Best things to say to a cancer patient?

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly, we have two close family members who have been diagnosed with cancer recently. Both are in the fight of their life. One with breast cancer the other with blood cancer. Both are at stage 3, undergoing radiation and chemo with more surgeries to come.

When sending a card, flowers or whatever.....what is the best thing to say?

One lives out of state, the other lives local. For the local family, I have been babysitting as much as possible and have let them know I am here for them 24/7.

When I open the blank card, I just don't seem to know the right words.....

The right words always stump me too....as for myself...if it were someone I knew very well...perhaps I would say..."Keep the Faith Always...and I Love You"....

"I am there for you so if you need anything, don't hesitate to tell me."

Something along that line of thought is what I would say.

if you're able to help the family member that is local do errands or help them get to their doctor appointments or help around the house in any way let them know this . I will let that I had neighbor that was 90 and lived alone and her health was getting poor. She told that friends send her cards telling her to call if she needed any help . I called my neighbor and told her if she needed any help to let me know . My neighbor told me my phone call meant to her than all the cards saying to call if she need help.
I something time when talking to a person your cab find the right words to say easier , I always have a hard time knowing what to write too.
You can let them how much you love them and ask if there is anything you can do for them. I am sorry to hear this , how are you doing with this yourself?

Sadly, we have two close family members who have been diagnosed with cancer recently. Both are in the fight of their life. One with breast cancer the other with blood cancer. Both are at stage 3, undergoing radiation and chemo with more surgeries to come.

When sending a card, flowers or whatever.....what is the best thing to say?

One lives out of state, the other lives local. For the local family, I have been babysitting as much as possible and have let them know I am here for them 24/7.

When I open the blank card, I just don't seem to know the right words.....

Angel, here are a few words for the cancer patient, "thinking of you and holding you close to my heart". Really just a few words will do it, enough so the person with cancer knows you care.

As someone that had breast cancer just say I thinking of you

I lost my grandma to cancer a few years back and there was one thing that made her happy. She hated pity, and cards, and people acting like this was the end. So we would talk about the future. I have meet a few people with cancer and I have noticed the treatment breaks down their spirits. They are looking for someone to pick them up and not dig their grave. Make them forget that they are going through the treatment, make them feel like life is the same as before they found out. Maybe bring them something from home. My grandma had a cat that she slept with every night. We asked the hospital if we could bring the cat in to help her sleep at night. They thought it was a wonderful idea. My grandmother was so excited she forgot she was in the hospital.
Best of luck to you and your love ones.

Back