Bell Cannada IP-Relay - Possible CRTC violation?

Mark Rejhon

Reaction score
(written to Bell, copied here)
CC: CRTC
To Bell Canada,

Recently, you made a change to your IP Relay service that makes the process of making a phone call slower and longer. Your IP Relay service login procedure has become unacceptable, and a possible violation of "ease of disability access" which might be a CRTC violation, which needs to be amended.

1. I go to www.bell.ca/iprelay
  2. It displays a notice that I tried to access ip-relay in the wrong place
  3. Next, I am redirected to the login page. I enter my username and password. Sometimes it takes a long time because I am forced to login through Bell's existing slow "My Bell" system (which can be very slow)
  4. Next, I am forced to re-confirm my 911 address EVERY TIME I MAKE AN ORDINARY PHONE CALL. (this should be prompted only occasionally)
    I have to then click "Continue"
  5. Next, I finally reach the page that asks me to enter a phone number to call.
  6. Finally, I have a Bell Canada IP-Relay operator.
  7. Whenever lots of people are doing online bill payments through "My Bell" website, it can take more than 3 minutes before I am able to begin dialing a phone call. Imagine picking up a phone and waiting 3 minutes for a dial tone!

This is unacceptable, because a hearing person can just pick up a telephone and simply dial a phone number. Please change the process to the following:

1. Go to www.bell.ca/iprelay
  2. Login should be immediately prompted
    Login bypasses "My Bell" billing web site slowdowns.
  3. Next screen should be made so that a number can be dialed immediately.

This is more industry standard, similiar to other web sites that does IP-Relay in the U.S. This will still be longer than a hearing person to call a regular telephone, but less cumbersome.

The 911 address should only be prompted at first login, and occasionally (i.e. monthly). It should not be prompted every single login. A "Change 911 Address" link can be added to the dialer screen.

I hope that Bell Canada can address the problems relating to IP-Relay. If Bell wishes to contact me, they may do so. My family is the only one in Canada with the last name, so you can easily look up my account. However, email is always the easiest -- mark05[at]magma.ca

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Mark - It also makes it so it does not work on my blackberry or mobile device. One reason I really wanted IP Relay was so I could make calls from my mobile device. You can call using the other relay services in Canada without the extra logins. Mention to Bell that you can visit other sites that use iprelayservice.net from most of the other carriers in Canada (other than Rogers).

Back