her to the dentist here soon. I have tried swapping with a toy or a chewing/teething ring. She will chew on her fingers until they bleed or she passes out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

It sounds like she Has a need to have something in her mouth message me I'll tell you more and things that may help

They were just getting practice for the real thing...."-)

Now hoichi!...so what about the boys who play with their thing-a-me-jigger?...I've seen that also (embarrassing)...I've heard some parents, in order to break the habit, put lemon juice on the binkie, even the fingers...Some parents let the child cry it out....fortunately, I never had that problem with mine.

Now hoichi!...so what about the boys who play with their thing-a-me-jigger?...I've seen that also (embarrassing)...I've heard some parents, in order to break the habit, put lemon juice on the binkie, even the fingers...Some parents let the child cry it out....fortunately, I never had that problem with mine.
Does it count if you cry out your own name? lol

Either had my sister how's kids are about the same age as mine:( my new baby hates binkies, but I am exclusively breast feeding so she hates plastic nippers lol but my other two were bottle and breast feed so they took the binks with no issues but I can't get them back. They are trying really hard to get their new sister to take a binky hehe they don't understand why she hates them

My daughter is breastfed so she isn't allowed to have one until she's a month old, but I usually don't give her one unless she's inconsolable or going to sleep because she won't sleep unless she's sucking on something.

Back