Bald Eagles are Dying in Utah. :(

I am glad they found the cause. I wonder where the grebes ate the mosquitoes, if that is indeed how they caught the West Nile virus.
They said it was probably a food chain cause. I don't know at what stage the mosquitoes are involved. Good question.

I am glad they found the cause. I wonder where the grebes ate the mosquitoes, if that is indeed how they caught the West Nile virus.
:confused:

From ChicagoBlue2's link above;

"It's possible that those grebes got bit by mosquitoes after they got here when they arrived in the fall, and it just took a while for them to die."

Eagles ate those dead ducks infected with virus.

:confused:

From ChicagoBlue2's link above;

Eagles ate those dead ducks infected with virus.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't read the article and always thought grebes and the duck family do not get bitten by skeeters. I live and learn, I declare! :lol:

There is no way to stop the eagles from eating grebes so it looks like there will be a lot more eagles dying. :( Grebes eat fish too and some fish eat insects so I wonder if the grebes got sick from eating fish.

There is no way to stop the eagles from eating grebes so it looks like there will be a lot more eagles dying. :( Grebes eat fish too and some fish eat insects so I wonder if the grebes got sick from eating fish.
Mosquitoes don't survive during winter so there will be less dead ducks/eagles. That's what the article said.

Back