Bernafon SmilePlus

Jaana

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm sort of taking the previous guys idea but, I currently wear a Siemens analog hearing aid and in two weeks I will be trying the Bernafon SmilePlus - my first time trying digital hearing aids. The only thing that sort of bothers me is using a remote for the hearing aid -- because knowing me I will probably lose it -- does anyone have this hearing aid or know any pros or cons about it? If not -- no worries.... I will find out in about two weeks :)

Hmmm....i have no idea! Sorry! But i go have a question and since you're getting a new hearing aid i may as well ask it here coz i think you may know! lol. How often should i get a new hearing aid? I've had the same one for 3 years now...is it time? What about the mould? I havent had my hearing tested since i got it either so...lol

I'm prolly not the best person to ask mostly because I have a habit of wearing hearing aids and moulds to the max. What I've been told tho is that hypothetically hearing aids aren't supposed to last more than 5 years. I've had my Siemens about 5 years and they are cutting in and out and it's time for new ones... However.. I have an old Phonak as a spare that's going strong on it's 13th year. I guess it depends how you take care of them and how good the manufacturer is. Moulds - I like to replace after every year/year and a half but due to expenses I usually wait longer. I have no idea what the "requirement" is on that.

I've heard of this hearing aid. I've never liked digital hearing aids. They're a pain in the ass and you have to go somewhere that's got the equipment in order to fix it since it's all done by computer, ugh! I used to have a digital hearing aid. It only lasted 9 months before it stopped working. By the time I went to have it fixed, the warranty expired. Grr! I am still wearing my original analog hearing aid, that I've been wearing for over 10 years! Whoa!

Yeh.. I have heard the rumors about digital hearing aids not lasting as long. This is also part of my debate with myself. Well, I guess if I don't like it I will go back to analog.

Jaana said:
Yeh.. I have heard the rumors about digital hearing aids not lasting as long. This is also part of my debate with myself. Well, I guess if I don't like it I will go back to analog.
Who's paying for it? Is it worth wasting money on?

VamPyroX said:
Who's paying for it? Is it worth wasting money on?

The gov't covers a portion of it and I will figure out the rest IF I like it. It's certainately worth the trial period to see what it's like right?

Jaana said:
The gov't covers a portion of it and I will figure out the rest IF I like it. It's certainately worth the trial period to see what it's like right?
I guess so... it's up to you. A couple friends of mine convinced me that it was worth it. I had my VR pay for it and after I stopped wearing them later, I found out that my friends had already stopped wearing them while I was wearing mine.

VamPyroX said:
I've heard of this hearing aid. I've never liked digital hearing aids. They're a pain in the ass and you have to go somewhere that's got the equipment in order to fix it since it's all done by computer, ugh! I used to have a digital hearing aid. It only lasted 9 months before it stopped working. By the time I went to have it fixed, the warranty expired. Grr! I am still wearing my original analog hearing aid, that I've been wearing for over 10 years! Whoa!
That's weird, my son who is 3 1/2 and HOH, he has digital hearing aids and has had no problems with it.. guess it depends on which digital hearing aid you use?

I have a Siemens digital hearing aid, it's going on to 6 years. I still haven't had any problems with it. I don't have a remote for it though.
I guess everyone has different experiences.
My sister on the other hand has had nothing but problems with hers, then again she doesn't own a Siemens.
I wonder could it also depend on the hearing aid maker?

Last edited:
Back