Best ways to experience music

TMac

Reaction score
Hey
I was wondering what the best techniques or methods you guys have found for experiencing music are besides sound. Do you find visuals most helpful, vibration, subtitles, bass, anything? Looking to get a better sense of what ways I can experience music better, since I want to get into music composition, but I want to get some good experience using the different tools available to make my music expressible in ways besides just sound. Thanks!

Hey
I was wondering what the best techniques or methods you guys have found for experiencing music are besides sound. Do you find visuals most helpful, vibration, subtitles, bass, anything? Looking to get a better sense of what ways I can experience music better, since I want to get into music composition, but I want to get some good experience using the different tools available to make my music expressible in ways besides just sound. Thanks!
I went to a music event recently that used ALOT OF lights and vibrations. The lights followed the beats (slow and fast and also very colorful). It was a neat experience! I am planning to buy music LED strip light to put on behind the TV like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Illumination-Sound-Activated-LED-Mood-Light-Strip-65-In/471985764 I am planning to use it with old MTV music videos (visual music art) on Youtube. I am getting a new cochlear implant in a few days! I hope I can enjoy the music with my implant!

The European thrush song, song bird, was his basses for his aha... was it 8th symphony?

for me to really get the music clearly especially with singing musicians I must have a video of the person singing so I can see the person's face and lips moving along with captioning. Art like watercolor in sync with music might be pretty cool. As well as dancing and lights. As you know music is so broad and tastes are different for each individuals.

Check out D-PAN for ASL music videos for ideas - https://dpan.tv/music-videos/dpanaslmusicvideos

I went to a music event recently that used ALOT OF lights and vibrations. The lights followed the beats (slow and fast and also very colorful). It was a neat experience! I am planning to buy music LED strip light to put on behind the TV like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-Illumination-Sound-Activated-LED-Mood-Light-Strip-65-In/471985764 I am planning to use it with old MTV music videos (visual music art) on Youtube. I am getting a new cochlear implant in a few days! I hope I can enjoy the music with my implant!

My mother came from a musical family and relatives. I grew up listening all kinds of classical music through my mother's piano and accordion. She let me touch her hands while she played. I can play a scale, though.

I do wear both of my hearing aids. My husband is an accomplished saxophonist. He used to play in symphony when he was younger. He wants to go to listen the Beethoven Seven symphony next year. He will use his hands and fingers around my hand as a saxophone and will do the music dancing. LOL Sometimes he will tap his foot. Yeah, he always does that to me every time we watch movies or tv when they play music.

My mother came from a musical family and relatives. I grew up listening all kinds of classical music through my mother's piano and accordion. She let me touch her hands while she played. I can play a scale, though.

I do wear both of my hearing aids. My husband is an accomplished saxophonist. He used to play in symphony when he was younger. He wants to go to listen the Beethoven Seven symphony next year. He will use his hands and fingers around my hand as a saxophone and will do the music dancing. LOL Sometimes he will tap his foot. Yeah, he always does that to me every time we watch movies or tv when they play music.
That’s cool. I think it is cute that he played with your hands. Are you profoundly deaf? Where is the Seventh Symphony concert that he planning to go to? I dated a deaf guy last summer who was very into music. I loved watching him signing and singing to the music. His face was so full of passion. It turned me on. He wasn’t right for me because every time we discuss something that he does not like, he would run to his cousin and tell him everything that I said to him. It seems to me like he needs to be bottle-fed by his family every time we have a real discussion. He took advantage of the fact that I can’t hear what is going on with him and his family. He behaved like I made him look good to his family by how “fucked up” I am. I sensed that he would become abusive to me emotionally. I feel that he would never respect anyone that is deaf because he speaks. It was a very very weird situation. I am wondering if the reason I am not comfortable is that I never relied on my family when I was in bad situations since I was 20 years old. They could only help me online. I only see them like once or twice a year. They are almost never there for me physically. Anyway, it really sucks to meet someone that has so many things in common with me that is not stable. I hope to meet another person who likes music. I hope my deafness does not bother this person. My cousins, siblings and I played on our grandparents' piano all the time when we visited them when we were little. I also played a brown and tan woodwind instrument (flute?) when I was in elementary music class. I went to the hearing school. I secretly enjoyed bothering hearing people by making noises! Thank you for triggering my memories of playing with the musical instruments!

That’s cool. I think it is cute that he played with your hands. Are you profoundly deaf? Where is the Seventh Symphony concert that he planning to go to? I dated a deaf guy last summer who was very into music. I loved watching him signing and singing to the music. His face was so full of passion. It turned me on. He wasn’t right for me because every time we discuss something that he does not like, he would run to his cousin and tell him everything that I said to him. It seems to me like he needs to be bottle-fed by his family every time we have a real discussion. He took advantage of the fact that I can’t hear what is going on with him and his family. He behaved like I made him look good to his family by how “fucked up” I am. I sensed that he would become abusive to me emotionally. I feel that he would never respect anyone that is deaf because he speaks. It was a very very weird situation. I am wondering if the reason I am not comfortable is that I never relied on my family when I was in bad situations since I was 20 years old. They could only help me online. I only see them like once or twice a year. They are almost never there for me physically. Anyway, it really sucks to meet someone that has so many things in common with me that is not stable. I hope to meet another person who likes music. I hope my deafness does not bother this person. My cousins, siblings and I played on our grandparents' piano all the time when we visited them when we were little. I also played a brown and tan woodwind instrument (flute?) when I was in elementary music class. I went to the hearing school. I secretly enjoyed bothering hearing people by making noises! Thank you for triggering my memories of playing with the musical instruments!

It will be at the San Antonio Symphony next year. Yes, I am profoundly deaf. Always wear hearing aids since I was a toddler. My parents usually play CDS or turntable (vinyl records) every single day all day long since I was born. When I moved out of the house, I suddenly realized it was so quiet. lol

Hubby has that quirk habit all his life. When we sit together, he usually puts his hand on my leg and pretend it is a saxophone and taps his fingers all the time. He currently has been playing with his Blues guitar now. He used to play with his Fender guitar, but he really prefers Blues guitar. Will sell Fender guitar soon.

I have been looking for albums of Robert Johnson to purchase for my Hubby. I was so surprised he had never heard of Robert Johnson before. Robert Johnson was pretty unknown at the time at the early 20th century because he had a difficult life and died so young. He was a Blues songwriter and musician. I am not sure If I remember his 29 songs were only produced. Many famous musicians are heavily influenced by Robert Johnson like Bonnie Raitt, Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton. I recently learned about Robert Johnson documentary from Netflix. I think it should still be on Netflix. Totally recommend it.

My sis in law used to be a music teacher at high school. She was fed up with all of her students want to play a popular instrument- alto saxophone, because it looks cool. She tried to convince them to try other instruments that work for them, but her students were too stubborn. She decided to come up with the evil plan by giving them a try- professional level saxophone for the first time. Professional level saxophone is more difficult to play with than beginner saxophone. Students were oblivious they played with a professional saxophone and they struggled to blow and play with it and gave up and go back to their original instruments. It worked for them successfully.

I was talking about it in my introduction, but I think I can add it here too.
I'm not deaf, but my husband is. I'm playing two instruments: the piano and the saxophone. My husband likes it when I'm playing these instruments, can touch my hands while I'm playing. Sometimes he says he can feel some vibration, especially from the sax. I can't imagine this, but I trust him. I even found the article on Medium about how deaf people can listen to music https://medium.com/@rachelelainemonica/how-deaf-people-experience-music-a313c3fa4bfd. I think the author gives the best explanation plus there are some videos with other people who tell their own stories. I found this article very informative. I'm thinking about buying a good saxophone like Yamaha just because I want my husband to feel the music better.
That's our slice of life.

~Aria

Back