Best alarm system

Rom

Reaction score
I have the approximate hearing capability of a lightbulb, and because of that, I'm not always aware of alarms, and other such things. I'm just wondering if there's some system out there that would alert me to noises at the door (I won't hear it open and close so if there's someone in my house, i wont know) and my alarm clock (which managed to wake everyone but me up today)

You can get motion sensors that will let you know if someone enters your house, room, etc. by turning on a light. As to an alarm clock, the Sonic Boom has a model that comes with a pillow vibrator that should wake you up, it also has an aloarm that will wake the dead!

A sonic boom vibrating clock would work well for you as far as sleeping. Check out products at Harriscomm.com Their catalog is extensive. Many of us here have bought their products so I can vouch for them. They may have something for a home alarm system too.

Last edited:
Harris does have a very good reputation and an extensive catalog. If you find something you want you might want to compare from other sources as well especially if you live in Illinois.
We pay the sales tax rate from the location they ship from NOT the rate for the community where we live. Even between different places within Illinois they can vary by quite a number of percentage points.

That's not the first time you've talked about tax rates. But I would refuse to shop all day just to save mere cents or dollars. A $30 item at 7% is 2.10, a $30 dollar item at 10% is 3.00. That's a difference of a mere .90 cents. Who has time to shop all day just to save .90 cents?

That's not the first time you've talked about tax rates. But I would refuse to shop all day just to save mere cents or dollars. A $30 item at 7% is 2.10, a $30 dollar item at 10% is 3.00. That's a difference of a mere .90 cents. Who has time to shop all day just to save .90 cents?

I agree with you for an item at that price level. The big but is that some things are hundreds of dollars and it can add up in that case. Also don't forget how fast computer searches can be.

How fast a computer search is is not a major factor in where I decide to buy something.

7% of say.. 200 is 14.00 while 10% of 200 is 20.00. a difference of 6.00. @ 2,000 it's 140 and 200 respectively. It's still not a huge difference unless you are an extreme penny pincher. There are other factors to factor in such as gas to go get the item or shipping costs.

In the end most people don't bother to 'compare' shop as either they need the item NOW or they don't have the time to sift through all the searches fast or not. I know I have all time in the world right now (just no money) but it does tiresome to do that. Big ticket items yes I compare shop but not solely based on price or the tax rate.

Oh.. by the way-- I ditto Harris Communications. I have a sonic boom clock that is 15 years old and still running. Granted sometimes it turns itself off when I leave the lamp on (I have no idea why- never did before) but still works.

Amazon might have some stuff but better to stick with companies that do specialize in deaf (or deafblind) equipment.

I come from a town in Illinois where the sales tax rate is either 6.25% or 6.5% depending on which county the store is in (those are the two that I know of retail stores in not sure of the other two of the 4 that meet in town). I was thinking of having found a certain product that I wish to buy and then compare who has that at what total cost = product, tax and shipping if needed rather than just able to walk in and buy.

I come from a town in Illinois where the sales tax rate is either 6.25% or 6.5%.

You should feel better because that is cheaper than Chicago and some places...

Sales tax? What's that? :p (lives in a "tax free", as in sales tax, state).

I live alone and the thought of someone coming into my apartment, unheard, just terrifies me so I can relate. I did, finally, move into a building with a security door in the lobby that requires visitors to be "buzzed" in.
On the same topic; does anyone know of a device for your car that will alert you when sirens are approaching? I have had a couple of close calls with ambulances and police cars, especially, when they come up behind me and I don't happen to see the lights in my rearview mirror.

What I found which is really nice since I have Phillips Hue at home that connected to Nest Smoke/Co detector and now that Ring floodlight Cam outside support Hue. So anyone who walk or drive toward the driveway, the floodlight will come on and indoor lights will come on (it's because Ring connect to Hue). That will alert me that someone is outside before it approach to the door. And at the same time it will alert on your phone and see who is out there. Also if you go away for vacation, if someone walk to the house the floodlight will come on and the indoor lights come on make it look like someone is home. That will scare them way.
Here's more info about it and video below:
ring.com

Last edited:
What I found which is really nice since I have Phillips Hue at home that connected to Nest Smoke/Co detector and now that Ring floodlight Cam outside. So anyone who walk or drive toward the driveway, the floodlight will come on and indoor lights will come on (it's because Ring support Hue). That will alert me that someone is outside before it approach to the door. And at the same time it will alert on your phone and see who is out there. Also if you go away for vacation, if someone walk to the house the floodlight will come on and the indoor lights come on make it look like someone is home. That will scare them way.
Here's more info about it and video below:
ring.com

Cost to get all this and on going costs???

For Phillips Hue, there are few starter kits. I look at Amazon and one cost $65 for two bulbs and then you can add more bulbs for other rooms. And for Ring Floodlight Cam is like about $250. There's no on going cost. the only requirement is have someone to help you install wiring for the outdoor floodlight and camera. You know with Nest smoke alarm, if there's fire going on, it will light up flashing red. If there outdoor activity going on, it will light up white.

Back