Best Deaf Friendly Restaurants

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright, I won't lie, I like to eat. I've wondered about this for a while and some of us like to travel and we have our favorite spots to stop and grab a bite.

There are deaf owned and operated restaurants all over the United States, Canada, and abroad.

My question is, where are your favorite deaf friendly places? What makes it deaf friendly? Oh yeah, be sure to tip your waitresses graciously if they fail to bring you a braille menu after you mention that you cannot hear. :D

My favorite deaf friendly places happen to be on my university's main campus.
Starbucks because the barista's know that I can't hear and remember my orders. Also, I like eating at Which 'Which'? because the menu is printed on the sandwich bag. You check off your options and write your name on the bag. They lay it on the counter at the pick-up side when your order is ready.

So if you ever visit Arkansas Tech University for any reason, be sure to stop by the Baz-Tech Student Union building where these to places are located on campus. Feel free to add your own.

I assume you mean deaf instead of Deaf friendly, or both.

I don't know of any Deaf owned restaurants.

It depends on the deaf, but the group I am in is mostly HOH so we have a "quiet" restaurant meetup, once a month. On the other hand, if you are going with ASL people, the noise might not be an issue. And, if your primary focus is service(with the wait staff) that might be something that makes it a, "good" deaf friendly restaurant.

I'm not sure you will get any that fit everyone's needs, but some are better than others.

Alright, I won't lie, I like to eat. I've wondered about this for a while and some of us like to travel and we have our favorite spots to stop and grab a bite.

There are deaf owned and operated restaurants all over the United States, Canada, and abroad.

My question is, where are your favorite deaf friendly places? What makes it deaf friendly? Oh yeah, be sure to tip your waitresses graciously if they fail to bring you a braille menu after you mention that you cannot hear. :D

My favorite deaf friendly places happen to be on my university's main campus.
Starbucks because the barista's know that I can't hear and remember my orders. Also, I like eating at Which 'Which'? because the menu is printed on the sandwich bag. You check off your options and write your name on the bag. They lay it on the counter at the pick-up side when your order is ready.

So if you ever visit Arkansas Tech University for any reason, be sure to stop by the Baz-Tech Student Union building where these to places are located on campus. Feel free to add your own.

The Little Ceasaer's near my home. They know who I am, and exactly what I came for. They're pretty familiar with me.

There is Mozzeria's in San Francisco. As well as the "Rajin Cajun Cafe" in Seattle WA.
I sometimes bring Marcus (he has a hearing vest & ID) when we go to Nashville/Vanderbilt Hospital. We walked into one Mexican place and they welcomed all of us specifically mentioning Marcus. We went back later without him :) . (Lead him from temptation - he's good but it's too much of a tease and we don't feed him from any table.) But we've been to other restaurants there and they've all been fabulous. Went to a stupid, very touristy place in Charlestown, SC and were stopped at the door. We reported them in anger. But that was it. I don't know deaf or Deaf owned. One guy came over (Nashville) and signed and spoke to us. He was our waiter, and it made my life a whole lot easier. It's so much easier when people can do both. I'm far less tense and stressed.

I know one thing for certain, I hate going through drive throughs because I can barely hear the speaker and they apparently can't understand me. I tried pulling up to the window to place my order and nobody ever came to it.

If I had more money, I'd go to a real place and get real food, but I do wonder what kind of deaf friendly places are here in the Vegas area?

I know one thing for certain, I hate going through drive throughs because I can barely hear the speaker and they apparently can't understand me. I tried pulling up to the window to place my order and nobody ever came to it.

If I had more money, I'd go to a real place and get real food, but I do wonder what kind of deaf friendly places are here in the Vegas area?

That happens. I'd bypass the speaker and drive up the window. Sometimes there would be no one there so I would knock on the window. You should see their faces when they see me. They are either confused or upset that I didn't go to the speaker first until I tell them why.

Some buffet where you just pay first then get your own food and beverage. That's really easy to do.

That happens. I'd bypass the speaker and drive up the window. Sometimes there would be no one there so I would knock on the window. You should see their faces when they see me. They are either confused or upset that I didn't go to the speaker first until I tell them why.

I was in a particularly bad mood and considered laying on the horn, but I'll try knocking on the window next time.. If I can reach it.

I remember the first time I took my roommate out to eat, it was just to taco bell (I'm poor, what can I say? lol) and my roommate kept getting frustrated that I couldn't hear the speaker and my attempt to pull up to the window for ordering before trying the speaker failed. I also had to turn the car off as it was too much noise to hear over.

Some buffet where you just pay first then get your own food and beverage. That's really easy to do.

One of the many buffets in the Vegas area? lol

One of the many buffets in the Vegas area? lol

:P I always wanted to try one of those, but never been there, and since I don't gamble, I probably wouldn't be a very welcome customer!

:P I always wanted to try one of those, but never been there, and since I don't gamble, I probably wouldn't be a very welcome customer!

I played a slot machine once on the strip, but that was because the person who fed money into it asked if I wanted to pull the handle on the machine, but I have no interest in gambling either (But it is warm and not at all humid here).

They have buffets and you don't need to gamble to enter :)

The drinks are free if you play the slots/gamble.

I've been to Vegas twice and I enjoyed it. The buffets were great!

The Little Ceasaer's near my home. They know who I am, and exactly what I came for. They're pretty familiar with me.

Not picking on you, per se but out of some of the responses here, yours was the most glaring: I say going to the same place all the time and ordering the same thing every time doesn't make the place deaf friendly. They still don't know one iota about deafness.......

Not picking on you, per se but out of some of the responses here, yours was the most glaring: I say going to the same place all the time and ordering the same thing every time doesn't make the place deaf friendly. They still don't know one iota about deafness.......

That's true. Before I started losing my hearing I used to go to a place & order the same thing for lunch. There were times the one gal had my order ready before I got the the head of the line.

I know one thing for certain, I hate going through drive throughs because I can barely hear the speaker and they apparently can't understand me.

If you have a tablet or laptop, write out the order and show it at the window, in big print.

That's true. Before I started losing my hearing I used to go to a place & order the same thing for lunch. There were times the one gal had my order ready before I got the the head of the line.

Poor you.....I hope you're at least getting your favorite food in the whole world! :lol:

I went to few restaurants in the two cities outside of the island in Canada and they have buffets. My husband and I used to love going out there for buffets and enjoy eating. The food always taste delicious. I think they are deaf friendly, even if they don't know anything about deafness. :hmm:

Here in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I have not gone to the restaurants lately since I moved here last September. Someday I will. :fingersx: I love restaurants. :cool2:

I do not eat at buffets anymore, there are two many people sticking their hands into the food . GROSS! I once saw a woman play with the jello , she kept poking it with her fingers . :shock:

Actually that's not true. There are a lot of deafies around here in Rogers Park, so the local restaurants have to be prepared when one walks in.

Actually that's not true. There are a lot of deafies around here in Rogers Park, so the local restaurants have to be prepared when one walks in.

Ok, then why are you always ordering the same thing every time you go there?

Back