Best city/town for a Deaf person to live in?

Liza

Reaction score
Hi, guys.. sorry I've been away from the board, life's crazies.
So, in your opinion, what is/are the best place/s in USA for a Deaf person to live in? What makes those places best for a Deaf person to live in?

I cant judge since everyone is different and have different preferences.

Or did u mean for job opportunities for Deaf people?

shel: I am interested in your opinion and experience, so dont worry about what others prefer. :)

Yes, all the positive things - easy access, friendly hearies, etc.

In my opinion, it's generally the same across well known US for major cities. It depends on the individuals who approaches the town. Not everyone are treated equal. I think it's different story with small towns, some are good to live in and some others aren't.

My opinion, it must be:

Washington DC : Because of Gallaudet University and have some of "Deaf Town" there.
Southern California: A lot of deaf people there, a big deaf community there.
New York: Goes the same as Southern California

For Deaf singles with no children, Washington DC due to Gallaudet University and govt jobs. People in DC are cool with deaf people.

For Deaf with families, Frederick, MD due to a large deaf community there with families. Many hearing people who live in Frederick are so used to deaf people and some of them have learned sign by simply living in Frederick.

I would love to live in DC but too expensive so I live in Baltimore instead. Frederick is not my kind of town.

I would love to live in DC but too expensive so I live in Baltimore instead. Frederick is not my kind of town.
Cool. I generally agree with you that metro DC is easily the best area for a Deaf person to live in. Baltimore's not bad, but the Deaf community there isn't as good as metro DC, nor is it as good as the one found in Frederick. Wasn't there a Deaf club on N. Charles St.?

I used to live in Baltimore for three years. I liked the city, especially Inner Harbor. However, for my 'Deaf Fix', I had to go to DC. Thankfully, that drive is only like 45 minutes away!

Yupp NYC (New York City) as proper ;) Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Well, I would think you may be mistaken. Don't get me wrong; the Deaf community is pretty big and active in NYC. However, a tiny city by the name of Rochester, in upstate NY, still waxes its big brother when it comes to a top-notch Deaf community.

Well, I would think you may be mistaken. Don't get me wrong; the Deaf community is pretty big and active in NYC. However, a tiny city by the name of Rochester, in upstate NY, still waxes its big brother when it comes to a top-notch Deaf community.

Ohh that's right, I forgot about that. The RID NTID school right?

For me I grew up in a small rural area. Deaf culture here is pretty much non-existent. There are 3-4 people here who are deaf/ severe profound hard of hearing, but they rarely contact each other.

Im hoping with my close proximity to Russellville, that we can get a deaf coffee chat going at Starbucks once a month if we can get some deaf/HH folks rounded up. I think there's more around in Russellville who may be in similar circumstances but looking for that deaf community in which they feel like they fit into.

Cool deal, guys, about DC, Rochester and MD..
I think it is hard to live in places where Deaf people don't contact each other, or live too far away from each other.

I must said Wash DC cuz since I am not students at Gallaudet and I decided to stay in DC to start my new life and got full time work at Gallaudet as Staff Resident Asst (SRA) for Clerc Hall and DC got great deaf community

It is hard to find a deaf town in a small village or small town. I have deaf friends that lives on the reservation across the island and I have to visit them far over there to meet them and socialize them. The best place to go find a deaf town is Toronto, Ottawa, and Belleville. They have good advantage for deaf people to meet other deaf people in the deaf club, deaf bowling and in the church where there is interpreter for the deaf. I manage to find them at the hearing society or happen to meet some of the deaf on the street. :wave:

Do not come here.

West Virginia is the worst place on earth for the deaf and hard of Hearing. I been here for 20 years and I am still trying to get out.:pissed:

West Virginia is the worst place on earth for the deaf and hard of Hearing. I been here for 20 years and I am still trying to get out.:pissed:
Why can't you get out?

Jan - thanks for the warning! I hope you get out, honey. It sounds like it is quite difficult for you.

Haa, thanks PowerOn - what about Houston?

No where to go.

Why can't you get out?

I am married to a man i can not stand, have no job, no money.I am trap here. It feels like a bike in a car lot. As far as people like us forget about it.

Back