Best Two Person App For In Person Communication?

wildlingo

Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for any help!

I work at a doctor's office and we would like an app to communicate with our patients who have hearing loss. We have ipads, so would like one where we speak into one ipad and it translates to text on the patient's ipad.

I have downloaded dragon dictation but don't like that you need to share the same device, and that you have to click "done" for it to show up. Is there something that can translate voice to text in real time, so we can have a conversation without interuption?

Thanks!

Thanks, we have already purchased ipads so will need to use something on those. I found the dragon dictation really accurate, but just don't like that I would have to pass it back and forth between the patient, it will slow things down.

On Skype there is a speech to text option available. I don't know how that sort of thing would work with a person to person in the same room though or if only that feature can be enabled/used without the need for video. With Skype too you can have the option of text as well.

For those who sign- use of VRI through iPad can be done (not the best in the world but from what I hear it works- mainly in office environment).

On Skype there is a speech to text option available. I don't know how that sort of thing would work with a person to person in the same room though or if only that feature can be enabled/used without the need for video. With Skype too you can have the option of text as well.

For those who sign- use of VRI through iPad can be done (not the best in the world but from what I hear it works- mainly in office environment).
Thanks! I will look into Skype and see if that could work for us :)

Thanks, we have already purchased ipads so will need to use something on those. I found the dragon dictation really accurate, but just don't like that I would have to pass it back and forth between the patient, it will slow things down.

It maybe slower than you are looking for. But . . . is it slower than writing by hand, keyboard or the repeating if they are trying to do lipreading?

It maybe slower than you are looking for. But . . . is it slower than writing by hand, keyboard or the repeating if they are trying to do lipreading?
No it is definitely faster than those options. I just feel like it would be even better if it could send the dictated text to the other ipad. I know there is this option if I used a messaging system and the ipad's built in dictation, but it is really bad at transcribing. Dragon is much better.

Another thing to keep in mind. Are you providing the iPads that you are expecting your patients to be using? Not everyone has an iPad nor do they all want one.

Another thing to keep in mind. Are you providing the iPads that you are expecting your patients to be using? Not everyone has an iPad nor do they all want one.

We have ipads in the clinic so we would give it to the patient when communicating in the clinic (it would stay here). Some patients speak ASL and interpreters are funded for doctors appointments, but not nursing or social work staff. It would be to use when we do not have an interpreter. Other patients have lost their hearing with age and do not speak ASL or lip read.

It is awesome to see a doctor's office being proactive at finding multiple methods of facilitating communication. Cool!

You mentioned trying Dragon. I haven't used it but according to the site info messages can be sent using SMS, email or copy/paste into another app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dragon-dictation/id341446764?mt=8

Theoretically, if you are issuing the patient an ipad then you could setup the different text addresses for each device in the contacts and send text messages to the patient's ipad.

Another speech to text app that is supposed to be comparable in quality to Dragon yet free is Speechnotes (https://speechnotes.co/#app). This one doesn't do SMS but can do email so you could email to the patient's ipad.

Wildlingo.

The best solution for your dental office is the same solution that is being used in doctors offices and in hospitals....VRI and real time text. The Deaf will use VRI and your patients with sevier hearing loss will use real-time text. As others have noted, speech to text is years away from being reliable. We have been working on that solution for over 4 years and won't have a viable offering for another 2 years if we are lucky. NexTalk has the business version of ACCESS, which provides you with real-time access to american sign language interpreters for the deaf, as well as interpreters for over 400 spoken languages, so you can use it for your patients that have limited English proficiency and it has real-time texting that you can use with your hard of hearing patients. www.nextalk.com

Back